SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #4,293 of 8,639
I will be looking into exactly how the Sony app crashes to see what the pattern is. I will report back.

EDIT. Ok first thing I notice is that I'm running Firmware v1. So I will update to the latest first.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #4,294 of 8,639
Just received my Oriolus BA300S about 18 days earlier than expected. Connected to my zx507 and listening to my Campfire audio Solaris, I actually turned off the eq. I had been adding about 2.5db at 60hz and 2db at 31hz just for a little extra low end Punch. With the ba300s, I actually put the DAP in Direct mode, cuz that low end Punch is so nasty(wonderful) I didn't need to add anything. The detail, the staging, the warmth. It's sounds amazing....to me. My Chord Mojo/iPhone 7 combo is sitting in my bag as a "for my friends to listen to" device, I guess, cuz after the ba300S I have what I want as much as I can think now. Can't wait to try with my LCD-i4. EQ is dialed in for those, so adding the amp should be awesome. I love this player and I really love this combo!

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #4,295 of 8,639
Just received my Oriolus BA300S about 18 days earlier than expected. Connected to my zx507 and listening to my Campfire audio Solaris, I actually turned off the eq. I had been adding about 2.5db at 60hz and 2db at 31hz just for a little extra low end Punch. With the ba300s, I actually put the DAP in Direct mode, cuz that low end Punch is so nasty(wonderful) I didn't need to add anything. The detail, the staging, the warmth. It's sounds amazing....to me. My Chord Mojo/iPhone 7 combo is sitting in my bag as a "for my friends to listen to" device, I guess, cuz after the ba300S I have what I want as much as I can think now. Can't wait to try with my LCD-i4. EQ is dialed in for those, so adding the amp should be awesome. I love this player and I really love this combo!
I also run the lcdi4's with the 507. Sounds excellent

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #4,296 of 8,639
The Sony Music Player app crashed three times today. The music is playing but the app does not respond to touches. I have to quit the app to get things going again. Has anyone else experienced this?
I had such trouble a few times. Try to restart device. not just an app.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4,297 of 8,639
The Sony Music Player app crashed three times today. The music is playing but the app does not respond to touches. I have to quit the app to get things going again. Has anyone else experienced this?
Not had it once and use it all the time. Turn mine off after each listening session.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #4,298 of 8,639
I’m still searching for my “end game” and have been struggling to consider all aspects like, personal opinion/reference, technical compatibility/features as well as trying to find my own taste/feelings.

I’ve played and produced music for the most part of my life and feel that I have good knowledge on what’s a really well produced record and really prefer to listen to music where you can hear the dynamics and not overly compressed stuff. Although I’m both into Jazz, Prog as well as metal. 😊

I guess that I should add that I’m confident that I’ve not destroyed my hearing. Still use almost only 30-40% how the volume when listening independent of most devices. Above 50% is unbearable for me. 😊

I got the MDR-Z1Rs which I will not part with since I really believe these can deliver and I do like them through whatever I play them with. So the struggle is more down to what to settle with when it comes to DAP/DAC.

I’ve only streamed everything from iPhone to the DAC/DAP being it from Tidal or local FLAC with Vox. At the moment I’ve tried Mojo, Hugo 2 and TA-ZH1ES. And to be fair I’m questioning my own capabilities to hear the differences. I did A/B the Mojo vs Hugo and how funny it may sound it seemed like I preferred the Mojo. The TA was really pleasant with Z1R but there I instead had the issue when doing A/B with or without Kimbal cable. Once again, all of it always played through a phone.

so the question comes down to if there’s a difference in going the portable route with WM1 or ZX507? Is there a difference in the way these handles the files (maybe even the Streams) then a phone? Surely it cannot just be conveniences, or?

