SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 21, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #12,226 of 14,755
Thank you very much. Greatly appreciate it. Have you had a chance listen with full sized headphone such as HD600?

I think the HD 600 would be a tough load for the ZX2, just going purely by the numbers, but again mate, that depends on the user. Some people here are more than happy at low volume levels, so for them the answer to your question is yes, the ZX2 is fine with full sized headphones. You said you didn't listen loudly so maybe it will be fine. I take it there is no way you can try before you buy? If you are lucky try from a seller that has a good return policy such as Amazon.

I am based in Australia so Amazon is not convenient..

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #12,227 of 14,755
I think the HD 600 would be a tough load for the ZX2, just going purely by the numbers, but again mate, that depends on the user. Some people here are more than happy at low volume levels, so for them the answer to your question is yes, the ZX2 is fine with full sized headphones. You said you didn't listen loudly so maybe it will be fine. I take it there is no way you can try before you buy? If you are lucky try from a seller that has a good return policy such as Amazon.

The volume caped EU version would probably struggle with HD600 (works fine with my Signature Pro though) but a Japan unit might manage them.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #12,228 of 14,755
The volume caped EU version would probably struggle with HD600 (works fine with my Signature Pro though) but a Japan unit might manage them.

Could very well be. I'm so pissed at Sony for putting in such a low power amp. Had the ZX2 had even 100mW I would have bought it in a heart-beat. Yes, I know people just love to go on about the endless battery life, and I will agree that must be awesome and it is important, but in no way is it a fair trade for more power (IMO). I'll bet all you ZX2 fans care most about the sound so if the battery only lasted 10 hours, but gave you that same sweet signature you would still buy it. That is my understanding, the amp can't have more grunt power if the battery life is to be kept so high. For me, I would happily charge every day if I could drive a greater variety of headphones well.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #12,229 of 14,755
Could very well be. I'm so pissed at Sony for putting in such a low power amp. Had the ZX2 had even 100mW I would have bought it in a heart-beat. Yes, I know people just love to go on about the endless battery life, and I will agree that must be awesome and it is important, but in no way is it a fair trade for more power (IMO). I'll bet all you ZX2 fans care most about the sound so if the battery only lasted 10 hours, but gave you that same sweet signature you would still buy it. That is my understanding, the amp can't have more grunt power if the battery life is to be kept so high. For me, I would happily charge every day if I could drive a greater variety of headphones well.

For me the play time per charge is a major draw, I was so fed up with having to charge every 2 days with my previous daps and since I almost exclusively use it with JH13 the power is more than plenty even with an EU unit.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #12,230 of 14,755
Yeah I rather the ZX2 keeps its god-like battery life (especially in airplane mode) than sounding a bit better with bigger phones.  Even the most power hungry IEM's I have gets only close to 75% of the volume slider.

Once you utilize ZX2's TRRS balanced out, I seriously cannot find another DAP in the market that's even close to ZX2 overall.  The build quality, the storage, the SQ, the battery, the features, etc.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #12,231 of 14,755
Yeah I rather the ZX2 keeps its god-like battery life (especially in airplane mode) than sounding a bit better with bigger phones.  Even the most power hungry IEM's I have gets only close to 75% of the volume slider.

Once you utilize ZX2's TRRS balanced out, I seriously cannot find another DAP in the market that's even close to ZX2 overall.  The build quality, the storage, the SQ, the battery, the features, etc.

Great to know. It seems like it ticks all the box for me. I saw review that the OS is outdated one comparing with other newer Android based DAPs. Does Android OS is upgradable or need to stick to Android 4.2 until the unit last?

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #12,232 of 14,755
Great to know. It seems like it ticks all the box for me. I saw review that the OS is outdated one comparing with other newer Android based DAPs. Does Android OS is upgradable or need to stick to Android 4.2 until the unit last?
No-one has managed to root the ZX2, and - even if they did, you'd probably lose the all so important keys (looking at the Sony Smartphones as a like for like comparison) which would then break audio playback potential...

Guess that isn't quite the news you want, but - there it is.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #12,233 of 14,755
  Well, I have heard some people comment on synergy, but in terms of power output, don't think you'd have problems running just about any IEM/CIEM with these. Might want go for an amp if it changes the sound signature (tube amps, for example), otherwise you should be fine.

Any thoughts on what you might want to get?

Not really.  I haven't really decided on something noise isolating, open, or anything else yet.  I do know I need a pair of IEMs for running/exercise but those can be different.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #12,234 of 14,755
  The EX800s were an impulse buy while I was in Tokyo earlier this month. I'd heard how they're not too far off the EX1000, and seem to be generally well regarded, thought they'd make a great daily driver in situations I don't want to take my K10s with me. So far, they've been a revelation, fantastic value for their asking price. I might still get the silver cable when I'm back in Tokyo, just for fun.

Loved the IE800s when I tried them, but the non-detachable cable and ceramic housing made me hesitate. Great sound for sure, but wasn't sure how durable it'd be. Since moving to customs, I can't see myself spending that sort of cash for universal fits,though, just enjoy the isolation of CIEMs much more.

