Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 19, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,456 of 12,862
There is two version of the cable, the normal one as to what Bepli got and the kiber kable version, both have the same MMCX connector, just different cables.

MUC-M12SB1 Kimber Kable

MUC-A12NB1 normal version

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,457 of 12,862
So touch to pair bluetooth devices rather than having to set one for search? Purely used for quick connection of Bluetooth devices then ?

*edit* nevermind I think you're right it's only for quick initial pairing.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,458 of 12,862
My cost so far:

• ZX300 from Amazon UK £473 (maybe a 6 week wait to get)
  • Genuine Sony Leather case from Amazon Japan £59 (maybe a 5 week wait to get) (or just 10% of normal ZX300 UK Amazon price which I think is OK)
  • 2nd hand Sony MUC-A12SB1 XBA 4.4mm balanced Sony Kimber cable with mmcx off the forums £118 (likely arrive within 1 week). For use with my SE846's
  • 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter to try my existing Fiio balanced cable £6 (likely arrive within two week)
  • Sony-WM-PORT-To-Micro-USB-Adapter-WMP-NWM10 £10 (first bit to arrive, today). Hopefully can use this to connect ZX300 to my old Sony Z5 compact for Tidal streaming via UAPP
So £666 (number of the beast!!) which I'm well pleased with seeing as ZX300 alone now back at £600 on Amazon UK. I'm not bothering with a screen protector seeing as I'm having the flip case plus I already have a 128GB microSD I will be using initially.

My only questions now are:

• Has anyone seen confirmation that ZX300 works OK as external DAC to Android & iPhone with correct cables (I could use either to stream Tidal from). Assume no issue direct to a PC but surely must have a software driver to support high bitrate & DSD
  • Would like to try some Wireless headphones via LDAC or AptxHD. The ones I'm seeing as recommendations are Sony X1000M2 or B&W PX and from a sound quality perspective most seem to suggest the B&W PX is better. I don't really need ANC so any better recommendation without ANC to use LDAC or AptxHD and sound nearly as good or better than my Shure SE846's.
  • What remote to use for the ZX300.
I'd assume if ZX300 does work linked to a smartphone then for Tidal streaming I'd need to change track on the phone but volume on the ZX300

You check the Qualcomm web site on which headphones support Aptx HD. I think only Sony headphones are LDAC compatible.

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,460 of 12,862
If my beautiful China ZX300 has that stupid back tag I will smash it with a ball and peen hammer. Then I will sue sony china for misrepresentation and pain and suffering from the physical uglyness of the tag to my retinas and the mental anguish said uglyness will shirley cause. I will become rich and powerful beyond measure.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,461 of 12,862
If my beautiful China ZX300 has that stupid back tag I will smash it with a ball and peen hammer. Then I will sue sony china for misrepresentation and pain and suffering from the physical uglyness of the tag to my retinas and the mental anguish said uglyness will shirley cause. I will become rich and powerful beyond measure.
It's the Hong Kong ZX300 you bought from AJ, no? Many people are confused about this, but Hong Kong is actually fairly different from China. Its culture is heavily influenced by British culture-being an ex-colony- and regarding politics it has a special administrative statute. Although China gets increasingly aggressive in controlling Hong Kong.
That's why I was eager to order from AJ too. If it were mainland China based, I porbably wouldn't have taken the chance.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,462 of 12,862
It's the Hong Kong ZX300 you bought from AJ, no? Many people are confused about this, but Hong Kong is actually fairly different from China. Its culture is heavily influenced by British culture-being an ex-colony- and regarding politics it has a special administrative statute. Although China gets increasingly aggressive in controlling Hong Kong.
That's why I was eager to order from AJ too. If it were mainland China based, I porbably wouldn't have taken the chance.

Oh yes, sorry, I meant to say if my Beautiful Hong Kong zx300 has that horrendous back plate I will smash it to pieces with my ball and peen hammer, yada yada yada :) Thanks for correcting me :)

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,463 of 12,862
Just realised my wife's Sony Z4 tablet has LDAC. Even with an average DAC, a high res file (192 kHz/ 24 bit) played using a decent app sounds amazing with my WH1000X M2s. Can't wait to hear the music on the ZX300 over LDAC.

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,464 of 12,862
Oh yes, sorry, I meant to say if my Beautiful Hong Kong zx300 has that horrendous back plate I will smash it to pieces with my ball and peen hammer, yada yada yada :) Thanks for correcting me :)

I'm honestly already over the back plate. I suspect it'll have one and I'll be okay with it. Mostly because only the Japanese version doesn't have it: it's like if (nearly) all of them have it, I don't feel like mine'll be lacking.
If it doesn't have it, it willl be a nice little extra that I wasn't counting on anymore:relieved:

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,465 of 12,862
Just realised my wife's Sony Z4 tablet has LDAC. Even with an average DAC, a high res file (192 kHz/ 24 bit) played using a decent app sounds amazing with my WH1000X M2s. Can't wait to hear the music on the ZX300 over LDAC.

Except it will sound no different using ZX300!
With Bluetooth HPs, the DAC you’re using is actually in the HP ie, your WH1000X M2s.

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,466 of 12,862
I'm honestly already over the back plate. I suspect it'll have one and I'll be okay with it. Mostly because only the Japanese version doesn't have it: it's like if (nearly) all of them have it, I don't feel like mine'll be lacking.
If it doesn't have it, it willl be a nice little extra that I wasn't counting on anymore:relieved:

The power of positive thinking :)

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,467 of 12,862
ZX300 is so freaking portable and for portable usage. My mate got the Japan ZX-300 model and I have had it for 3 days. I really wished I knew it was coming out and I would have waited on my WM1A purchase.

Now here is what I will foresee, ZX-300 will be the most popular Walkman Sony has sold, next year they will most likely realise how popular ZX-300 size is and most likely release a ZX-300 copper edition. That would be awesome.

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #1,468 of 12,862
ZX300 is so freaking portable and for portable usage. My mate got the Japan ZX-300 model and I have had it for 3 days. I really wished I knew it was coming out and I would have waited on my WM1A purchase.

Now here is what I will foresee, ZX-300 will be the most popular Walkman Sony has sold, next year they will most likely realise how popular ZX-300 size is and most likely release a ZX-300 copper edition. That would be awesome.

please try connectivity with smartphones! thanks in advance

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,470 of 12,862
Except it will sound no different using ZX300!
With Bluetooth HPs, the DAC you’re using is actually in the HP ie, your WH1000X M2s.

Actually if you think about it it probably can sound different.

The chain is supposedly like this: File > DAP audio decoding > Bluetooth audio re-compression (LDAC) > BT transmission > Headphone DAC decoding. There's 2~3 places where the quality of the DAP can make a difference....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back