Also should I go for the ZX507 I guess I will enjoy it with the 1000XM4 in the future so that might be another gain. And when the time and price is right, maybe even buy the TA once again to have the trinity.😊

please share your thoughts since I’m somewhat confused and need some guidens. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #4,299 of 8,639
does anyone know impedance of 1000xm4?
and what does "UNIT TURN ON/OFF" mean? 105 and 101 db/mW
SENSITIVITIES (DB/MW)105 dB / mW (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on), 101 dB / mW (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #4,300 of 8,639
does anyone know impedance of 1000xm4?
and what does "UNIT TURN ON/OFF" mean? 105 and 101 db/mW
SENSITIVITIES (DB/MW)105 dB / mW (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on), 101 dB / mW (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)

It has two operation modes if you use analog input of the xm4

Off mode (xm4 internal amp turned off). No noise cancellation with this mode. This mode purely relies on the power of your zx507 amplifer.

On mode means you can use analog input along with noise cancellation. This mode sounds nicer as there is Sony sound tuning applied. It applies xm4 internal amplification on top of your zx507 amplifer.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #4,301 of 8,639
I’m still searching for my “end game” and have been struggling to consider all aspects like, personal opinion/reference, technical compatibility/features as well as trying to find my own taste/feelings.

I’ve played and produced music for the most part of my life and feel that I have good knowledge on what’s a really well produced record and really prefer to listen to music where you can hear the dynamics and not overly compressed stuff. Although I’m both into Jazz, Prog as well as metal. 😊

I guess that I should add that I’m confident that I’ve not destroyed my hearing. Still use almost only 30-40% how the volume when listening independent of most devices. Above 50% is unbearable for me. 😊

I got the MDR-Z1Rs which I will not part with since I really believe these can deliver and I do like them through whatever I play them with. So the struggle is more down to what to settle with when it comes to DAP/DAC.

I’ve only streamed everything from iPhone to the DAC/DAP being it from Tidal or local FLAC with Vox. At the moment I’ve tried Mojo, Hugo 2 and TA-ZH1ES. And to be fair I’m questioning my own capabilities to hear the differences. I did A/B the Mojo vs Hugo and how funny it may sound it seemed like I preferred the Mojo. The TA was really pleasant with Z1R but there I instead had the issue when doing A/B with or without Kimbal cable. Once again, all of it always played through a phone.

so the question comes down to if there’s a difference in going the portable route with WM1 or ZX507? Is there a difference in the way these handles the files (maybe even the Streams) then a phone? Surely it cannot just be conveniences, or?

Also should I go for the ZX507 I guess I will enjoy it with the 1000XM4 in the future so that might be another gain. And when the time and price is right, maybe even buy the TA once again to have the trinity.😊

please share your thoughts since I’m somewhat confused and need some guidens. Thanks in advance.

Well I've had in recent history: ZX2, ZX300, A105, HA2-SE, Mojo, Hugo2, DFR, DFC, M11, R5, R3, BTR3, BTR5, V30 and now have just the ZX507(Japanese) and BTR5. Won't go silly price DAP's but had to try a Hugo 2 & AK's all ugly IMO.

Now I only listen to sensitive IEM's mostly Noble K10U now but also Shure SE846 and I'm enjoying my audio now more than I ever had. If you have demanding headphones the ZX507 isn't the best choice (Hugo2 or Mojo) but for IEM's and especially via balanced its as good as perfect for me with the Walkman App and Tidal App for streamed service. I've never run out of battery yet either but never really listen longer than 5hrs in one session.

Its not night & day differences but sound sig/tuning makes the difference I think. Dead quiet noise floor for me too. If your only going to use SE I'd say also consider the A105 if it still has enough power for what you need to drive (not EU/UK version of either though).

Unlike some Android DAP"s the A105 & ZX507 seem much more stable and lack of bit-perfect outside of Walkman app a non-issue since the latest firmware (to my ears anyway, if not technically perfect).

If you don't need streaming then the 1A/1Z if you want to pay that much or need long battery life. Not heard either but many saying ZX507 on parr with 1A sound quality if you have good synergy with your IEM.