It's ironic.

I used to have the Sony ZX1. And I used the Shure SE115 for on-the-go, and the MDR-7550 at home. That combination worked out fine. Until I got the ZX2.

It was able to render so much more detail and clarity in my music, that suddenly, the SE115s sounded really flat and, well, pathetic compared to the 7550s. So I began looking for a new set of IEMs that could replace the SE115s—something that was durable and had higher quality sound. I eventually settled on the IE800s as I was curious to see what TOTL dynamic driver universal IEMs could do.

And yeah...they ended up making the 7550 sound veiled and muffled.

That being said, I think that's really due to "brain burn-in". Comparing the two back to back reveals that nature. But still, in a vacuum, the 7550/EX800ST really are a great value for what you get. Even though I rarely use them these days, I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #12,235 of 14,755
No-one has managed to root the ZX2, and - even if they did, you'd probably lose the all so important keys (looking at the Sony Smartphones as a like for like comparison) which would then break audio playback potential...

Guess that isn't quite the news you want, but - there it is.

What keys are broken in their phones from root alone? All root access does is allow you to grant root privileges to applications. Some methods might break things, but if they do, then I would say that the method is itself broken. Just curious as to what exactly the issue is with Sony phones once they're rooted. 

On a side note, the ZX1 and ZX2 probably won't ever see root at this point. They're on old versions of Android, and probably aren't in the hands of the guys that find exploits. If none of the generic root methods work, I don't see it ever happening. 

I do think that it's too bad that the ZX1/2 aren't going to ever get newer versions of Android. The biggest problem IMO is that the ZX2 is on API level 17, they're about to release 24. New streaming apps aren't going to be supporting it (Tidal, Play Music, Deezer, and Spotify all support it as of today - but Apple Music doesn't) and existing apps will probably drop support for the older version of Android over time. That said, most DAP's don't support streaming apps at all, so ZX1/2 owners are still spoiled. :) Hopefully the streaming apps not named Apple Music maintain support for a while. 

I still want to upgrade to a ZX2. After I finish playing with my AK300, I might just trade it for one.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #12,236 of 14,755

What keys are broken in their phones from root alone? All root access does is allow you to grant root privileges to applications. Some methods might break things, but if they do, then I would say that the method is itself broken. Just curious as to what exactly the issue is with Sony phones once they're rooted. 

On a side note, the ZX1 and ZX2 probably won't ever see root at this point. They're on old versions of Android, and probably aren't in the hands of the guys that find exploits. If none of the generic root methods work, I don't see it ever happening. 

I do think that it's too bad that the ZX1/2 aren't going to ever get newer versions of Android. The biggest problem IMO is that the ZX2 is on API level 17, they're about to release 24. New streaming apps aren't going to be supporting it (Tidal, Play Music, Deezer, and Spotify all support it as of today - but Apple Music doesn't) and existing apps will probably drop support for the older version of Android over time. That said, most DAP's don't support streaming apps at all, so ZX1/2 owners are still spoiled. :) Hopefully the streaming apps not named Apple Music maintain support for a while. 

I still want to upgrade to a ZX2. After I finish playing with my AK300, I might just trade it for one.

Why not just go for Ak380 copper after AK300? Apparently it is the best sounding dap along with LPG,it is better than AK380 stock from what i read and only costs $4000.Good post btw :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #12,238 of 14,755
It is clear that the ZX2 is primarily for IEM users, which again, is too limiting for me, and I still feel it wasn't a good move of Sony's to do so. I of course follow this thread closely and most other threads on comparable DAPs and there are many people here like me who have avoided the ZX2 or moved on simply because it couldn't handle many headphones well. It kills me as it sounds like a sound signature to die for, but I am not an IEM person at all. Oh well, I will have to envy those of you who can enjoy the ZX2 and hope that Sony one day puts out a DAP that can actually drive a wider variety of headphones. Lucky for you people who enjoy IEMs.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #12,239 of 14,755
  It is clear that the ZX2 is primarily for IEM users, which again, is too limiting for me, and I still feel it wasn't a good move of Sony's to do so. I of course follow this thread closely and most other threads on comparable DAPs and there are many people here like me who have avoided the ZX2 or moved on simply because it couldn't handle many headphones well. It kills me as it sounds like a sound signature to die for, but I am not an IEM person at all. Oh well, I will have to envy those of you who can enjoy the ZX2 and hope that Sony one day puts out a DAP that can actually drive a wider variety of headphones. Lucky for you people who enjoy IEMs.

I am looking at the pioneer or onkyo DAPs now they seem cheper and more options

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #12,240 of 14,755
  It is clear that the ZX2 is primarily for IEM users, which again, is too limiting for me, and I still feel it wasn't a good move of Sony's to do so. 

Don't think it's clear at all, I certainly use it for IEMs only and they're great, but it seems like there's many here who are fine using it for full-sized cans. As you yourself said earlier, it could be due to volume levels, and also specific synergic with headphones, etc, but I'm not sure I'm convinced either way right now. I for one certainly use it with IEMs only because all my full-sized cans have upgrade cables terminated with a 6.35mm jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back