SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #12,212 of 14,755
I just got my ZX2 in the mail.  What IEMs pair well with this thing without using an external amp?

Don't think any IEM actually needs an external amp, not any I can think of anyway. Other than that it's a question of synergy, I liked my JH Audio Angie with it, and my Noble K10 and Savant as well sounded great, have a Sony MDR-EX800ST I'm trying with it right now.

Might want to look into getting the TRRS termination for your IEMs if it's going to be used exclusively with the ZX2, that's worthwhile, in my opinion. What IEMs do you currently own?

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #12,213 of 14,755
...have a Sony MDR-EX800ST I'm trying with it right now.

I first used the MDR-7550 (which is just the U.S. model name for the EX800ST) with the ZX2. They're certainly a good match. I rarely ever needed to up the volume past about 40%.

But after getting the Sennheiser IE800, I haven't been able to use them much since. Non matter what I do, I can't "unhear" how muffled and veiled they seem when compared to the IE800.

I did consider getting a custom silver cable for them (they use the same type of cable as the EX1000). But spending as much money on a cable as the IEMs themselves just seemed a little silly to me.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #12,214 of 14,755
Don't think any IEM actually needs an external amp, not any I can think of anyway. Other than that it's a question of synergy, I liked my JH Audio Angie with it, and my Noble K10 and Savant as well sounded great, have a Sony MDR-EX800ST I'm trying with it right now.

Might want to look into getting the TRRS termination for your IEMs if it's going to be used exclusively with the ZX2, that's worthwhile, in my opinion. What IEMs do you currently own?

None at all right now.  Or nothing worth mentioning.  This is my first portable setup, I use my Denon D5000s and LCD2's at home.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #12,215 of 14,755
Hello,

First of all, my apology if this has already been asked many times. I am keen to get this DAP mainly because it has great battery life which is critical for me and it also plays streaming music such as Spotify and Tidal. Does this Dap allows to listen streaming music offline mode just like mobile phone does? Thank you.... 

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #12,216 of 14,755
  Hello,

First of all, my apology if this has already been asked many times. I am keen to get this DAP mainly because it has great battery life which is critical for me and it also plays streaming music such as Spotify and Tidal. Does this Dap allows to listen streaming music offline mode just like mobile phone does? Thank you.... 

Ignore, for some reason I thought the ZX2 had an external SD card capability. My bad.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #12,217 of 14,755

Hello,

Ignore, for some reason I thought the ZX2 had an external SD card capability. My bad.

I think that it has SD card slot. Do you have ZX2?

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #12,218 of 14,755
I first used the MDR-7550 (which is just the U.S. model name for the EX800ST) with the ZX2. They're certainly a good match. I rarely ever needed to up the volume past about 40%.

But after getting the Sennheiser IE800, I haven't been able to use them much since. Non matter what I do, I can't "unhear" how muffled and veiled they seem when compared to the IE800.

I did consider getting a custom silver cable for them (they use the same type of cable as the EX1000). But spending as much money on a cable as the IEMs themselves just seemed a little silly to me.

The EX800s were an impulse buy while I was in Tokyo earlier this month. I'd heard how they're not too far off the EX1000, and seem to be generally well regarded, thought they'd make a great daily driver in situations I don't want to take my K10s with me. So far, they've been a revelation, fantastic value for their asking price. I might still get the silver cable when I'm back in Tokyo, just for fun.

Loved the IE800s when I tried them, but the non-detachable cable and ceramic housing made me hesitate. Great sound for sure, but wasn't sure how durable it'd be. Since moving to customs, I can't see myself spending that sort of cash for universal fits,though, just enjoy the isolation of CIEMs much more.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #12,219 of 14,755

None at all right now.  Or nothing worth mentioning.  This is my first portable setup, I use my Denon D5000s and LCD2's at home.

Well, I have heard some people comment on synergy, but in terms of power output, don't think you'd have problems running just about any IEM/CIEM with these. Might want go for an amp if it changes the sound signature (tube amps, for example), otherwise you should be fine.

Any thoughts on what you might want to get?

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #12,220 of 14,755

Yes, I corrected myself. No, I don't have the ZX2, but I have been following this thread for quite some time. Almost bought the ZX2 a few times, like literally in the cart just needing to click submit, but I needed more power so sadly I never did. Yes, in general I don't comment about something I don't own, but this was a question I remember reading about several times in the thread.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #12,221 of 14,755

Yes, I corrected myself. No, I don't have the ZX2, but I have been following this thread for quite some time. Almost bought the ZX2 a few times, like literally in the cart just needing to click submit, but I needed more power so sadly I never did. Yes, in general I don't comment about something I don't own, but this was a question I remember reading about several times in the thread.

Thanks. I am on fence too because I am not sure if this DAP allows Spotify and Tidal offline mode, and if it is powerful enough to drive full sized headphone, too (HD600 for example). I do not listen high volume but 40% volume for EX800st seem that this DAP is for IEM only..

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #12,222 of 14,755
Thanks. I am on fence too because I am not sure if this DAP allows Spotify and Tidal offline mode, and if it is powerful enough to drive full sized headphone, too (HD600 for example). I do not listen high volume but 40% volume for EX800st seem that this DAP is for IEM only..

It will depend how loud you like to play music, for me, there was no way the ZX2 would get me to the volume I need, others feel differently. I think the power issue really would be a problem with older material that was mastered really low so 60s, 70s,80s, even some 90s stuff can be pretty quiet. Some members here even feel the ZX2 drives the TH 900 well, but not a chance for me that would be the case, but maybe you don't like loud playback?

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #12,224 of 14,755

It does allow offline mode.

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciate it. Have you had a chance listen with full sized headphone such as HD600?

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #12,225 of 14,755
Thank you very much. Greatly appreciate it. Have you had a chance listen with full sized headphone such as HD600?

I think the HD 600 would be a tough load for the ZX2, just going purely by the numbers, but again mate, that depends on the user. Some people here are more than happy at low volume levels, so for them the answer to your question is yes, the ZX2 is fine with full sized headphones. You said you didn't listen loudly so maybe it will be fine. I take it there is no way you can try before you buy? If you are lucky try from a seller that has a good return policy such as Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back