Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 12, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #11,086 of 12,862
This is too deep for me, feels like I'm falling into Reddit here.

All jokes aside, what IEM do you have?

IER-M7s. I'm having issues lately with pressure in my ears when I insert them. Tried different rubber covers, either too lose, too tight or perfect but with air bubbles when I insert. Never had this issue with my beloved MDR-EX700s. When I get the M7s to fit properly they sound better than I ever heard for portable. M7s are my first pair of balanced IEMs

Use an alternative then. Nothing easier and sounds fantastic over LDAC. Drive it from my S10 phone or Sony A105. (I modified the BTR5 to loose the clip case and add a lanyard loop instead).

I just use my Sony A105 wired at home but BTR5 over LDAC 990kbps is superb anyway especially via balanced. The Sony BT remote I got for when I had the ZX300 is just in the cupboard now.

Thanks for your reply. You can see my solution above. I don't trust wireless. My BT remote is also out of use now.

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #11,087 of 12,862
IER-M7s. I'm having issues lately with pressure in my ears when I insert them. Tried different rubber covers, either too lose, too tight or perfect but with air bubbles when I insert. Never had this issue with my beloved MDR-EX700s. When I get the M7s to fit properly they sound better than I ever heard for portable. M7s are my first pair of balanced IEMs

Thanks for your reply. You can see my solution above. I don't trust wireless. My BT remote is also out of use now.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-m9-impressions-thread.897604/page-19#post-15299049

see post 281/282.

Regards

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #11,089 of 12,862
Thank you, it has improved the situation, but I still get the issue sometimes. The holes seem to instantly heal themshelves. Should I use a bigger guage needle and try to make a visible hole?

Anyway my ZX300 was moving around a little too much on the move with my current rig so I added a pouch and it seems better now. I've got it on quickdraw for track info checking and there is some of that cool factor coming back with being able to show off your Sony walkman.

DSC-0040-762x800.jpg

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #11,090 of 12,862
Thank you, it has improved the situation, but I still get the issue sometimes. The holes seem to instantly heal themshelves. Should I use a bigger guage needle and try to make a visible hole?

Anyway my ZX300 was moving around a little too much on the move with my current rig so I added a pouch and it seems better now. I've got it on quickdraw for track info checking and there is some of that cool factor coming back with being able to show off your Sony walkman.

DSC-0040-762x800.jpg

Yeah!
Make em little bigger. You may still feel bit of a vaccum, but it will be much better than it was before.

Regards

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #11,092 of 12,862
After thinking about buy the new ZX500, I think the is enough for me NW-ZX300,

Why?
  • I hate streaming! I like the idea of ADD my own files and not see anything about spotify, youtube android in general etc.
  • Also the new price is around $800.
Now my big question is, is possible buy the NW-ZX300 for under $250 USD or around? Only used for that price? I remember some Japan or China version with 16GB or something... I found this: https://www.joybuy.com/600198203.html that thing has the same audio quality? the only difference is the space??? 16 vs 64

Also the NW-ZX300 continue use the Sony OS, not android?

There's a lot difference in sound quality from the NW-ZX300 to the NW-ZX500, short answer?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #11,093 of 12,862

Why?
  • I hate streaming! I like the idea of ADD my own files and not see anything about spotify, youtube android in general etc.
Now my big question is, is possible buy the NW-ZX300 for under $250 USD or around? Only used for that price? I remember some Japan or China version with 16GB or something... I found this: https://www.joybuy.com/600198203.html that thing has the same audio quality? the only difference is the space??? 16 vs 64

There's a lot difference in sound quality from the NW-ZX300 to the NW-ZX500, short answer?

Yes, there is a lot of difference. The ZX500/507 is a very worthy upgrade over the ZX300, and worth the extra cost, IMO. BTW, the ZX505 is the China model with 16GB storage, same as the ZX300A/ZX300. No difference except for the storage size. The OS, while Android, has the same feel and UI as the Sony OS, with actual improvements in some areas. If you subtract the cost of the ZX300, which you would spend, then the difference of the additional cost of the ZX500 is easier to rationalize. Of course that is just an upgrader rationalizing why it makes sense to spend extra money.....

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #11,094 of 12,862

Why?

They're literally the same except it's 16GB vs 64GB internal storage, and that the back of it has a different text.

They both use the same Sony Walkman OS.

