SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #7,426 of 8,639
Wouldn't have to be niche, if they at least tried. There's a significant market in my home country for entry-level DAPs. Something that NW-A55 excels at. But there's no marketing whatsoever. People don't even know Walkmans are still being made. Same applies to their phones - no marketing whatsoever.

Marketing wouldn't help them really. Since if you read any techblogs or review sites all of them says the same thing about Sony products - too expensive for too little features.

None of them really took time to understand Sony's history and background and just needlessly bash them. Just look at the new WF-1000XM4, they are 30 bucks more than AirPods Pro and already negative criticism of them being "overpriced".

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #7,427 of 8,639
Marketing wouldn't help them really. Since if you read any techblogs or review sites all of them says the same thing about Sony products - too expensive for too little features.

None of them really took time to understand Sony's history and background and just needlessly bash them. Just look at the new WF-1000XM4, they are 30 bucks more than AirPods Pro and already negative criticism of them being "overpriced".
I haven't seen the same comments you're mentioning, frankly speaking. NW-A55 reviews I've seen were very positive. Finding a DAP that's built and sounds as well as A55 within the same price range is very hard. Fiio players don't sound the same in my opinion.
Same applies to WF-1000XM4. Reviews in my country were very positive. I guess it depends on the market.

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #7,430 of 8,639
Would someone try the latest Apple Music beta for Android and ensure lossless and Atmos work properly? Thanks!
Lossless and hi-res work and sound great. No Atmos currently available in any of the settings I see. Seems on Android it’s dependent on if the manufacturer decided to license Dolby at the OS level or something like that.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #7,432 of 8,639
I haven't seen the same comments you're mentioning, frankly speaking. NW-A55 reviews I've seen were very positive. Finding a DAP that's built and sounds as well as A55 within the same price range is very hard. Fiio players don't sound the same in my opinion.
Same applies to WF-1000XM4. Reviews in my country were very positive. I guess it depends on the market.

Tech trends are heavily dictated by the US due to their market size and spending power - however US consumers are bargain hunters for the vast majority and thus the tech reviews reflects the readership.

Entry level DAPs also falls into this awkward place for the US market - US market has no demand for entry level DAPs as people just use smartphones if they commute on public transports, or absolutely no use for head-fi at all if they drive door-to-door from home to work.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #7,433 of 8,639
Turn off lossless for streaming and sometimes Atmos will come on. I had to do that on my iPhone.
Still a no go after turning off lossless, no Atmos to be found. I didn’t find that I had to do that on iOS, I was able to leave lossless on and switch Atmos on and off (granted when something Atmos is playing it’s no longer lossless). I kind of wonder if Apple is waiting on that to bring it out of beta. Figuring out licensing in app with Dolby for devices that don’t already have a license sorted.

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #7,434 of 8,639
Newbie question. Sony rates their balanced output power as "200mW + 200mW" at 16Ω. When looking at something like the M11 Plus, they show a single number 500mW at 16Ω. Is Fiio saying 500mW per channel, or 500mW all together? That is, to somewhat look at them next to each other just in terms of output power is Sony 200mW or 400mW in the parlance that most of the other DAPs use?

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #7,436 of 8,639
According to the spec sheet of the THX AAA-78 it should be rated at max of 400mW per channel at 16ohms. So it is not possible to be 500mW per channel for the M11 Plus Ltd:
https://www.thx.com/aaa/
Ahh, I see makes sense now. That’s why they use 2 of them in there. Thanks for that, way easier to understand when there’s a datasheet and can better understand the marketing speak.

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #7,437 of 8,639
How does the Sony music app deal with playlists? Are they an editable text file that can be accessed and transferred with Android File Transfer? I'm hoping for something like m3u files.
I'm a Mac user, not supported by Sony Music app, but I think the answer is yes. I got round this with my NW-ZX300 by exporting my Apple Music playlists to M3U8 file, editing to align with Sony's library structure and then used Android File Transfer for Mac to add the edited files to the Walkman.

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #7,438 of 8,639

Users who are viewing this thread

Back