Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #6,242 of 12,862
While I agree, sadly customs don't know what is and isn't available :frowning2:
Nor would customs care! I understand the need for taxation but we get totally ripped off with handling charges (you can't avoid them) tax, duty, tax on duty and tax on postage! I think you can bring something in free if it's a gift and less than $35 value. In the US it seems personal imports are very rarely taxed.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #6,248 of 12,862
Hello all, got a quick question on the battery for the ZX300. I'm using mine at work listening to Tidal via my laptop or old phone and the USB DAC function - now when using my laptop is it better to turn on 'Charge this player from the device'?

Will it prolong or shorten the lifespan of the battery? I'm always pretty confused about this, ie should I charge to full and let discharge or leave it permantely charging via my laptop while in DAC mode?

I do turn on the 'Battery Care' option too, how much difference that has I'm not sure.

As a separate point, I've also received my £3.99 silicone case from igadgitz and am really impressed, great value really - even makes it look like I bought the black one :dt880smile:. I have an old minidisc player sock (image below - a classic device!) that I keep it in along with the cables, don't think I'll bother with the official case now, will use that money towards a 400gb card.

aiwa.jpg aiwa2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #6,249 of 12,862
Hello all, got a quick question on the battery for the ZX300. I'm using mine at work listening to Tidal via my laptop or old phone and the USB DAC function - now when using my laptop is it better to turn on 'Charge this player from the device'?

Will it prolong or shorten the lifespan of the battery? I'm always pretty confused about this, ie should I charge to full and let discharge or leave it permantely charging via my laptop while in DAC mode?

I do turn on the 'Battery Care' option too, how much difference that has I'm not sure.

As a separate point, I've also received my £3.99 silicone case from igadgitz and am really impressed, great value really - even makes it look like I bought the black one :dt880smile:. I have an old minidisc player sock (image below - a classic device!) that I keep it in along with the cables, don't think I'll bother with the official case now, will use that money towards a 400gb card.

I would recommend to only charge when battery is low.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #6,251 of 12,862
Has anyone else noticed this?

While it doesn’t happen often, I’ve had more than a few instances while listening to tracks I’ve known for YEARS where certain moments (guitar fills, in most cases) that the 300 sets them SO far back in the mix as to be almost indistinguishable??? My unit is less than half way through the 200-hour break in period recommended for either output, so I’m not sure if this is “responsible”, or if it even makes a difference hear. (See what I did there?!? I made a funny!). While it doesn’t make me dislike the unit (I love this thing), it’s happened enough to make me wonder.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #6,252 of 12,862
Has anyone else noticed this?

While it doesn’t happen often, I’ve had more than a few instances while listening to tracks I’ve known for YEARS where certain moments (guitar fills, in most cases) that the 300 sets them SO far back in the mix as to be almost indistinguishable??? My unit is less than half way through the 200-hour break in period recommended for either output, so I’m not sure if this is “responsible”, or if it even makes a difference hear. (See what I did there?!? I made a funny!). While it doesn’t make me dislike the unit (I love this thing), it’s happened enough to make me wonder.
That's odd as the ZX300 is quite neutral, it sounds more like something you'd say when you try a V shaped earphone.
What tracks does it happen with?

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #6,253 of 12,862
I just joined the club. My ZX300A from Joybuy arrived today. Took 21 days but worth the wait. I used the time to make a balance cable for my iSine20. It has about 5 hours on it right now and I can hear a little change in the sound. I don't know if that is the player or the brand new cable.

Coming the Questyle QP1R, the Sony UI is just heavenly. I love the sound quality and power of the QP1R but the UI seems to have come from a $20 mp3 player.

I have plans to do @Whitigir 's cable mod on it soon.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #6,254 of 12,862
That's odd as the ZX300 is quite neutral, it sounds more like something you'd say when you try a V shaped earphone.
What tracks does it happen with?
I’ve noticed it on tracks from things from Dokken to Sarah McLachlan and others I need to look for (forgetting at the moment). Been using Campfire Andromeda for over a year now. Never noticed this when using my iPhone previously. Infrequent but it’s there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back