Sony NW-ZX300
May 1, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #11,386 of 12,862
@morgenstern09 was very kind, and we went through 14 different versions.
On my ZX300 with a Romi Audio mod, I found my favorites in the B and B+
- B+ is my favorite. A 3D stage, detailed, immersive. But need to dial down the volume for some music where the mid/highs can sound "hard/hot", especially if the source is not good.
- B if music has more high frequency content, as B is a bit smoother than B+ for mid/high vocals. But the tradeoff is slightly less detail/energy. It is also possible that B may work better for stock hardware. Have to try it and see...

The A and A+ are there in case they provide a better synergy with a different setup.
Update: I have switched from B+ to B, after listening to a broader choice of music. The B+ tuning is a bit forced/accentuated, and makes some music sound harsh.

On first listen, it is more impressive, but with a longer time, and listening to more selections of music, I am finding that B is a more balanced and enjoyable SQ, which works for most music, and will not tire you out from the boosted nature of the B+.

May 1, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #11,387 of 12,862
Update: I have switched from B+ to B, after listening to a broader choice of music. The B+ tuning is a bit forced/accentuated, and makes some music sound harsh.

On first listen, it is more impressive, but with a longer time, and listening to more selections of music, I am finding that B is a more balanced and enjoyable SQ, which works for most music, and will not tire you out from the boosted nature of the B+.

I don't remember which one is similar with WM1Az or WM1A-z1, but I also used WM1A-z1 (which I consider being the B+) for a while and then I switched to WM1Az (B) and it seemed more relaxed and less boosted, yes, listenable for longer periods of time.

May 2, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #11,388 of 12,862
The improved build/components of the WM1A are not the reason for the SQ difference, because the SQ tuning can change the ZX300 so that there is minimal difference between the 2? I would say the SQ tuning has an effect, and this could be used to narrow the SQ difference beetween the 2. Does this mean that the build/components do not make any difference? Personally, I do not believe that, as I have experimented, and seen how components make a big difference. However, for the people who believe that components do not make any difference, then they will have a different opinion. Again, it is up to each persons experiences and beliefs.
Thanks again for taking time to reply, that was closer to what I was wondering about.

May 2, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #11,389 of 12,862
@morgenstern09 was very kind, and we went through 14 different versions.
On my ZX300 with a Romi Audio mod, I found my favorites in the B and B+
- B+ is my favorite. A 3D stage, detailed, immersive. But need to dial down the volume for some music where the mid/highs can sound "hard/hot", especially if the source is not good.
- B if music has more high frequency content, as B is a bit smoother than B+ for mid/high vocals. But the tradeoff is slightly less detail/energy. It is also possible that B may work better for stock hardware. Have to try it and see...

The A and A+ are there in case they provide a better synergy with a different setup.
Are you able to please provide some details on the Romi Audio Mod? I've heard people having mods done but from following this thread for a couple of years I must have missed any talk of it here. I looked at their site but it doesn't seem to have specific device info. I was interest in pricing, options of tweaks and time frames. Also if you were able to perhaps comment on what improvements you noticed? Does it close the gap on the WM1A for example?

May 2, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #11,390 of 12,862
@ttt123 Did you try these too

Avlos - Sweet and laid back sound, with unmistakable detail retrieval, and balanced
all across the range. Experience warmth, musicality, and smoothness in your music.

Diavlos - Feel the punch and let the bass depth rattle your senses while producing
clear and airy vocals, coupled with silky smooth highs with excellent detail retrieval.

May 2, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #11,391 of 12,862
@ttt123 Did you try these too
Yes, I tried them. I liked Diavlos. The new ones are a progression from the Avlos/Diavlos, so I feel they are better/different.

A disclaimer: I am a lazy tester, and have trusted my memory/impressions, and actually not gone back to test Diavlos, after the current round of testing, and finding the B tuning to my liking.
Edit: and I have not always found my memory/impressions to be correct. I like to think my memory is good, but the evidence is that it is not as good as I think it is....

