SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 3, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #4,276 of 8,642
hi!
can u tell me when should I turn on/off upsampling?
should I turn it off when dsd is played?
...— when 96/24 + pcm is played?
does it effect on dsd?
how does it effect soundstage etc?

I think you have to listen and decide what best works for your ears and gears.

DSEE HX AI upsampling effect is like a smart computer brain constantly adjusting the music to make it sound more dynamic/engaging to listen to.

But AI Upsampling is not everyone's cup of tea, as it changes the music quite abit and doesn't sound so original anymore as it messes with soundstage, tonality and etc.

Also upsampling consumes more battery.

There's no need to turn off upsampling when playing DSD if you like the soundstage effect.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #4,277 of 8,642
Does any of you have a Sony NW-ZX507 case for sale, or they can help me procuring one and ship it to Sweden? For some reason the Sony case with P/N CKL-NWZX500 is not being sold anywhere in Europe and it's probably sold only in some Asian countries like South Korea, Japan, Singapore and so on.

I cannot understand how Sony can sell such a premium product without offering a case/pouch with this product. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #4,279 of 8,642
Does any of you have a Sony NW-ZX507 case for sale, or they can help me procuring one and ship it to Sweden? For some reason the Sony case with P/N CKL-NWZX500 is not being sold anywhere in Europe and it's probably sold only in some Asian countries like South Korea, Japan, Singapore and so on.

I cannot understand how Sony can sell such a premium product without offering a case/pouch with this product. :rolling_eyes:

There a plenty to be found on either AliExpress or eBay that will ship worldwide no problems. Anything from the very basic case to the expensive Dignis cases really.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #4,280 of 8,642
hello to all,
am I right that ZX507 EU would be unusable with my IER Z1r because of the volume cap?

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #4,281 of 8,642
hello to all,
am I right that ZX507 EU would be unusable with my IER Z1r because of the volume cap?
u need to try them. perhaps, it will be enough, however, I strongly recommend u to order a japanese (nonEU) version.
for example hifiman ananda does well with zx500 on balanced 4.4 high gain connection.
but it is under-powered on low gain. and SE 3.5 mm high gain is also not enough.
with extra power u will have more room to maneuver with EQ settings. for instance I use my mdr 1Am2 on high gain 4.4. SE 3.5 high gain is not enough to power bass spectrum. on highgain 4.4 I usually listen them from 50 to 100 volume, depending from surrounding (home or street). rarely I maxed to 114 if I need to feel the bass. when going further up zx500 will automaticly reduce bass volume, so that u need to turn down to 100 and then go up again to 112-114 to reach the max available SPL the headphones gain handle.
same was with hifiman ananda. I was confused why there were more bass on flat EQ than on +8 / 10 bass frequencies:smile:. when I switch eq presets on maxed volume.
I feel powerful pllayback of bass guitar on dumb nirvana on flat eq, but I feel no expected bass on dada life (or other electro-house / house / hip-hop music)
I figured that out only when I started from lower volume and gradually increased it.
by the way. dynamic volume normalizer will assist u to boost up volume on harder to drive headphones.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #4,282 of 8,642
Can you disable the pass code so when you hit the power button it goes right into the music player like the NW-A45/A55?
I switched from password to pattern. it's easier and faster to unlock.

Aug 5, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #4,283 of 8,642
I love my Sony NW-ZX507, but I have tinnitus and as it is an EU model it worked well with in-ear headphones for me (I don't listen at maximum volume), but they trigger my tinnitus. As the EU capped Sony NW-ZX507 do not drive my Utopia Focal headphones, I am going to be selling mine. Sad to see it go but I am ordering an uncapped DAP to replace them, I am not sure which yet.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #4,287 of 8,642
I think you have to listen and decide what best works for your ears and gears.

DSEE HX AI upsampling effect is like a smart computer brain constantly adjusting the music to make it sound more dynamic/engaging to listen to.

But AI Upsampling is not everyone's cup of tea, as it changes the music quite abit and doesn't sound so original anymore as it messes with soundstage, tonality and etc.

Also upsampling consumes more battery.

There's no need to turn off upsampling when playing DSD if you like the soundstage effect.
hello!
do u know if it's possible to connect zx507 to analog - analog amplifier? via 3.5mm or 4.4mm output?
purpose: to save signal signature of sony and just amplify the analog signal to power less efficient / high impedance headphones.
as I understand usb digital connection will not save smooth and unharsh sound of Sony, or will it?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #4,289 of 8,642
I love my Sony NW-ZX507, but I have tinnitus and as it is an EU model it worked well with in-ear headphones for me (I don't listen at maximum volume), but they trigger my tinnitus. As the EU capped Sony NW-ZX507 do not drive my Utopia Focal headphones, I am going to be selling mine. Sad to see it go but I am ordering an uncapped DAP to replace them, I am not sure which yet.

That's a bummer. I bought mine from Japan via ebay. I figured that even with 20% tax it would match the UK price.

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,290 of 8,642
hello!
do u know if it's possible to connect zx507 to analog - analog amplifier? via 3.5mm or 4.4mm output?
purpose: to save signal signature of sony and just amplify the analog signal to power less efficient / high impedance headphones.
as I understand usb digital connection will not save smooth and unharsh sound of Sony, or will it?

It certainly is possible but the results may vary. If your amp has a 3.5mm aux input, you can try it using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable but the results are likely to be suboptimal. A 3.5mm to dual RCA cable into your preamp/integrated amp could yield better results.

Correct about USB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back