Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 13, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #10,156 of 12,862
^
Those are your impressions.

Your conclusion should be which one do you prefer?

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #10,157 of 12,862
^
Those are your impressions.

Your conclusion should be which one do you prefer?
I think one can have more than one conclusion from one experiment.. That's looking from all angles ie. being objectively possible..

It's like comparing a Ferrari vs a Rolls-Royce - which is the better car? It depends on what you're after.. :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #10,158 of 12,862
Got to try out the Oriolus BA300s amp that was designed to be paired with the ZX300 the other day thanks to Xtenik. Have to say I really like what it does for the sound. A bit warmer, smoother, and a whole lot more output power. I posted my review here this morning or its also on my blog.

Jul 14, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #10,159 of 12,862
So I got a ZX300 and IER-M7s. At first I was like, this is good but weak. I plugged in my EX700s and so much better. Then I found the high gain setting and tried the M7s again aaaaah ok NOW I get it. Now it's loud and clear but less harsh than the EX700s. Best portable sound I've had, surpasses DAT and my MZ-RH1.

So how can I control the DAP with my mobile phone? I need a remote but the one of offer is so ugly and basic looking, nothing on the old LCD stick remotes that Sony used to do.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #10,160 of 12,862
Just got the ZX-300, pairing it with a IER-M9. I've ordered a separate 4.4mm cable for it (a MUC-M12NB1), but for now I'm running it off a random 3.5mm I had around. I don't dare to use the included cables with the M9 - they cost far too much for me to break (around 2-300 euros to replace)

I'm liking the player a lot. Main draw for me was the battery life - I was getting a bit sick of my smartphone needing constant recharges throughout the day as I listen quite a bit on it. I've already run 2 full days of listening through it - battery indicator is still at 2 bars (out of 3). Just a note - using BT absolutely decimates the battery life. Not surprising, and most people won't be using it for that anyway, but just a heads-up.

Sound quality, I honestly do not have the ears to discern between DAPS and amps. But I can say, that the lack of background hiss is excellent. I even tried it on a Polaris (which is notoriously hissy, ala Campfire Audio) and it didn't so much as hiss either. Other DAPS I've tried unfortunately can't say the same - the Fiio M11 hissed like a snake throughout with the Polaris.

Some other comments:
- This thing is -thick-. It's over two times as thick as my phone. If you like wearing skinny jeans, that might be a problem. Good for battery and component noise reduction, bad for slimness. OK with suit pants and chinos.
- Besides thickness, it's actually quite petite. Me likey.
- OS isn't Android. Good - no nonsense, just music. If I want to use apps, I'll use my phone.
- WM-PORT sucks. No other way to say it - the recessed port is a bit of a drawback too as it's ridiculously easy to scuff the area if you plug it in the wrong way. USB-C or go home IMO.
- Screen is tiny. Good if you're young, bad if you're old. You're not looking at it all day anyway, so I see that as an acceptable compromise as that means the battery will last longer. That being said, it's painfully obvious this panel was taken from the ZX100, as that one actually made use of the blank area. Oh, and did I say it doesn't use glass? THANK YOU.
- Every time you connect it to a PC, you will rebuild database. The first time takes absolutely ages; every subsequent time takes barely a minute. Not ideal, but hardly the initial dealbreaker I thought it would be.
- Playlist support is disgusting. No other way to say it - if I bring a M3U playlist over, I can't add to it without some gymnastics. What I have to do it; 1. Create M3U playlist and transfer to ZX300. 2. Make a copy in ZX300, delete the M3U playlist, keeping in mind to rename the duplicated playlist the same name as the old one. 3. Add to it. Worse, whenever I sync to my computer, it'll automatically create an actual M3U playlist, and you'll have to repeat 1-3 again.
- 90% battery saver is a godsend. All my old Sony devices had something similar, and I can never thank them more for it. For those who don't know, the amount of 'effort' to charge from 20-80% for Li-Ion/Li-Po batteries is the same as 80-100%.
- No volume knob - good and bad. Good in that accidentally volume is no longer a real problem, bad in that I like knobs.
- Buttons are nice, and the volume+ and play buttons have a tactile bump to them. Shame I can't feel it as I put a Dignis case on it. Speaking of that case, very nice but good golly I wish it was cheaper.
- Takes ages to charge. Out of the box, it took ~4 hours to charge. For a 1500mAh battery, I have no idea what kind of CC-CV curve they're going for. I suppose it's a good thing - means they're not burning out the battery.

