Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 24, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,741 of 12,862
Just going to have to say it..............

After 1 hr use with FLAC HD tracks I'm familiar with connected via SE, it doesn't sound as good as a Dragonfly Red via UAPP App, but that could be actually down to UAPP is it sounds better than other Apps to me anyway with its own audio drivers. Will do more testing tonight with ZX300 as DAC fed from UAPP.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,742 of 12,862

After 1 hr use with FLAC HD tracks I'm familiar with connected via SE, it doesn't sound as good as a Dragonfly Red via UAPP App, but that could be actually down to UAPP is it sounds better than other Apps to me anyway with its own audio drivers. Will do more testing tonight with ZX300 as DAC fed from UAPP.
I think any comparisons should be done after uncapping the volume and enabling high gain mode. Would you agree thats going to make a difference?

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,744 of 12,862

But your ZX300 needs way more burn-in to fairly judge.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,745 of 12,862
I sent Rockbox the output for the 300A, as it was still unsupported. They added it to the database and uploaded a new destination tool. Confirmed working on the 300A now.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,746 of 12,862

i said it psikey the DFR is better it has better soundstage and treble but it the battery life it kills on my phone i dont like

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,748 of 12,862
i said it psikey the DFR is better it has better soundstage and treble but it the battery life it kills on my phone i dont like

Must be an iPhone issue as battery with my Z5 compact lasts ages with DFRed.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #1,750 of 12,862
Is it confirmed then that Sony DAP's need burn-in? If so, how long?

Usually after 20 hours the player start to have SQ improvments.

Sony suggest 200 hours for 4.4 Bal and another 200 hours for 3.5 SE on WM1A/Z
but most user in the WM1A/Z threads agree the player need almost 500 hours each side

So I suggest you plug in some earphone you don't use and just let the ZX300 play over night
see if difference after 20 hours and expect burn in at least 300 hours each side

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,752 of 12,862
OK set Region to E and volume now at 75 instead of 90 for same loudness to my ears. If I switch on High Gain its around 70. High gain doesn't have as big of an effect over SE as I thought it would unless it also depends on impedence of the earphones.

It does sound nicer set to region E so no idea what's going on there.

Will leave it for over 20hrs playing now and maybe even wait for the balanced cable to arrive before leaving further feedback on SQ.

Will post more on DAC connection later.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #1,753 of 12,862
OK set Region to E and volume now at 75 instead of 90 for same loudness to my ears. If I switch on High Gain its around 70. High gain doesn't have as big of an effect over SE as I thought it would unless it also depends on impedence of the earphones.

It does sound nicer set to region E so no idea what's going on there.

Will leave it for over 20hrs playing now and maybe even wait for the balanced cable to arrive before leaving further feedback on SQ.

Will post more on DAC connection later.
If you use high-gain on headphones that do not require it, I think you're only wasting battery life. Not 100% sure though

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,755 of 12,862
There's definitely more than a volume cap with the EU region setting to my ears. It just sounds better with Region E, not just potential for higher volume. Anybody that gets an EU version MUST change region ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back