SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 25, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #14,671 of 14,755
Good afternoon everyone. Suddenly I was seized with curiosity. The Sony NW-ZX2 player suddenly became interesting. Of course, I understand that it is already quite outdated, but still, against the background of more modern players in the category of 800-1000 bucks, can it somehow compete?

If you're ok with local file playback, I think it's a fine device. I have mostly FLAC files in CD quality and higher. Also have some DSD files that decode well albeit not in 'native' fashion.

Playback sounds analog to me regardless of format. Wonderful sounding device. My battery (knock on wood) is holding up well and its life has always been a strong point.

My quibbles are music scanning (upon startup or after adding files), local search capabilities, and the lack of software updates.

I feed it directly to my Oppo PM-3 via a Silver Dragon cable that's wired to take advantage of the NW-ZX2's isolated grounds for each channel and the balanced internal wiring of the headphone itself. Think of it as pseudo balanced.

Sounds great regardless.

As mentioned above, the device was the flagship when it launched so it's a top notch build.

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #14,672 of 14,755
If you're ok with local file playback, I think it's a fine device. I have mostly FLAC files in CD quality and higher. Also have some DSD files that decode well albeit not in 'native' fashion.

Playback sounds analog to me regardless of format. Wonderful sounding device. My battery (knock on wood) is holding up well and its life has always been a strong point.

My quibbles are music scanning (upon startup or after adding files), local search capabilities, and the lack of software updates.

I feed it directly to my Oppo PM-3 via a Silver Dragon cable that's wired to take advantage of the NW-ZX2's isolated grounds for each channel and the balanced internal wiring of the headphone itself. Think of it as pseudo balanced.

Sounds great regardless.

As mentioned above, the device was the flagship when it launched so it's a top notch build.
I agree with both prior replies. Although I also own a WM1A, the ZX2 still gets a fair amount of use as a travel device. It's just completely useless if you want to stream.
I also find it kind of analog sounding and I like that. Never got to try the separate ground TTRS connection, though. It wasn't easy to come by the right plug/cable. Depending on price and needs, it may still be an interesting purchase.

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #14,673 of 14,755
Technically the newest Sony daps are still using the same S-Master dac implemented in the Sony ZX2. And the Sony ZX2 had it implemented with ToTL-priced expensive parts & caps.

So, while it's android is outdated. The quality of the playback is still relevant to today. Just only expect enough power output for iems.
Agree, but it also works very well with easy to drive HPs like Grado's:L3000: (it is slow and I only use it for my old library on an SD card of 400 gb)

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #14,674 of 14,755
IMG20220709100024.jpg

Well, I got this player. Nice device. The sound pleases. Even autonomy is good (regardless of age). By the way, is there any custom firmware for this model?

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #14,676 of 14,755
The current solution is to find the light-version of apps. Spotify-Lite.

Things like that for the smart app.

Though something like a lite barebone custom os would be so nice to have.

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #14,677 of 14,755
The current solution is to find the light-version of apps. Spotify-Lite.

Things like that for the smart app.

Though something like a lite barebone custom os would be so nice to have.
As far as I know, there is no custom firmware available for Android-based Sony DAP.

As to "lite" versions of streaming apps, I have tried Spotify Lite, but it doesn't really work. These days, I use ZX2 for local files only and I enjoy it this way.

Jul 16, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #14,678 of 14,755
As far as I know, there is no custom firmware available for Android-based Sony DAP.

As to "lite" versions of streaming apps, I have tried Spotify Lite, but it doesn't really work. These days, I use ZX2 for local files only and I enjoy it this way.
+1 - I have given up on apps, but the ZX2 is still my favourite for holiday. The battery is fine and it has now a 400 Gb micro SD with lots of music.... :dt880smile:

Jul 16, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #14,679 of 14,755
+1 - I have given up on apps, but the ZX2 is still my favourite for holiday. The battery is fine and it has now a 400 Gb micro SD with lots of music.... :dt880smile:
Yeah, for someone who uses local files and doesn't want to risk some newer, more expensive device when traveling, camping, etc., the ZX2 is a nice option. That is the way I use it these days, and keep my WM1A at home.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #14,681 of 14,755
Been debating selling mine, was primarily a long-haul flight workhorse, but I'm not traveling any more. Every time i listen though, makes be reconsider.
Yeah, it's a faithful companion with great SQ. Mine still gets use, same as yours used to, as I'm still traveling a lot.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #14,682 of 14,755
Yeah, it's a faithful companion with great SQ. Mine still gets use, same as yours used to, as I'm still traveling a lot.
What are you paired with? I paired mine with the Noble K10's and a double helix 8 braid cable - it's hard to beat. Sat for hours in 2019 in a shop in HK doing side by sides, and couldn't find anything that was pronounced enough to warrant an upgrade. Remarkable piece of kit, but i'm sure there's better now.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #14,683 of 14,755
What are you paired with? I paired mine with the Noble K10's and a double helix 8 braid cable - it's hard to beat. Sat for hours in 2019 in a shop in HK doing side by sides, and couldn't find anything that was pronounced enough to warrant an upgrade. Remarkable piece of kit, but i'm sure there's better now.
I recently “discovered” that is works very nicely with my TWS Sony XM4. Never tried the ldac codec before and it is excellent with the zx2. Nowadays I mostly use it with my old collection. It is kind of nice and not stressful. No temptation to zap around as on streaming. I play stuff randomly and once in while: wow completely forgot that song. And play the album. So the zx2 is my library of older music that I can listen to without travelling😎🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back