No, there's not a lot of difference WRT sound quality between the 300 and 507. Overall, they are more similar the different. If you want more power, you gotta pony up for another player.

Yes, there is a lot of difference. The ZX500/507 is a very worthy upgrade over the ZX300, and worth the extra cost, IMO. BTW, the ZX505 is the China model with 16GB storage, same as the ZX300A/ZX300. No difference except for the storage size. The OS, while Android, has the same feel and UI as the Sony OS, with actual improvements in some areas. If you subtract the cost of the ZX300, which you would spend, then the difference of the additional cost of the ZX500 is easier to rationalize. Of course that is just an upgrader rationalizing why it makes sense to spend extra money.....

Yes, if you want streaming and app access. Otherwise, an absolute waste of money - it actually performs worse as a pure player as its battery life is 30% worse. The only advantage besides the wireless capabilities is its USB-C port.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #11,095 of 12,862
They're literally the same except it's 16GB vs 64GB internal storage, and that the back of it has a different text.

They both use the same Sony Walkman OS.

No, there's not a lot of difference WRT sound quality between the 300 and 507. Overall, they are more similar the different. If you want more power, you gotta pony up for another player.

Yes, if you want streaming and app access. Otherwise, an absolute waste of money - it actually performs worse as a pure player as its battery life is 30% worse. The only advantage besides the wireless capabilities is its USB-C port.

To my ears, the zx507 has a better ability to translate the emotion of a singer, better in the bass region, better in sound stage, etc. I do have both the ZX300 and the ZX507, though I did not do a rigorous comparison. Yes, the battery life is worse, so if the prime consideration is battery life, then the ZX507 is a worse choice. If SQ is the prime consideration, then the ZX507 is a better choice. So the choice depends on what you value/need more.

My impression is a subjective one. That is an impression to my ears, on my system, of course. Your results and conclusion may be different, and your experiences may point towards not needing the upgrade as being unnecessary/useless.

So this is just a normal situation. Some people will hear one thing, some will hear another. Each person has to listen for themselves, and make their own decision, as nobody should, or can, make a decision for somebody else. People can only offer their personal observation, which is usually biased.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #11,096 of 12,862

Why?

I tested ZX507 two days ago.. Don't like the sound signature.. So I'm keeping my ZX300.. I can still Bluetooth it with Spotify, etc for streaming.. Saves money for WM1A replacement.. Ha ha :-D :-D

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #11,097 of 12,862
@ Spoonbright:

Just a heads-up to help you a bit, the ZX507 audio circuitry is identical to the ZX300 with only the power delivery being different to accommodate the new SoC's demands (i.e. much noisier and power hungry). What you're paying more in the ZX507 is less for sound quality, and more for:

- Bigger screen
- Bigger battery
- Android OS support
- Better SoC
- USB-C
- WiFi radios/antennae

That IMO is worth it if you already enjoy the ZX300 but want to extend its capabilities. God knows that the ZX300 is obsolete to the point of everything except its battery life and sound quality - so many QoL things they could have done.....

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #11,098 of 12,862
@ Spoonbright:

Just a heads-up to help you a bit, the ZX507 audio circuitry is identical to the ZX300 with only the power delivery being different to accommodate the new SoC's demands (i.e. much noisier and power hungry). What you're paying more in the ZX507 is less for sound quality, and more for:

- Bigger screen
- Bigger battery
- Android OS support
- Better SoC
- USB-C
- WiFi radios/antennae

That IMO is worth it if you already enjoy the ZX300 but want to extend its capabilities. God knows that the ZX300 is obsolete to the point of everything except its battery life and sound quality - so many QoL things they could have done.....

Hi. Does the Android OS support mean that the headphone socket on the ZX507 would support remote control buttons on Android-compatible wired headphones?

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #11,099 of 12,862
Hi. Does the Android OS support mean that the headphone socket on the ZX507 would support remote control buttons on Android-compatible wired headphones?
You'll have to ask Sony if you want a definitive answer. There is no mention in the Guide https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electron...sic-players-nw-nwz-zx-series/nw-zx507/manuals and it is unlikely, as the 3.5mm and 4.4mm have the same function as the WM1x and the ZX300. And it needs to have wiring for it, to interact with the OS, and if it has 3.5mm TRRS function like all the other models, there are no extra contacts that can be used.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #11,100 of 12,862

Most likely not, considering it's wired up the same way as the ZX300 on the analog front-end. The extra ring is used as an additional ground.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back