Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 11, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #5,476 of 12,862
Today I was just checking out my 3.5 to 4.4 adapter to use my iEM on the ZX2, some how I think the ZX2 sounds better than the ZX300, people here would probably say it's impossible, but that's my opinion. I'm glad I still have my ZX2 and didn't sell it. My ZX2 definitely has the built quality that the ZX300 don't have and to me doesn't compete even though it's a 3year old model.

I'm assuming you mean the SE output and not the balanced of the 300 :)

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #5,477 of 12,862
Well audiophiles are known to put up with large amounts of stuff to get their sound. But something about the flippy floppy of the original cable simply was unbearable. I switched to the Mee system, which allows a person to put any plug on the end of the XBA-Z5s. So mainly it’s 3.5mm single ended to 1/4” out of the Asgard One then 4.4mm from the Sony 1Z. They don’t offer a ton of block-out of noise outside either, so I never leave the house with them. But for what they sound like in the end it’s a fairly great deal, considering you can find the Z5s for $399 now!

Where can I get the z5 for that price? Is it worth it over the h3?

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #5,478 of 12,862
Where can I get the z5 for that price? Is it worth it over the h3?

It’s a regular Hong Kong street price by a member that owned a pair but here it is for $100 more. I’ve seen them at different places for $399, you will see them on Amazon for $399 at times.
https://www.amazon.com/XBA-Z5-Balanced-Armature-Headphones-International/dp/B00PF89YXG

The difference is that they placed the dynamic driver way closer to your ear, that’s why they have that shape. I’ve not heard the H3 but general concensis is the Z5 is the flagship thus a higher original retail ($699). Still many like the H3 better, I have not heard them.

http://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/in-ear-headphones/xba-n3

I’m probably going to get the XBA N3 next as the ergonomics look cool, and It’s rare to find a Sony Pentaconn IEM, so I’ll maybe get a pair when in Singapore?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #5,479 of 12,862
It’s a regular Hong Kong street price by a member that owned a pair but here it is for $100 more. I’ve seen them at different places for $399, you will see them on Amazon for $399 at times.
https://www.amazon.com/XBA-Z5-Balanced-Armature-Headphones-International/dp/B00PF89YXG

The difference is that they placed the dynamic driver way closer to your ear, that’s why they have that shape. I’ve not heard the H3 but general concensis is the Z5 is the flagship thus a higher original retail ($699). Still many like the H3 better, I have not heard them.

http://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/in-ear-headphones/xba-n3

I’m probably going to get the XBA N3 next as the ergonomics look cool, and It’s rare to find a Sony Pentaconn IEM, so I’ll maybe get a pair when in Singapore?
So the N3 and H3 don’t have the same problem as the Z5, where it's just sticking out of your ear and so very unstable, easy to fall out, or fall out of place?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #5,480 of 12,862
Mar 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #5,482 of 12,862
Can anyone confirm if sub-bass improves with burn in after 50 hours? I noticed when listening to some electronic music as I was looking for tracks to load onto the zx 300 that my Mac book pro seemed to produce a noticeable amount more weight on the very lowest octaves as compared to the 300. I’m not saying that the 300 is light in the bass, it’s articulate and very much there, but it noticably doesn’t dig as “subterranean” as the headphone out on my MacBook Pro. Any thoughts?

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #5,483 of 12,862
Buddy, I’ve never owned the H3?

@https://www.head-fi.org/members/jerryhead.486176/

But........the N3 has a totally different form factor, and because the dynamic sits way farther out in a different position, I’m getting a pair to try.

N3 not H3 two different IEMs by Sony

Many love the H3, do the research.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #5,484 of 12,862
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/cthomas.389793/

“Is the newer ZX300 better than the couple year old 1A?”

I’ve heard the 1Z- 1A and ZX 300 all back to back.

Your probably not going to find folks who love the sound of the ZX300 over the 1A. But I heard the 1A with the previous firmware update. The new firmware changed the sound of the 1A more than ever before.

That said, the ZX300 sounds incredibly good and is way smaller and more low weight. The screen was neat and different being it’s flat and the 1A is glossy. The ZX300 is also the choice if you want a home DAC. To overcome the small memory just put a card in it. That’s a big difference with the 1Z having 250GB internal memory for songs.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #5,485 of 12,862
Can anyone confirm if sub-bass improves with burn in after 50 hours? it noticably doesn’t dig as “subterranean” as the headphone . Any thoughts?
I have about 50hrs on my ZX300, I notice very slight improvement in soundstage from 0-50hrs. IMO the ZX300 is very flat and needs to be paired with an appropriate headphone/IEM for your tastes... in our case probably a THUMPER.

My Z1R are supposedly a very warm sounding HP, but with the ZX300 to me sounds about right.
I also have a pair of Denon AH-D5000 which are also supposed to be warm but just doesn't dig deep and doesn't sound too clear at the top either... provides mellow easy listening.
I have a pair of Shure 535 IEMs and these sound bright.
My X1000M2 sound pretty good, but that's BT.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #5,486 of 12,862
Does that also mean ZX2 beats 1A?

No, it's just a sound signature preference.

On specs and measurements alone, the ZX300 most definitely beats the ZX2, and the 1A over the ZX300 as well. But it's another matter if someone prefers the sound signature of the ZX2 over the ZX300 or the 1A. You have to be able to separate the objective facts with subjective preferences in this hobby.

I keep going back to analogies like the Sennheiser HD800 - objectively I know and cannot despute the HD800 is one of the better measuring flagship headphones out there, but *I* personally never liked the sound of the HD800 and will never buy a pair.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #5,487 of 12,862
No, it's just a sound signature preference.

On specs and measurements alone, the ZX300 most definitely beats the ZX2, and the 1A over the ZX300 as well. But it's another matter if someone prefers the sound signature of the ZX2 over the ZX300 or the 1A. You have to be able to separate the objective facts with subjective preferences in this hobby.

I keep going back to analogies like the Sennheiser HD800 - objectively I know and cannot despute the HD800 is one of the better measuring flagship headphones out there, but *I* personally never liked the sound of the HD800 and will never buy a pair.

I see, and specs aren't everything. I've never heard the ZX2 so I guess ignorance could be bliss in this situation. I'm hoping when I finally receive the 300 it'll be somewhat comparable to the PHA-3.

Same here with the HD800. I had it for about a year but never really gelled with it. I'm much happier with the inferior 650.

Mar 12, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #5,488 of 12,862
I see, and specs aren't everything. I've never heard the ZX2 so I guess ignorance could be bliss in this situation. I'm hoping when I finally receive the 300 it'll be somewhat comparable to the PHA-3.

Same here with the HD800. I had it for about a year but never really gelled with it. I'm much happier with the inferior 650.
I had the ZX2 and didn't do much for me. Apart from built-in streaming support I much prefered the ZX300 in every way including sound quality/signature.

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #5,489 of 12,862

I owned the ZX2 before and upgraded (you read that right) to the ZX300, which sounds better in every way, especially over balanced. I don't regret one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back