Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #6,301 of 12,862
My brother just got access to the family trust fund lol so yesterday he bought some huge ass Sony Bluetooth speaker and I tried my zx300 on it with ldac and it sounded really nice, great clarity and no drop outs. I was about 8 to 10 feet away from said speaker. It was the first time I used Bluetooth on my 300, I tried all the settings and thought ldac sounded the best.

However the standard Bluetooth seemed to get a touch louder and his galaxy 8 seemed even louder on BT, but not as nuanced. On headphones I'm sure it would really make a difference- I mean ldac. Bluetooth on zx300 is very good!

On a side note he was blown away from the zx300 from the balanced out and offered to give me 100 dollars for it on the spot plus 50 tomorrow :wink: he's not into daps, ha ha. I'm pretty sure he was just fing with me, the zx300 doesn't look like a bargin dap like cayin n3, or maybe he was serious, as I said he's not into daps.

Of course I said no, no one gets my zx300 unless Sony comes out with an anniversary model that's smallish and better or they or the pry it from my dead hands :)

Unless he knew and was just jerking your chain, he probably meant it. To anyone not into the gear or able to appreciate what's in there, $150 - $200 is probably their mental ceiling for anything with the name "Walkman" attached to it, especially if they were around for the old cassette and CD models. I told my wife how much the zx300 and WM1A were and she acted like she was going to have a stroke. "For a Walkman?!?!" she asked, like I must be out of my friggin mind.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #6,302 of 12,862
Unless he knew and was just jerking your chain, he probably meant it. To anyone not into the gear or able to appreciate what's in there, $150 - $200 is probably their mental ceiling for anything with the name "Walkman" attached to it, especially if they were around for the old cassette and CD models. I told my wife how much the zx300 and WM1A were and she acted like she was going to have a stroke. "For a Walkman?!?!" she asked, like I must be out of my friggin mind.
I think the price of those Z1R you're considering might well bring on a stroke

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #6,303 of 12,862
I'm considering the ibasso IT03 - can anyone please comment on how they sound using the balanced out? I'm concerned about the odd comment of sibilance.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #6,304 of 12,862
I think the price of those Z1R you're considering might well bring on a stroke

Her reaction to the entry price for the modern walkman was when I was still looking at the $300 headphone bracket. I eased her into it, and I wisely associated the Z1R with her own taste in pricey crap. "For once I want something better than the same old $300 plastic headphone." With that way of thinking, she could connect. There's a Hermes handbag in the closet that rarely comes out, but she had to have it.

Also we've had a "personal money" arrangement for years. We each can spend or save for ourselves at an agreed rate. Definitely a good idea after you've been married a while. I can spend my money on just about anything but hookers and blow, and it's none of her business lol. (And she spends hers how she likes, too.)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #6,305 of 12,862
Her reaction to the entry price for the modern walkman was when I was still looking at the $300 headphone bracket. I eased her into it, and I wisely associated the Z1R with her own taste in pricey crap. "For once I want something better than the same old $300 plastic headphone." With that way of thinking, she could connect. There's a Hermes handbag in the closet that rarely comes out, but she had to have it.
Oh, very nicely played there.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #6,306 of 12,862

Also we've had a "personal money" arrangement for years. We each can spend or save for ourselves at an agreed rate. Definitely a good idea after you've been married a while. I can spend my money on just about anything but hookers and blow, and it's none of her business lol. (And she spends hers how she likes, too.)
aaaw shucks no blow!!

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #6,310 of 12,862

What about hookers on blow? :L3000::ksc75smile:

Awe shucks, the women don't want us to have any fun, do they?

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #6,311 of 12,862
I have been following Sony's recommendation to burn in the balanced and unbalanced jacks for 200 hrs each. Seems a bit excessive, but it helps me burn in my HEXv2 headphones at the same time. I've got 200 hrs on the balanced jack and 150 on the unbalanced jack, so I'm almost there.

Just got my silicone case from China last night, but I'm still a bit wary of carrying the ZX300 around when it might get scratched. So far it has not left my apartment. Funny, I don't feel half as protective of my iPhone, which was actually more expensive. :p

Does anyone else have similar concerns about keeping the ZX300 scratch-free? If so, do you use a form-fitting/Pelican-type case with it that allays those concerns?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #6,313 of 12,862
I have been following Sony's recommendation to burn in the balanced and unbalanced jacks for 200 hrs each. Seems a bit excessive, but it helps me burn in my HEXv2 headphones at the same time. I've got 200 hrs on the balanced jack and 150 on the unbalanced jack, so I'm almost there.

Just got my silicone case from China last night, but I'm still a bit wary of carrying the ZX300 around when it might get scratched. So far it has not left my apartment. Funny, I don't feel half as protective of my iPhone, which was actually more expensive. :p

Does anyone else have similar concerns about keeping the ZX300 scratch-free? If so, do you use a form-fitting/Pelican-type case with it that allays those concerns?
I actually only travel once a year where I need to protect it in a case. The pelican ones are good but are a bit big so I got myself a fishing lure box that has smaller dimensions, has a silent slider opener, and a built in foam layer that offers protection on one side (I added some to the top myself). There are pictures I posted a couple of months back. The downside is that I can't quite fit my earphones as well, but I have a small Zero Audio box for those.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #6,314 of 12,862
I actually only travel once a year where I need to protect it in a case. The pelican ones are good but are a bit big so I got myself a fishing lure box that has smaller dimensions, has a silent slider opener, and a built in foam layer that offers protection on one side (I added some to the top myself). There are pictures I posted a couple of months back. The downside is that I can't quite fit my earphones as well, but I have a small Audio Technica box for those.

FWIW the best everyday IEM case I've found is at WalMart, for $1. Go to the pharm/vitamin/shaving/beauty area, and somewhere usually along the back wall you'll find a section with travel items. There are 3oz liquid containers, 3oz. versions of popular toiletry items, toothbrush cases, etc. The hardshell plastic soap box is an EXCELLENT case for a set of IEM's. Stylish? no. But tough, easy to open, and just the right size. If your AT iem box is like my AT iem box (black, cloth hardshell, zipper) I found it a tight fit and a hassle to repack.

Here I made a couple pics. They come in different colors btw.

Bne9vsC.jpg

9sgCJJT.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #6,315 of 12,862
Oh, very nicely played there.
My partner is from Japan but she is not into brands so I can't use that angle, fortunatley she knows I'm fairly sensible with my spending and doesn't give me a hard time for my audio purchases. My angle is: I don't drink, don't smoke, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back