I just use ZX507 direct without any EQ or fancy tricks.

For demanding headphones I'd still pick a Hugo2 or maybe even the DFC which I prefered over Mojo.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #4,302 of 8,639
@psikey In terms of my needs, I couldn't agree more. I just am not a headphone guy (I despise sweaty ears and the clamping feel and weight of all but the lightest of hp's; and on-ears are a giant "no effing way, man" for me), so the ZX-507 driving my old, but tried & true XBA-Z5 (32 ohms, I believe) via 4.4mm output has been all I could want.

I had been away from the audio game until pretty recently, so am astounded by the ability to obtain such high quality sound at mid-level (compared to 5+ years ago, I mean) prices. For example, a few weeks ago I sold my Astell & Kern AK-120ii DAP. I bought that thing brand new in January 2015, paid ~$1,600USD (not even full retail at the time), and sold it in pretty much mint condition for only $300USD.

I just did not use the 120ii, or my Z5's much the past few years. The pandemic caused me to somewhat get into audio again, on a shallow level at least, so my Z5's have been getitng heavy use. I decided I wanted a new toy, and thus the ZX-507 happened. In terms of software, screen and build, the ZX-507 wins in a landslide, as it should being 6 years newer. In terms of sound, for me, it likewise wins, and I liked the sound of the 120ii just fine, fwiw.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #4,303 of 8,639
@psikey In terms of my needs, I couldn't agree more. I just am not a headphone guy (I despise sweaty ears and the clamping feel and weight of all but the lightest of hp's; and on-ears are a giant "no effing way, man" for me), so the ZX-507 driving my old, but tried & true XBA-Z5 (32 ohms, I believe) via 4.4mm output has been all I could want.

I had been away from the audio game until pretty recently, so am astounded by the ability to obtain such high quality sound at mid-level (compared to 5+ years ago, I mean) prices. For example, a few weeks ago I sold my Astell & Kern AK-120ii DAP. I bought that thing brand new in January 2015, paid ~$1,600USD (not even full retail at the time), and sold it in pretty much mint condition for only $300USD.

I just did not use the 120ii, or my Z5's much the past few years. The pandemic caused me to somewhat get into audio again, on a shallow level at least, so my Z5's have been getitng heavy use. I decided I wanted a new toy, and thus the ZX-507 happened. In terms of software, screen and build, the ZX-507 wins in a landslide, as it should being 6 years newer. In terms of sound, for me, it likewise wins, and I liked the sound of the 120ii just fine, fwiw.
I also don't use headphones now other than a set of Audeze Mobius I use for 3D gaming/TV.

If the poster doesn't want to spend big then I still regard the Fiio BTR5 as amazing wired & via BT for ~£75. I only use that out of house though since getting the ZX507.

For home its my KEF LSX speakers or ZX507 with K10U via balanced. Out & about my BTR5 with SE846 balanced.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #4,304 of 8,639
I’m seriously considering the zx507 as a true upgrade to a Shanling m0. I only use IEMs. I primarily listen to music via my flac collection on a large capacity sd card, so streaming is just a bonus. The reason I’d go with the 507 over the 105 is the better battery and the reason I’d go with the 507 over the zx300 is the audio quality is supposedly far superior on the 507 (plus usb-c).

Can anyone confirm it’d be totally fine to buy the zx505, since it can be bought new cheaper? It’s just a matter of changing language from Chinese to English, correct? No other differences?

Also, Sony’s firmware support is typically really solid and lasts for years, right? Should only expect improvements, additional features, etc?

Lastly, has anyone used an Etymotic IEM with the 507? How’s that pairing? I have and really enjoy the er2xr. Thank you!

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #4,305 of 8,639
Thanks for replying so quick! I just want to confirm that I will not part with my MDR-Z1Rs. These will be following me for years to come. And when it comes to spending money that is not an issue as long as there’s good return for the investment. That’s why I was so confused with the Hugo 2 not giving me either good sound nor “feeling”. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back