SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 18, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #7,396 of 8,639
Just for my curiosity, is this zx507 will playing well with airpods max?
I have these two, but I don't have 'golden' ears so I can only tell you my subjective opinion.

For the bluetooth, I think the sound from zx507 is the same to the sound from an Apple device. The best bluetooth codec APM would support is always AAC (currently, I believe), so all machines to APM are just AAC bluetooth transmitters technically.

For using the lightning to 3.5mm audio cable, the sound quality would be better no matter which device you use to connect to (my own feeling). However, under the song with same sample rates and bitrates, I am unable to distinguish the difference between connecting to zx507 and to my MacBook Pro. I went to Sony Store this Jan, connected APM to DMP-Z1, and also got a similar sound quality (at least to me, no obvious difference). In my opinion, there are only two advantages in using zx507 with APM: 1, enjoying the sound effect such as DSEE HX/Ultimate. 2, listening to the songs with sample rates higher than 48 khz, which is because Apple devices do not support the songs with higher resolution and need an external digital-to-analog converter based on Apple's official statement.

Btw, I guess the reason why the sound might be better by using the cable is:

'The Lightning to 3.5 mm audio cable was designed to allow AirPods Max to connect to analog sources for listening to movies and music. AirPods Max can be connected to devices playing Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless recordings with exceptional audio quality. However, given the analog-to-digital conversion in the cable, the playback will not be completely lossless.'
----quoted from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183?cid=mc-ols-applemusic-article_ht212183-macos_ui-02172021

So in my understanding, the sound quality is better than bluetooth connection but not that good compared to other normal cable connection:thinking:.

Anyway, APM is a very good headphone giving you great sound even when it is under bluetooth connection, though I am still expecting a stronger bluetooth codec created by Apple and a NORMAL cable designed specifically for APM lol.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #7,397 of 8,639
I have these two, but I don't have 'golden' ears so I can only tell you my subjective opinion.

For the bluetooth, I think the sound from zx507 is the same to the sound from an Apple device. The best bluetooth codec APM would support is always AAC (currently, I believe), so all machines to APM are just AAC bluetooth transmitters technically.

For using the lightning to 3.5mm audio cable, the sound quality would be better no matter which device you use to connect to (my own feeling). However, under the song with same sample rates and bitrates, I am unable to distinguish the difference between connecting to zx507 and to my MacBook Pro. I went to Sony Store this Jan, connected APM to DMP-Z1, and also got a similar sound quality (at least to me, no obvious difference). In my opinion, there are only two advantages for using zx507: 1, enjoying the sound effect such as DSEE HX/Ultimate. 2, listening to the songs with sample rates higher than 48 khz, which is because Apple devices do not support the songs with higher resolution and need an external digital-to-analog converter based on Apple's official statement.

'The Lightning to 3.5 mm audio cable was designed to allow AirPods Max to connect to analog sources for listening to movies and music. AirPods Max can be connected to devices playing Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless recordings with exceptional audio quality. However, given the analog-to-digital conversion in the cable, the playback will not be completely lossless.'
----quoted from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183?cid=mc-ols-applemusic-article_ht212183-macos_ui-02172021

So in my understanding, the sound quality is better than bluetooth connection but not that good compared to other normal cable connection:thinking:.

Anyway, APM is a very good headphone giving you great sound even when it is under bluetooth connection, though I am still waiting for a stronger bluetooth codec created by Apple and a NORMAL cable designed specifically for APM lol.
Cool review mate! I just give myself a chance and it can’t be more different as your. But at least it’s quite impressive for me with Airpods Max even via bluetooth and I’m happy to have it now.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #7,398 of 8,639

For using the lightning to 3.5mm audio cable, the sound quality would be better no matter which device you use to connect to (my own feeling). However, under the song with same sample rates and bitrates, I am unable to distinguish the difference between connecting to zx507 and to my MacBook Pro. I went to Sony Store this Jan, connected APM to DMP-Z1, and also got a similar sound quality (at least to me, no obvious difference). In my opinion, there are only two advantages in using zx507 with APM: 1, enjoying the sound effect such as DSEE HX/Ultimate. 2, listening to the songs with sample rates higher than 48 khz, which is because Apple devices do not support the songs with higher resolution and need an external digital-to-analog converter based on Apple's official statement.

Anyway, APM is a very good headphone giving you great sound even when it is under bluetooth connection, though I am still expecting a stronger bluetooth codec created by Apple and a NORMAL cable designed specifically for APM lol.

The zx507 sounds better than iPhone on Bluetooth. Because of the superior clocking it has it actually helps the quality, it sound calmer, wider and better defined. I couldn’t believe it at first but it’s quite obvious

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #7,399 of 8,639
The zx507 sounds better than iPhone on Bluetooth. Because of the superior clocking it has it actually helps the quality, it sound calmer, wider and better defined. I couldn’t believe it at first but it’s quite obvious
The clocking difference is that in my opinion is something that might be very hard to notice immediately, but it's something that will affect how engaging the music is to your brain. The lower jitter/better clocking will sound better imaged and less blurry.

