SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #8,116 of 8,639
The ZX300 was on stock for a long time and still is in stock even though the ZX500 is already a bit old.

I think its going to be either of two cases

* ZX500 will get an Android 11 Upgrade and USB DAC Features and so on
* There will be an ZX700 with FTCAP3 that will have Android 11, USB DAC and so on

I somewhat doubt that both will happen.

And i think Sony is trying to protect the sales of the WM1AM2 and also is most likely trying to get the ZX500 Stocks as low as possible
ZX507 was made in Malaysia, since they closed off the factory in Malaysia, I wonder if they have or have not shifted ZX507 and A105 over to China.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #8,117 of 8,639
Bigger battery, more output power and faster processor and I’ll buy it. But Sony’s new flagship players are still somewhat limited on output power so likely won’t happen and if anything we’r more likely to see a stripped down version of these players rather than anything new and exciting.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #8,118 of 8,639
Bigger battery, more output power and faster processor and I’ll buy it. But Sony’s new flagship players are still somewhat limited on output power so likely won’t happen and if anything we’r more likely to see a stripped down version of these players rather than anything new and exciting.
Thats pretty much what the ZX300 and the ZX100 was.

Thats pretty much the whole idea behind the ZXNNN-Range since it was invented.

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #8,119 of 8,639
ZX507 was made in Malaysia, since they closed off the factory in Malaysia, I wonder if they have or have not shifted ZX507 and A105 over to China.
Don't they have another factory in Malaysia?

Not that it also matters, but I'm surprised they don't make their high-end Walkmans in Japan like with some of their headphones, IEMs, etc.

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #8,120 of 8,639
Don't they have another factory in Malaysia?

Not that it also matters, but I'm surprised they don't make their high-end Walkmans in Japan like with some of their headphones, IEMs, etc.

that other factory is not making audio stuff.

anyway, Sony Malaysia is selling the last of their units. it is confirmed a discontinued model (along with the A105)

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #8,124 of 8,639
There has been five months not receiving a firmware update. It seems that Sony has given up zx500. So disappointed.

And much longer since any features were added. Just security updates (which I do appreciate, BTW). Of course no other DAPS ever get routine security updates... and most are out of date even when new.

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #8,126 of 8,639
Can you use a USB DAC like the Apogee Groove with this thing? Have had it a month (and the AG about a week) but only just now getting around to asking this. or is the 507 completely standalone? thanks :)

May 1, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #8,128 of 8,639
Can you use a USB DAC like the Apogee Groove with this thing? Have had it a month (and the AG about a week) but only just now getting around to asking this. or is the 507 completely standalone? thanks :)
Yes you can. The ZX507 can output to a USB C DAC device. If you connect the Apogee Groove or other USB C dongle and you open the Sony Music player a dialog will popup asking "Allow Music player to access 'xyz' device. Select 'OK' and you can play audio through the USB C dongle. The ZX507 can't be used as an external DAC to other devices. So USB C output to a DAC is ok. Whereas USB C DAC input does not work.

May 1, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #8,129 of 8,639
Yes you can. The ZX507 can output to a USB C DAC device. If you connect the Apogee Groove or other USB C dongle and you open the Sony Music player a dialog will popup asking "Allow Music player to access 'xyz' device. Select 'OK' and you can play audio through the USB C dongle. The ZX507 can't be used as an external DAC to other devices. So USB C output to a DAC is ok. Whereas USB C DAC input does not work.
Based on what happened - no dialogue box, AG immediately flashes off - I'd be more inclined to believe @osiris1 but if you could help me out with this it'd be greatly appreciated!

May 1, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #8,130 of 8,639
Based on what happened - no dialogue box, AG immediately flashes off - I'd be more inclined to believe @osiris1 but if you could help me out with this it'd be greatly appreciated!
In the music player settings there is DSD > USB output for DSD > Auto or DoP setting. I have mine set to Auto.

After plugging in your USB C dongle, go to the normal ZX507 settings and look for "Connected devices". Normally this is where you would check bluetooth device, but after you plug in a USB C dongle, "USB" also appears in the "Connected devices" setting. See attached pics. The proof is in the picture. The last 2 pictures are in reverse order.

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back