Might seem like a negative review, but I actually like it a lot. I always like to emphasise the negatives, because if it means you can overlook them, the positives can speak for themselves.

If only they can fix up the playlists...……….

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #10,161 of 12,862
Just got the ZX-300, pairing it with a IER-M9. I've ordered a separate 4.4mm cable for it (a MUC-S12SM1), but for now I'm running it off a random 3.5mm I had around. I don't dare to use the included cables with the M9 - they cost far too much for me to break (around 2-300 euros to replace)

I'm liking the player a lot. Main draw for me was the battery life - I was getting a bit sick of my smartphone needing constant recharges throughout the day as I listen quite a bit on it. I've already run 2 full days of listening through it - battery indicator is still at 2 bars (out of 3). Just a note - using BT absolutely decimates the battery life. Not surprising, and most people won't be using it for that anyway, but just a heads-up.

Sound quality, I honestly do not have the ears to discern between DAPS and amps. But I can say, that the lack of background hiss is excellent. I even tried it on a Polaris (which is notoriously hissy, ala Campfire Audio) and it didn't so much as hiss either. Other DAPS I've tried unfortunately can't say the same - the Fiio M11 hissed like a snake throughout with the Polaris.

Some other comments:
- This thing is -thick-. It's over two times as thick as my phone. If you like wearing skinny jeans, that might be a problem. Good for battery and component noise reduction, bad for slimness. OK with suit pants and chinos.
- Besides thickness, it's actually quite petite. Me likey.
- OS isn't Android. Good - no nonsense, just music. If I want to use apps, I'll use my phone.
- WM-PORT sucks. No other way to say it - the recessed port is a bit of a drawback too as it's ridiculously easy to scuff the area if you plug it in the wrong way. USB-C or go home IMO.
- Screen is tiny. Good if you're young, bad if you're old. You're not looking at it all day anyway, so I see that as an acceptable compromise as that means the battery will last longer. That being said, it's painfully obvious this panel was taken from the ZX100, as that one actually made use of the blank area. Oh, and did I say it doesn't use glass? THANK YOU.
- Every time you connect it to a PC, you will rebuild database. The first time takes absolutely ages; every subsequent time takes barely a minute. Not ideal, but hardly the initial dealbreaker I thought it would be.
- Playlist support is disgusting. No other way to say it - if I bring a M3U playlist over, I can't add to it without some gymnastics. What I have to do it; 1. Create M3U playlist and transfer to ZX300. 2. Make a copy in ZX300, delete the M3U playlist, keeping in mind to rename the duplicated playlist the same name as the old one. 3. Add to it. Worse, whenever I sync to my computer, it'll automatically create an actual M3U playlist, and you'll have to repeat 1-3 again.
- 90% battery saver is a godsend. All my old Sony devices had something similar, and I can never thank them more for it. For those who don't know, the amount of 'effort' to charge from 20-80% for Li-Ion/Li-Po batteries is the same as 80-100%.
- No volume knob - good and bad. Good in that accidentally volume is no longer a real problem, bad in that I like knobs.
- Buttons are nice, and the volume+ and play buttons have a tactile bump to them. Shame I can't feel it as I put a Dignis case on it. Speaking of that case, very nice but good golly I wish it was cheaper.
- Takes ages to charge. Out of the box, it took ~4 hours to charge. For a 1500mAh battery, I have no idea what kind of CC-CV curve they're going for. I suppose it's a good thing - means they're not burning out the battery.

