Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #601 of 12,862
if I remember well about 35 euros. But I still asked to declare a lower value.
Ah, that's not too much.Thank you.

Accessoryjack got back to me and had the following to say about shipping to Europe: "
We will do that to help customers to avoid tax as much as possible.

Usually will declare 20 euros for Europe automatically." (22 euros is the threshold for duties. Anything below and you do not need to pay. Question is if customs will believe it or not...)

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #602 of 12,862
Ah, that's not too much.Thank you.
Accessoryjack got back to me and had the following to say about shipping to Europe: "
We will do that to help customers to avoid tax as much as possible.
Usually will declare 20 euros for Europe automatically." (22 euros is the threshold for duties. Anything below and you do not need to pay. Question is if customs will believe it or not...)
You cannot generalize for each custom in EU, there is no rule.

In France, what you say generally holds true, they don't tax below 15-20€ because it would make less money than the cost of recovering the tax.
Now go to the Netherlands and everything they control (10-15% of incoming traffic) WILL be taxed, whatever the declared value. Of course, taxation over 20€ is small, but that will delay your package.

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #603 of 12,862
You cannot generalize for each custom in EU, there is no rule.

In France, what you say generally holds true, they don't tax below 15-20€ because it would make less money than the cost of recovering the tax.
Now go to the Netherlands and everything they control (10-15% of incoming traffic) WILL be taxed, whatever the declared value. Of course, taxation over 20€ is small, but that will delay your package.
You are right. My bad for hastily assuming that customs policy would be the same across the EU.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #604 of 12,862
I bought the Sony zx100 and the A36 from accessoryjack.com before and had them to sent to Ireland and didnt have to pay any tax on them.

But I think I was just lucky.

Another time I bought the A17 from a seller on ebay in Hong Kong and got hit with 70Euro import tax.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #605 of 12,862
I bought the Sony zx100 and the A36 from accessoryjack.com before and had them to sent to Ireland and didnt have to pay any tax on them.

But I think I was just lucky.

Another time I bought the A17 from a seller on ebay in Hong Kong and got hit with 70Euro import tax.
Not lucky, accessory jack does it on purpose and it's illegal I think. The seller on eBay did it like he should so normal tax applies. Accessoryjack puts 20$ as the worth of the package, which makes it tax free. Sometimes FedEx might check tho, so sometimes you have to pay a bit

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #608 of 12,862
Ak just releases ak70mk2. This would be the biggest competitor.

Agreed. Outside of sound quality these two companies has the most polished user experience for DAPs, AK has a slight upper hand in brand power when it comes to audio gear and will have more modern features (streaming, store etc), though I think Sony has an advantage in areas where it shows up more in long term ownership. The AK70 can get pretty warm even with a single DAC/amp architecture, I'm not sure going dual DACs and having an even more powerful amp stage will do to essentially the same chassis when it comes to heat management. On the other hand we know Sony's S-Master runs cool as a cucumber, which makes it more pocket friendly. Also surprisingly the ZX300 has price going in its favour, not something we often say when it comes to Sony branded gear.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #610 of 12,862
Ak just releases ak70mk2. This would be the biggest competitor.

Agreed. Outside of sound quality these two companies has the most polished user experience for DAPs, AK has a slight upper hand in brand power when it comes to audio gear and will have more modern features (streaming, store etc), though I think Sony has an advantage in areas where it shows up more in long term ownership. The AK70 can get pretty warm even with a single DAC/amp architecture, I'm not sure going dual DACs and having an even more powerful amp stage will do to essentially the same chassis when it comes to heat management. On the other hand we know Sony's S-Master runs cool as a cucumber, which makes it more pocket friendly. Also surprisingly the ZX300 has price going in its favour, not something we often say when it comes to Sony branded gear.

Cowon Plenue R too I think, they also have relatively polished UI and build quality. The Shanling M3s also has similar size/shape/specs. If the sound is good both are significantly more affordable as well.

Still leaning ZX300 though, due to preferring Sony UI & sound in past ( & never AK again after Jr almost destroyed my hearing due to volume control being affected by the ridiculous UI lag, and nonexistant support/updates).

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #611 of 12,862
It seems like the AK70MKII is overpriced and the built quality doesn't comes close to the Sony's, i'm still leaning towards the ZX300 or WM1A.

Not to mentioned, Sony has the best battery life on all current DAP.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #612 of 12,862
It's a easy decision for me to go with the ZX-300. The fact that it can act as a USB DAC/AMP while connected to a PC will save me from buying another PHA-2A for the office (using PHA-2A with XBA-Z5 at home). Although I don't really think I'm going to use balance output that often while on the go as I usually just go XBA-N3 to MUC-M2BT1 to NW-A30 using LDAC. The ability to hook it up to the PC when I get to the office would let me run the XBA-A3 in balance mode (currently using a Teac HA-P50). All that at about the same cost as buying another PHA-2A makes it simple.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #613 of 12,862
I'm a Sony fanboy and will not get the AK70 MKII. With Sony you can expect better UI, and likely slightly better sound quality due to better parts utilized in the player and much longer battery life. What else AK has in their player beside going from single to dual DAC? You also don't have to worry about the AK 70 MKIII six months from now.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #614 of 12,862
Cowon Plenue R too I think, they also have relatively polished UI and build quality. The Shanling M3s also has similar size/shape/specs. If the sound is good both are significantly more affordable as well.

Still leaning ZX300 though, due to preferring Sony UI & sound in past ( & never AK again after Jr almost destroyed my hearing due to volume control being affected by the ridiculous UI lag, and nonexistant support/updates).

I don't think the Shanling will have touch screen, that immediately rules it out for a lot of people. The Shanling will be competing in a different segment.

The Jr was not a good product, that one suffered from "race to bottom" syndrome in trying to meet a price point goal over everything else and cut too many corners, I think even AK themselves weren't confident enough in it thus break it out of the standard model name scheme so it won't tarnish the rest of the product line up and can rid of it if it wasn't received well (and on a similar note I think the KANN is build around the same idea, a highly experimental product to test the waters, though the KANN is much more well received). The AK70 is a different beast though, it is very high quality and extremely well received and reviewed, a product carrying the Mk2 name most likely won't be half-assed because everyone would be expecting it to be an improvement over the original, which was a good product.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #615 of 12,862
The release timing of SP1000, KANN with higher power output is so coincidence after Sony released their WM1Z, WM1A and AK70II after ZX300.

Shows Sony is doing the right stuffs with their DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back