Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 24, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #11,341 of 12,862
Is 2.01 available for download anywhere?

Is there something wrong with the current version? Mine got updated to 2.02 on the day I bought it. Didn't really have any change to compare. I'm mostly happy with my unit, but it does sound average with string instruments. Guitar sound particularly. Lacking in tone definition and texture. This over both balanced and standard connection.

Regards

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #11,342 of 12,862
Is there something wrong with the current version? Mine got updated to 2.02 on the day I bought it. Didn't really have any change to compare. I'm mostly happy with my unit, but it does sound average with string instruments. Guitar sound particularly. Lacking in tone definition and texture. This over both balanced and standard connection.

Regards

Some owners here believe that each firmware version has its own 'sound'. Thus, the need to have every possible firmware release so they can experiment with the sound.

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #11,343 of 12,862

Regards

You always change the region code with the Rockbox tool and see how it sounds then. Regions J & MX3 are frequently recommended on the WM1A forum, my own ZX-300 is flipped from region E to J

CN - Tuned for the Chinese market, heavy on resolution, bass is tamed
CA - Mid bass spills over, big fun & bouncy wears off in time
J - Relatively neutral, little veiled in the treble, equally allows for prolonged listening without fatigue
E - V shaped, can be piercing with some highly resolving IEM's, fine on ZX300, not so much on WM1A as is more resolving
MX3 - U shaped very musical and enjoyable
TW - Trades off resolution for bass, with narrower staging

There are 16 regions in total, the changes are nuanced, depending on your IEM & HP, choice of genres and hearing the difference should be apparent; if I had to call it J & MX3...

Avoid the EU regions as they are volume limited (CEW & CEW2)

Q-6

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #11,344 of 12,862
Some owners here believe that each firmware version has its own 'sound'. Thus, the need to have every possible firmware release so they can experiment with the sound.
Thank you! I would have thought that with sound processing off , sound would be what you get from the hardware. This means there's an 'default tuning' software layer between hardware and user sound options?

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #11,345 of 12,862
You always change the region code with the Rockbox tool and see how it sounds then. Regions J & MX3 are frequently recommended on the WM1A forum, my own ZX-300 is flipped from region E to J

CN - Tuned for the Chinese market, heavy on resolution, bass is tamed
CA - Mid bass spills over, big fun & bouncy wears off in time
J - Relatively neutral, little veiled in the treble, equally allows for prolonged listening without fatigue
E - V shaped, can be piercing with some highly resolving IEM's, fine on ZX300, not so much on WM1A as is more resolving
MX3 - U shaped very musical and enjoyable
TW - Trades off resolution for bass, with narrower staging

There are 16 regions in total, the changes are nuanced, depending on your IEM & HP, choice of genres and hearing the difference should be apparent; if I had to call it J & MX3...

Avoid the EU regions as they are volume limited (CEW & CEW2)

Q-6

Wow. This is crazy (for me at least). I do have rockbox installed. Used it to check my region settings but never knew that these region settings have their own sound.
Well. Costs nothing to experiment. Thank you for your detailed reply.

Kind Regards

edit: I use Sony IER-M7 and FA E5000 IEM's

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #11,346 of 12,862
Wow. This is crazy (for me at least). I do have rockbox installed. Used it to check my region settings but never knew that these region settings have their own sound.
Well. Costs nothing to experiment. Thank you for your detailed reply.

Kind Regards

edit: I use Sony IER-M7 and FA E5000 IEM's

I do hear a difference as do many others, and flipping from a treble tilted region such a CN to a bass focussed region such as TW is apparent. It cost nothing to try, so why not :)

Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #11,347 of 12,862
Thank you! I would have thought that with sound processing off , sound would be what you get from the hardware. This means there's an 'default tuning' software layer between hardware and user sound options?

Well, so did I, but again, some folks are convinced, so that's that.

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #11,348 of 12,862
Hi guys, haven't been on here in well over a year. Can you tell me what it is I need exactly to connect my ZX300 to my receiver (AVR)? Links (Amazon?) to needed items would be appreciated if possible.. I may already have a few, as I have what is needed to connect ZX300 to my iPhone X to use ZX300 in DAC mode.

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #11,349 of 12,862
My new shiny ZX507

SAM_1485.JPG

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #11,350 of 12,862
Sorry, I haven't sifted through this forum to find an answer to this, but: Did we ZX300 owners blow it by not waiting for the ZX507? If I'm not mistaken, seems like you can access Tidal, and so download Tidal high-res tracks for on the go, no? If the sound is the same between the two units, that feature alone would be worth the upgrade..

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #11,351 of 12,862
Sorry, I haven't sifted through this forum to find an answer to this, but: Did we ZX300 owners blow it by not waiting for the ZX507? If I'm not mistaken, seems like you can access Tidal, and so download Tidal high-res tracks for on the go, no? If the sound is the same between the two units, that feature alone would be worth the upgrade..

Pretty much. ZX507 runs android 9.0 for access to streaming services like tidal and the audio hardware is slightly improved over ZX300 as well. It is a bit more expensive though.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #11,352 of 12,862

Depends on if you value streaming or not. If you don't, ZX300 blows the ZX507's battery out of the water. Otherwise, the ZX507 is a clear improvement over the ZX300.

Right now, the ZX507 is also a lot dearer, at $1200 vs $400 AUD locally.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #11,353 of 12,862
Okay, well, I really wanted the ability to download high res tracks from Tidal and take them on the go. Say, I'm streaming via LDAC to LDAC headphones, how many hours should I expect before battery wears down? I bit the bullet, and went ahead and ordered a ZX-507 from an eBay seller in Japan. I wanted a black one and it looked like I could only get a black one from Japan. I'm in the U.S. Anyone want to buy a like-new ZX300? It's still in like-new shape. And I burned in the 200 hours just recently. Otherwise, I barely used it. Will I need to update anything, or make any switches on the ZX-507 with Rockbox? Or, will all needed settings/options already come with it? Sound limiter? Anyone know what I should expect for a Japanese version?

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #11,354 of 12,862
No limiter on Japan model, when connected to WiFi you will be prompted to update firmware. Nothing else you need to do, just enter playstore and download tidal etc. Japan model is no different than US model other than some pre installed apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back