Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 2, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,326 of 12,862
Well, that's a little cheap from Sony, don't you think? Other DAP manufacturers routinely include screen protectors in the package - FiiO, iBasso, and even Astell & Kern are some of the more notable names.

The quality of the AK screen protectors are terrible though, it's no better than just plastic waste.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #2,327 of 12,862
My HD660S arrived today and straight out the box they are the lightest, most comfortable and best sounding headphones I've tried. I'm not normally into headphones, preferring IEM's but considering no burn-in time, these sound better than the AT M50 I had briefly, the B&W P7W and I also tried the HD800 but found that not to my taste. I still think my SE846's sound better but then I suppose they should at double the price new. I actually think I will be keeping these.

Now the decision on the ZX300. I've decided to return as I realise just how much I need Tidal streaming compared to my own tracks on SD card. I can hook it up to a phone as I've shown in this thread but not ideal and much less portable/light/small compared to using my Z5C/DFR combination (photo below).

The lack of search facility was also a surprise to me not having used Walkman OS before. As I've said earlier, the DFR also sounds better than the ZX300 by SE and is not far off the Balanced connection either (accepting ZX300 can improve further with burn-in). Sony also got back to me and nothing definite on enabling MQA as DAC from Tidal which my DFR already does with Tidal PC.

The final thing that has made me realise its not for me, I don't think that 150Ohm is particularly high for headphones but the ZX300 can hardly drive the HD660S with authority and even at Max volume/High Gain its not too loud to listen to. It can cope but only just. I'd say your looking at 100/120 balanced with High Gain for many tracks. The Dragonfly Red by comparison easily drives the HD660S loud at 3/4 max on phone and when DFR connected to a PC playing Tidal MQA only 30/100 .

If Sony develop a player with the size/style/battery life of the ZX300 with Tidal/Spotify streaming support I'd be interested again, It does sound great over balanced with my SE846's
... I’m still giving the hd660s a chance, but it’s true, the zx300 isn’t powerful enough for it (especially for DSD playback)... I agree with you about the Tidal streams it’s a pain... but to be fair I knew that before I purchased the zx300. Maybe the Onkyo DP-X1 is the answer for Tidal?… was actually hoping Onkyo would have released a successor to it... fix the sound up a bit, design etc.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #2,328 of 12,862
The quality of the AK screen protectors are terrible though, it's no better than just plastic waste.
I can't say I disagree. The screen protectors for my AK DAPs normally come with a variety of scratches out of the box, so those weren't very nice experiences.

Still, some points for including a few in the first place.

Sony has never including screen protector with any DAP, and all they sell are PET protectors, apart from the ZX2 which had one and sells for over 10000 yen which was a sapphire glass protector, it was discontinued after awhile, didn't get a chance to buy it. Anyway, for the ZX300 you need to get a matt protector whether it's glass or PET, a gloss one doesn't look good.
I agree. The matte screen adds a touch of class to its overall appearance - a glossy screen would take some of that shimmer away.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #2,329 of 12,862
... I’m still giving the hd660s a chance, but it’s true, the zx300 isn’t powerful enough for it (especially for DSD playback)... I agree with you about the Tidal streams it’s a pain... but to be fair I knew that before I purchased the zx300. Maybe the Onkyo DP-X1 is the answer for Tidal?… was actually hoping Onkyo would have released a successor to it... fix the sound up a bit, design etc.

I'm already happy with my Z5C/DFR combo but as many, always looking to try for better SQ/usability.

I'm very happy with the HD660S

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,330 of 12,862
I'm already happy with my Z5C/DFR combo but as many, always looking to try for better SQ/usability.

I'm very happy with the HD660S
Problem for me is I purchased the zx300 so I could play native DSD portable. Then not too happy with DSD to PCM (sound-wise) I went for the HD660s - which sound slightly weak on the zx300 (high gain) but quite decent on my amp... means I have a 1200 Euro portable combination that is just ... well, ok! But probably not going to return either... :wink:

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,331 of 12,862
DSD outputs through the balanced side, SE will only output PCM.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,333 of 12,862
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on paper the balanced output is SUPPOSED to be 4 times stronger than the SE output. 50mw x 200mw @ 16 ohms. Not that it would be enough to power the hd660s to optimal power, but it seems on pure volume the balanced isn't much louder. I used DF red for a bit but it didn't get very loud on my galaxy edge- I guess there was a sofware issue with android- sounded really clear and detailed but not very loud. I sent it back and got mojo and so far thats the only thing that powered my senn hd600. Any dap ive had just didn't do them justice. Everything else I have is pretty easy to power.

