Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #8,431 of 12,862
I really want the silver one because it sounds better, but there is a sale on the black model in my country for $200 cheaper.

So I will just have to wait until I can find a cheap silver one :frowning2:

I had the choice to buy the black and the silver one at the VERY same price and went for the black one...very sexy and the fact that it's not available here in Europe made it even more appealing.
Don't believe everything you read on the 'net. The sound is IDENTICAL.

Jan 1, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #8,432 of 12,862
Anyone know of a slip case for this DAP? Like you just slide it in and out of the top. I will largely use it at work and I’d like to fully remove it and have it sat on my desk without the case as it looks so nice!

Jan 1, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #8,433 of 12,862
I had the choice to buy the black and the silver one at the VERY same price and went for the black one...very sexy and the fact that it's not available here in Europe made it even more appealing.
Don't believe everything you read on the 'net. The sound is IDENTICAL.

Read what? It's just logical that the silver will sound slightly better due to lower grounding resistance of the chassis = more bass and treble extension, better transparency. I could always buy the black and sand the paint off but that would be messy.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #8,434 of 12,862
I could always buy the black and sand the paint off but that would be messy.

I managed it. Took a few days with a dremel though. :construction_worker:

20190102_000709.jpg

20190102_001032.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #8,435 of 12,862
Read what? It's just logical that the silver will sound slightly better due to lower grounding resistance of the chassis = more bass and treble extension, better transparency. I could always buy the black and sand the paint off but that would be messy.
So if I have the silver and use plastic or silicon case, sound quality will slightly worse than without using those?

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #8,437 of 12,862
So if I have the silver and use plastic or silicon case, sound quality will slightly worse than without using those?

No it won't, it is the black anodization which lowers the electrical conductivity of the metal chassis due to the thick oxidation deposit, anodization creates a non-conductive surface, this all increases the electrical resistance of the chassis, and since the chassis is used for direct grounding it affects the sound as you want the lowest electrical resistance in a chassis metal, that is why the WM1Z uses a copper chassis, because copper has lower electrical resistance than aluminum, also notice the WM1Z chassis is not anodized but rather gold plated.

I managed it. Took a few days with a dremel though. :construction_worker:

Nice work!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #8,438 of 12,862
No it won't, it is the black anodization which lowers the electrical conductivity of the metal chassis due the thicker oxidation deposit, increasing it's electrical resistance, and since the chassis is used for direct grounding it affects the sound as you want the lowest electrical resistance in a chassis metal, that is why the WM1Z uses a copper chassis with gold plating, because copper has lower electrical resistance than aluminum and the gold plating stops the copper from oxidizing.

Nice work!
Thanks for the information, never try the silver one before, I'm gonna do the A/B if I met one

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #8,441 of 12,862
Unless you actually do a Blind A/B all you are posting is speculation gibberish that belongs in the Sound Science section anyways

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #8,442 of 12,862
Unless you actually do a Blind A/B all you are posting is speculation gibberish that belongs in the Sound Science section anyways

It's science not speculation, otherwise would be called sound speculation section, which btw is what the entirety of head-fi otherwise should be called haha.

Didn't have anything more to say, sorry my few comments bothered you so much.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #8,443 of 12,862
It's science not speculation, otherwise would be called sound speculation section, which btw is what the entirety of head-fi otherwise should be called haha.

Didn't have anything more to say, sorry my few comments bothered you so much.
You sound like you know what you’re talking about but I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone could pick out one over the other in a/b testing. No way my dude.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #8,444 of 12,862
Has anyone paired the ZX300 with the IER-M7 Sony IEMs? I’ve sent back my Z7M2 and have my sights set on the M7s now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back