What I could observe most is that I have lesser listening fatigue with sources that have very low jitter/superior clocking.

E.g. If I listen to my WF-1000XM3 connected to my Iphone bluetooth, somehow the music feels more mentally dull to listen to, whereas connected to the ZX507, music especially the lowest of bass notes feels more deeper and you feel more emotionally connected to the music.

Although I would say Bluetooth still cannot match wired in terms of absolute sonic purity.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #7,400 of 8,639
The clocking difference is that in my opinion is something that might be very hard to notice immediately, but it's something that will affect how engaging the music is to your brain. The lower jitter/better clocking will sound better imaged and less blurry.

What I could observe most is that I have lesser listening fatigue with sources that have very low jitter/superior clocking.

E.g. If I listen to my WF-1000XM3 connected to my Iphone bluetooth, somehow the music feels more mentally dull to listen to, whereas connected to the ZX507, music especially the lowest of bass notes feels more deeper and you feel more emotionally connected to the music.

Although I would say Bluetooth still cannot match wired in terms of absolute sonic purity.
yep that's true. I'd say the difference is fairly easy to spot for me - the wf1000xm3 certainly appreciate less jitter and good clocking. It still doesn't magically turn them into Sony IERM7s but at least they're fairly enjoyable now.

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #7,403 of 8,639
I want to know why my Shure SE535 don t sound with my Sony zx 507, when is connect in a 4.0 conexión cable, only when I want to hear Apple Music. Anybody know what can I do?
Try describing your problem in more detail, so people can understand exactly what problem you are encountering, and what you have tried already to troubleshoot. With 4.4mm output? How about 3.5mm? Only with Apple Music, or with all music sources? Other music playback is normal, but the problem is only when playing Apple Music?

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #7,404 of 8,639
Try describing your problem in more detail, so people can understand exactly what problem you are encountering, and what you have tried already to troubleshoot. With 4.4mm output? How about 3.5mm? Only with Apple Music, or with all music sources? Other music playback is normal, but the problem is only when playing Apple Music?
Only with Apple Music. I don't have a 3,5mm output, only 4.4. The Sony App runs well. thank's

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #7,405 of 8,639

Sony ZX507 x IER-M9
Pink Floyd DSD Eargasm
Wish you were here…
Review of the pairing will be published after I consider the honeymoon period over in order to avoid the usual pitfalls and will include a comparison with Campfire Audio’s Solaris 2020.

My latest piece on Sony's ZX507 ✕ IER-M9 pairing is out!

Saying that I am floored would be an understatement.

Here's an excerpt from the conclusion:

[...]
In a hobby and market where boutique and niche became the norm, it’s easy to forget the old giants with their plain packaging and pretty much non-existent marketing in opposition to boutique and chi-fi brands aggressively advertising at every dedicated corner of the audiophile world.
[...]
One just hopes that Sony will keep going and not stop there. With an IEM and DAP approaching three years of age, they have been the silent professionals. They get the job done and excel in doing so, quietly.
[...]

This unexpected discovery also forces me to move to The Vagrant Audiophile's next phase, i.e. actually writing about music -- well sort of :p

The next piece will be on music and its importance during the Vietnam War as well as its depiction in popular culture. Stand by.

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #7,406 of 8,639
Anyone know if a battery case exists for the 507?

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #7,408 of 8,639
Sony ZX507 with IER-M9 balanced has a very coherent and fatigue-free sound signature that can work well for very long listening sessions, even 3 to 5 hours is perfectly fine. There’s no harshness or sibilance in the sound. I do think that the IER-M9 is fully capable of presenting a highly precise 360degree soundstage with the ZX507. And the ZX507 is capable of driving the M9 with full authority. These two are a perfect match for one and other.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #7,409 of 8,639
Hi everybody! I've recently become interested in the ZX500 and I have a few questions which I've tried to search this thread for but most of the hits are outdated. I'm hoping some of you folks can help me out as I haven't used a Walkman since they played cassettes and it's also been years since I had an Android phone. Here goes:
- If I install the Apple Music app and download songs for offline playing, is it correct that these songs would only be playable from within the Apple Music app and not through the Sony music playing app? If so, is it correct that the quality of playback would be worse and battery life would also be reduced (both when compared to the Sony app)?
- Will the Apple Music app let you download songs to the SD card for offline playback, or are you limited to the few songs that would fit on the internal storage? I have an iPhone (no SD slot) so this is all new to me.
- Are any of the other streaming apps (Tidal/Spotify/whatever else) better than Apple Music regarding the points above?
- Do you think I'd be better off with an external DAC for my iPhone 8 than going with the ZX500? I would likely be using XBA-N3 IEMs.

Thanks for any help!
definetly zx507
haveing a specialized (separate) device for music playback is a right way to go considering functionality and playback quality.
no need to burn ur phone's battery and memory storage with music anymore
i use 512gb card. zx507 is like iphone 5 just 2 times thicker (1.5sm) and i think heavier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back