I should prorbably sell my hd 600 since I have no amp to power them properly, I hate stacking too so.... lol.

Having said all that Sonys have always had pretty weak outputs for their daps. This one is the most powerful one ive used and you still get decent battery life.

On a side note, why do the se486 never go on sale?I don't want to pay 1000 for iems, but I really want a pair. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,334 of 12,862
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on paper the balanced output is SUPPOSED to be 4 times stronger than the SE output. 50mw x 200mw @ 16 ohms. Not that it would be enough to power the hd660s to optimal power, but it seems on pure volume the balanced isn't much louder. I used DF red for a bit but it didn't get very loud on my galaxy edge- I guess there was a sofware issue with android- sounded really clear and detailed but not very loud. I sent it back and got mojo and so far thats the only thing that powered my senn hd600. Any dap ive had just didn't do them justice. Everything else I have is pretty easy to power.

I should prorbably sell my hd 600 since I have no amp to power them properly, I hate stacking too so.... lol.

Having said all that Sonys have always had pretty weak outputs for their daps. This one is the most powerful one ive used and you still get decent battery life.

On a side note, why do the se486 never go on sale?I don't want to pay 1000 for iems, but I really want a pair. :frowning2:

You needed to use the UAPP App. All music through it both stored on the phone itself & Tidal streaming would blow you're head-off (maybe not with 300 Ohm HD600). Even with the HD660S I couldn't play them at max! If you set the volume high in UAPP then when you come out of the app all other Android audio then comes out loud for Spotify etc. (but still 192kHz upscaling outside of UAPP).

I found balanced with same ear/headphones to be ~ 10 volume steps lower than SE for same loudness. Not a massive difference really.

The S846's were originally over £1,000 but now around £850 from authorised retailers. I got mine 2nd hand off the forums originally bought in US for $1,000. Totally as new & after exchange rate cost me £460 shipped. Best value audio I've ever bought and would never part with mine. 2nd best value was Dragonfly Red which I got for £147 new.

Never heard the HD600/650 but these HD660S are seriously good via DFR listening to Tidal Masters on PC, especially with the DFR being MQA capable.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,337 of 12,862
You needed to use the UAPP App. All music through it both stored on the phone itself & Tidal streaming would blow you're head-off (maybe not with 300 Ohm HD600). Even with the HD660S I couldn't play them at max! If you set the volume high in UAPP then when you come out of the app all other Android audio then comes out loud for Spotify etc. (but still 192kHz upscaling outside of UAPP).

I found balanced with same ear/headphones to be ~ 10 volume steps lower than SE for same loudness. Not a massive difference really.

The S846's were originally over £1,000 but now around £850 from authorised retailers. I got mine 2nd hand off the forums originally bought in US for $1,000. Totally as new & after exchange rate cost me £460 shipped. Best value audio I've ever bought and would never part with mine. 2nd best value was Dragonfly Red which I got for £147 new.

Never heard the HD600/650 but these HD660S are seriously good via DFR listening to Tidal Masters on PC, especially with the DFR being MQA capable.

Senns are nice but the high end ones are hard to drive. my problem is a lot of headphones and iems hurt my ears after a while. I like the mdr 1a because its so light and comfy. ive tried shures before and they don't hurt to much I just need to look for a sale or a price drop. Disappointing the 300 wont drive the 660s good. I have to research balanced headphones and iems. I definitly want to try balanced.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,339 of 12,862
Senns are nice but the high end ones are hard to drive. my problem is a lot of headphones and iems hurt my ears after a while. I like the mdr 1a because its so light and comfy. ive tried shures before and they don't hurt to much I just need to look for a sale or a price drop. Disappointing the 300 wont drive the 660s good. I have to research balanced headphones and iems. I definitly want to try balanced.

Over Balanced its actually OK, but not a lot of headroom especially with DSD's as I find they play lower volume for some reason. With some quieter Classical I had to set at nearly Max to have volume I wanted. I'd prefer a bit more headroom. Can't see how the ZX300 could power HD600's if they are 300 Ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back