Might seem like a negative review, but I actually like it a lot. I always like to emphasise the negatives, because if it means you can overlook them, the positives can speak for themselves.

If only they can fix up the playlists...……….

Nice. Would like to know if the separate Sony cable you ordered fits the IER-M9. Was planning to order the MMCX to Balanced 4.4 cable from Sony as well but was worried if it will fit the IER-M9.

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #10,162 of 12,862
Pretty much every MMCX cable I've tested in an audio store fits in. Now, if the MUC-M12NB1 has bigger MMCX heads than the other ones, I'm SOL and out a hundred or so, but I'm fairly optimistic. Will update when I receive it.

I also have a MUC-M2BT1 and that also fits pretty easy. Actually has quite a bit of a gap when I use the M2 on it.

If only Amazon US didn't use the travesty that is iParcel, I'd have received it by now...……………….

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #10,163 of 12,862
Pretty much every MMCX cable I've tested in an audio store fits in. Now, if the MUC-M12NB1 has bigger MMCX heads than the other ones, I'm SOL and out a hundred or so, but I'm fairly optimistic. Will update when I receive it.

If only Amazon US didn't use the travesty that is iParcel, I'd have received it by now...……………….

That's good to know. I was pretty afraid myself to try out my other MMCX cables to the M9. Thanks man. Hope it goes well.

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #10,164 of 12,862
That's good to know. I was pretty afraid myself to try out my other MMCX cables to the M9. Thanks man. Hope it goes well.

The problem isn't getting it in - after all, if the diameter of the plug is smaller than the opening, it'll go in. The problem is getting it out - if the barrel is too short, there isn't much purchase to grab and pull the plugs out. I've actually destroyed an admittedly very cheap MMCX cable trying to get it out.

Anyways, back to the ZX300.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #10,165 of 12,862
I’m having some buyers remorse.

Friend of mine bought a ZX300a for me, from a Sony store while visiting companies in China.

Two issues: Bluetooth Connection and sound quality. Bluetooth is my biggest issue... it doesn’t see my car! I can receive Bluetooth from my phone and iPad sent to the ZX300a, my car connects to my phone, iPad, and FiiO X7, aaaaand I have quite a bit of experience with Bluetooth and troubleshooting tech... but my car just doesn’t show up on discoverable devices for the Sony. Even after clearing all the saved devices in my car and following the car’s radio manual to a T, no joy. Is the ZX300 somehow not backwards compatible with older Bluetooth devices (2013)?

With sound quality, I’ve put 100 hours so far into playback with various IEMs and headphones, and with most headphones (less so for naturally warm IEMs), I find the sound fairly cold and dry, amazing detail and soundstage but vocals and a lot of the heart of music occasionally but noticeably sounds digital. I’m sorry to say it but the shorter battery life FiiO X7 (with AM2A amp) sounds fuller and richer.

I heard that the amp in the WM1A and ZX300 were the same, and the WM1Z was just a higher build quality of the same, but apparently of late people’s opinions have changed? I was satisfied with an HD 820 plugged straight into the WM1Z, much more “analog” and rich. At home, I’m using a Campfire IEM, HD 58X Jubilee (150 Ω), HD 650, HD 800 (with Pentaconn 4.4mm Wireworld cable), and an AKG K612... just not the same experience.

Debating on selling. Sound is overall good, just not as satisfying as the FiiO I was hoping to replace, but the worst offender was the lack of Bluetooth compatibility.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10,169 of 12,862
How much do you want for it?
PM me, if I don’t find a solution. Like you, I’d rather it just be “great!” after a few more hours playback and maybe some settings troubleshooting.

That's odd! I have had no problems with a F150, Ford Edge, or several BMWs and Audis. What car?
It’s a 2013 Volkswagen Golf. It seems to see Smartphone Bluetooth devices (including the FiiO running Android). So, it’s like a cheaper version of your Audi.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #10,170 of 12,862
I have no problem connecting my Sony DAP's to a 2014 Audi via Bluetooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back