Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,906 of 12,862
Thanks. I would never get rid of my ZX2. ( Well i wouldn't get rid of any DAP i bought, to be honest. ) I think i may as well get a TRRS cable to pair with my Oppo PM3's.

i had zx2 for 2 years and loved it but man once i got wm1a and especially once i heard it with 4.4 balanced all i could think was 'i should have bought wm1a/ulgraded from zx2 sooner' as i waited for almost 1 year since wm1a was released before buying it

zx2 is good , and i loved it dearly - but wm1a is much better especially with the 4.4 balanced (which is the only way i have been listening since i got my 4.4 cables)

as someone who probably overstayed with zx2 , i had to give you my sincere 2 cents

cheers

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,908 of 12,862
I think people have to stop making general statements like wm1a is better than zx2. Tbh I've owned both and its really about synergy and pairing. Wm1a se is terrible with andromedas. Its like I have a blanket over the treble. Balanced is much better but the sound can get a bit hot. Technicalities are good but the differences are minor to a zx2 with the andros. The tonal balance Is much better with the zx2 and sounds like agood tube amp. That being said the synergy with this iem is better with the darker zx2. On the other hand the a18s and tia forte sound great from the wm1a(esp bassier tia fourte). It's about synergy more than which gear is better. Try taking a auralic vega with a jotunheim and hd800 have that combo melt your ear from treble shrillness.try to find the right synergy with the zx300 lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,910 of 12,862
My package from amazon japan just arrived at my work place, 5 days earlier than the stated date. looks like I have something to play with once I start work later on.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #1,912 of 12,862
Awesome news and i must say it turned out to be comparatively economical too. Happy listening! :)

And please do send some pictures of the VE cable. @Ritvik

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #1,913 of 12,862
I think people have to stop making general statements like wm1a is better than zx2. Tbh I've owned both and its really about synergy and pairing. Wm1a se is terrible with andromedas. Its like I have a blanket over the treble. Balanced is much better but the sound can get a bit hot. Technicalities are good but the differences are minor to a zx2 with the andros. The tonal balance Is much better with the zx2 and sounds like agood tube amp. That being said the synergy with this iem is better with the darker zx2. On the other hand the a18s and tia forte sound great from the wm1a(esp bassier tia fourte). It's about synergy more than which gear is better. Try taking a auralic vega with a jotunheim and hd800 have that combo melt your ear from treble shrillness.try to find the right synergy with the zx300 lol

i can not get any more specific than that - both CIEMs i own - NT6 and Zeus XR - sound better from the WM1A than from the zx2 , and when i went 4.4 balanced the difference is even bigger

ZX2 was a very good DAP , but WM1A is better and more balanced - this becomes crystal clear to me once i A/B them

in fact, I was a bit sceptic before getting wm1a but after i got it all i could think was 'why didn't i upgrade to wm1a sooner?'

maybe it's pairing/synergy as you say , but like i said both ciems sounded better and more enjoyable when paired with the WM1A

cheers

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #1,914 of 12,862

Have you tried Andro w Ref8 on 3.5mm WM1A or Andro w Leonidas 4.4mm WM1A?

I have tried Andro w Ref8 on WM1A sounds razor sharp and clear. Soundstage is very wide, lacks in depth.

Andro w Leonidas 4.4mm WM1A is very organic and realistic.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #1,915 of 12,862
Is there no text search on Walkman DAPs ??
I just noticed it's missing from the ZX300! My ZX2 has a text search feature (although it's slow and not very good at finding the files I look for but it's there!)
It's really an oversight, I guess Sony engineers did not want to bother designing a software keyboard on their walkman OS.

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #1,916 of 12,862
With using Smartphones with the likes of Tidal/Spotify its something you just take for granted. Its not often I'd use it but last night a wanted to find an Album on my ZX300 but couldn't remember the whole name or the first word of it so looked to do a search then realised there is no search facility! I think the Fiio X5III had search so can be done without a full smartphone OS. Not a deal breaker for me.

The good news for me today is that my Balanced Sony Kimber cable is out for delivery with Parcel Force :smile_phones:

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #1,918 of 12,862
I just noticed it's missing from the ZX300! My ZX2 has a text search feature (although it's slow and not very good at finding the files I look for but it's there!)
It's really an oversight, I guess Sony engineers did not want to bother designing a software keyboard on their walkman OS.

The walkman OS indeed have a keyboard, try create a playlist :smile_phones:

Maybe the search function / indexing the database is too complicate for their programmer so they didn't include it in the OS:dizzy_face:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,919 of 12,862

Was the text search feature not listed in the player spec ?

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #1,920 of 12,862
First of all I would like to apologies to those who has taken my advice in purchasing the ZX300 from amazon Japan, there is a slight amendment on this purchase now.

Previously the ZX300 was sold for 70070 yen including tax with free 7007 amazon points (sold by and fulfilled by amazon japan), although during the purchasing process the unit will become tax free at 64880 yen, but 7007 amazon point will remine the same, they have now amended the price on the ZX300 to 63063 yen inclusive of tax, but does not give out amazon points, the 7007 amazon points is equal to 7007 yen, infact, they have now used the 7007 yen/points to reduce the unit price. Now the final price of the unit is at 58392 yen excluding tax (tax free price for oversea purchase), although shipping cost will depend on your location.

So for those who has already made the purchase, in theory there is no change, just a cheaper unit price without the points, but if you think it's a problem, you can still cancel your order according to amazons policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back