Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #11,716 of 12,862
I'm the person doing the macOS installers. We had run into an issue that once the installer got uploaded to Google Drive it stopped working.

I will be doing testing with the new official Sony installers this weekend and will keep everyone posted.

Many thanks and I of course wish you the best of luck :D

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #11,717 of 12,862
Hello @MrWalkman, I have a question to you about your modified software and possibilities connected with Bluetooth connection. Do you think is possible to make:

- volume level indicator,
- change playback screen,
- use sound modifications,

for the bluetooth connectivity?

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #11,718 of 12,862
Hello @MrWalkman, I have a question to you about your modified software and possibilities connected with Bluetooth connection. Do you think is possible to make:

- volume level indicator,
- change playback screen,
- use sound modifications,

for the bluetooth connectivity?

Doing modifications doesn't work like that. You would need access to the source code of the app, which only Sony has.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #11,719 of 12,862
I'm the person doing the macOS installers. We had run into an issue that once the installer got uploaded to Google Drive it stopped working.

I will be doing testing with the new official Sony installers this weekend and will keep everyone posted.

Thank you for your time in advance. It would be cool to test these new firmwares without resorting to install a Windows partition...

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #11,720 of 12,862
- the player can also show progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG covers now (only baseline JPEG and non interlaced PNG are visible on the stock firmware)

tenor.gif

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #11,722 of 12,862
I was thinking of that, and I will do it, especially so all info is in one place instead of having it scattered around all the pages of different threads :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #11,723 of 12,862
I just bought a Dita Project 71 which comes with the Oslo cable with interchangeable connectors, including 4.4mm. This connector is a TRRRS, and my understanding is Sony daps do not use this implementation of this connector, rather, TRRS. Can someone confirm this is the case. I don’t want to try connecting it to find out not knowing if a bad result will happen.

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #11,724 of 12,862
I just bought a Dita Project 71 which comes with the Oslo cable with interchangeable connectors, including 4.4mm. This connector is a TRRRS, and my understanding is Sony daps do not use this implementation of this connector, rather, TRRS. Can someone confirm this is the case. I don’t want to try connecting it to find out not knowing if a bad result will happen.

1599493334575.png

So it's T(ip), R(ing), R(ing), R(ing), S(leeve).

I'm not sure there is a TRRS 4.4mm connector. If I'm not mistaken, TRRS is used for headphones with microphone.

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #11,725 of 12,862
1599493334575.png

So it's T(ip), R(ing), R(ing), R(ing), S(leeve).

I'm not sure there is a TRRS 4.4mm connector. If I'm not mistaken, TRRS is used for headphones with microphone.

Thank you for your reply. I read my information in another thread, so let me try to find it and repost the issue. Since I presume the image is from Sony, I may not have anything to worry about.

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #11,726 of 12,862
Thank you for your reply. I read my information in another thread, so let me try to find it and repost the issue. Since I presume the image is from Sony, I may not have anything to worry about.

Maybe what you've heard is about the thing that Sony does not use the ground connector. However, there's nothing to worry about anyway, as long as the cable is wired as in the picture (L+, L-, R+, R-, from Tip to Ring)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #11,727 of 12,862
im a casual and want to keep things minimalist (indoor/outdoor setup) so went with the ZX300 and MDR-1AM2 and really enjoy the sound in balanced mode.

Which headphones would you guys recommend for a noticeable improvement in SQ that would be powered fine by zx300?

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #11,728 of 12,862
im a casual and want to keep things minimalist (indoor/outdoor setup) so went with the ZX300 and MDR-1AM2 and really enjoy the sound in balanced mode.

Which headphones would you guys recommend for a noticeable improvement in SQ that would be powered fine by zx300?

For me, the Z7M2 has improved in SQ with @MrWalkman firmware. 1AM2 seems to be perfectly powered balanced and unbalanced. It's been such a joy listening since the firmware.

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #11,729 of 12,862
For me, the Z7M2 has improved in SQ with @MrWalkman firmware. 1AM2 seems to be perfectly powered balanced and unbalanced. It's been such a joy listening since the firmware.

Nice!

Did you get a chance to try the ZX300/A++ version?

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #11,730 of 12,862
I owned the ZX507 for a short while because I wanted an Android device to be able to play music from my two favorite internet radio stations, Radio Paradise and SomaFM. These two stations serve as my music discovery sources, especially RP. Anyway, I had some troubles with it probably because it was my first Android device and I lost my password. The ZX507 has a security feature that if you forget your password, the unit has to be sent back to Sony so they can wipe it clean and re-install the software. I didn’t want to deal with this, so I sold it for cheap thinking I wouldn’t buy another Sony dap.

But while I had it, I loved the size and build, so when an essentially brand new ZX300 came up in the classifieds, I bought it and I’m really happy with it. The sound with the stock firmware is very nice, so I can’t wait to try out the @MrWalkman firmware, especially the one he is working on that brings WM1a performance to the ZX300. And I love the non-android OS ... I use my player for music only, so I wasn’t interested in all the extra stuff that could be done with the ZX507 other than download RP and SomaFM.

I ended up buying the HiBy R5 for music discovery, and it too is surprisingly good sounding for its attractive price, especially when on sale for $299.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back