Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #11,149 of 12,862
It is NOT a Win problem. It is NOT the players fault.

What is the original source of the files? CD? download?

Maybe you could share a screenshot from whatever software you are using to manage your music?.
The tracks are downloaded from youtube. I use Sonys own 'Music Centre' to tag the tracks. All looks great until I try to play the songs on the player. I was using DBPoweramp to convert to flac and thought that was the problem. Uninstalled DBPoweramp and let Windows and Music Centre do it`s thing. So it IS the players fault.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #11,150 of 12,862
Here are 2 screenshots of the tagged album.One from Sonys Music Centre and one of the album opened on my laptop. I can`t screenshot the player but trust me, it`s defaulted to alphabetical order.
Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,155 of 12,862
Why does the player store the files in alphabetical order is the problem.
Did you say you sourced these tracks from Youtube? Perhaps as they are not your typical CD ripped tracks and as they don't have official software tagging/labeling carried over from the CD, Windows is just reading them by default alphabetically as it would with any other type of non-music file as the they lack the CD track data/information?
I realised I have a compilation of tracks from a live gig I ripped from Youtube (a local early 90's band that didn't have the budget to pay the then high fees for recording studio time). I never really thought about it but they play alphabetically. I think when you look at all the possible tagging data entries when using tagging software there is usually a track numbering in the data although it might not be actually tagged to display it at the front of the track name itself, I am guessing our tracks lack this 'hidden' numbering data so default to alphabetical. I don't know if this makes sense.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #11,156 of 12,862
Why does the player store the files in alphabetical order is the problem.

Yes. My apologies to you Fife Flyer. All of my files start with the track number like Steve's. I never would have thought Sony would ignore the meta data track number. Heck, I think my old minidisc players correctly used track number.

Apologies again Fife Flyer

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #11,157 of 12,862
Yes. My apologies to you Fife Flyer. All of my files start with the track number like Steve's. I never would have thought Sony would ignore the meta data track number. Heck, I think my old minidisc players correctly used track number.

Apologies again Fife Flyer
I'm not sure of the problem.

I've been using the ZX300 for a long time. All my tracks are sorted correctly, they are not sorted in alphabetic order. This is true when when I use the music player to access music by album, genre, artists, etc.. I do not have track number in the file name. I have Disc# and Track# set in the tags.

The only time I see the alpha sort is when you use the folder view. This is the behavior I would expect if I'm looking at folders.

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #11,159 of 12,862
Anyone here has a ZX300 they want to sell for cheap ? I need to conduct some experiment :)
FYI, a used ZX300 might cost the same as a new ZX300A from accessoryjack which is all you really need to experiment on :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back