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #11,392 of 12,862
Are you able to please provide some details on the Romi Audio Mod? I've heard people having mods done but from following this thread for a couple of years I must have missed any talk of it here. I looked at their site but it doesn't seem to have specific device info. I was interest in pricing, options of tweaks and time frames. Also if you were able to perhaps comment on what improvements you noticed? Does it close the gap on the WM1A for example?
Sent you a PM with info on Romi Mod. No details on the ZX300 mod, though, other than that it changes the earphone jack wiring (to silver) and some added caps to strengthen the audio power reserve, and the power. Not a lot of discussion on mods on this ZX300 thread (none?).
There is a lot of discussion on WM1x mods on the WM1Z thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2461

Does the ZX300 mod bring it closer to the WM1A? Talking apples and oranges here. It improves the ZX300 for sure, is what I can say. But if I had to make a choice of where to spend the money on a main system, I would spend it on a WM1A.

Now, if the ZX300 currently satisfies all your requirements, and you have no urge/desire to upgrade to a new DAP, then a mod to improve the ZX300 is worth it. (to my thinking)

May 3, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #11,393 of 12,862
I just had a very quick try of B+, which I found to have little bit to much bass with the variety of tracks I tried, almost like a mild bass boost effect, this was the main thing that I noticed and can't comment on any other of the tuning qualities. I then tried A+ which seemed to be a bit more pleasing to my ears - highly likely because I have been recently using my Fiio Q5s w/AM3D which is kind of the opposite of the warm Sony sound, being more neutral. When I have time I'll try some others.

May 3, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #11,395 of 12,862
I just had a very quick try of B+, which I found to have little bit to much bass with the variety of tracks I tried, almost like a mild bass boost effect, this was the main thing that I noticed and can't comment on any other of the tuning qualities. I then tried A+ which seemed to be a bit more pleasing to my ears - highly likely because I have been recently using my Fiio Q5s w/AM3D which is kind of the opposite of the warm Sony sound, being more neutral. When I have time I'll try some others.
Give B a try. I found it more balanced and less "in your face" than B+

May 9, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #11,396 of 12,862
Have two questions please.

1. My ZX300 interface slightly changed by itself, and it must have been something I did. …. When back at the menu page, I see categories like Album, Artist, etc. The position of Artist moved from second down on the left, to top left. It's not a problem as such. Although it does mean I keep selecting Album, when I mean to select Artist. .. Have I somehow changed a setting that is available in that menu?

Did anyone find out which battery the ZX300 uses? Am thinking to pre-empt my battery dying. I'd like to know the model number of the battery if it is available. Rather than my battery dying and then trying to find the model number. ... I know the Sony manual says have the battery done by Sony, but how many of us will do that anyway. It will be cheaper to do it at home.

May 9, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #11,397 of 12,862
Just found an image of the battery. It looks like it is a Sony Corp LIS1650.

Attachments

• ZX300 internals.jpg
    ZX300 internals.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #11,398 of 12,862
Did anyone find out which battery the ZX300 uses? Am thinking to pre-empt my battery dying. I'd like to know the model number of the battery if it is available. Rather than my battery dying and then trying to find the model number. ... I know the Sony manual says have the battery done by Sony, but how many of us will do that anyway. It will be cheaper to do it at home.

I wouldn't worry too much, I have used mine every day for over two years, often turning off and restarting, and battery is as good as when new.

May 9, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #11,399 of 12,862
@GreenBow Hold down the Artist/Album/etc labels to re-arrange them. You probably lingered a bit and thus inadvertently re-arranged them.

Source: press the Toolbox icon, then select 'View Help'.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #11,400 of 12,862
I wouldn't worry too much, I have used mine every day for over two years, often turning off and restarting, and battery is as good as when new.

Yeah the battery is holding up well.

Have had mine over a year. I use on walks and I go regularly. Plus I use it as a file source for Mojo and Hugo 2.

@GreenBow Hold down the Artist/Album/etc labels to re-arrange them. You probably lingered a bit and thus inadvertently re-arranged them.

Source: press the Toolbox icon, then select 'View Help'.

Got it - thank you! .. Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back