SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 15, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #12,182 of 14,755
Just spent a day back with my qp1r after several weeks with the zx2. ABing between them with a variety of cans, and I've gotta say, the qp seems really veiled and less transparent. I'm not sure if this is some kind of brain perception but the Sony seems leagues clearer. The only plus for the Questyle is the volume being potentially a lot higher, but the Sony drives all my portables plenty good. I'd get lynched if I posted this in the QP1 r thread, but this is IMO right now.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #12,183 of 14,755
Just spent a day back with my qp1r after several weeks with the zx2. ABing between them with a variety of cans, and I've gotta say, the qp seems really veiled and less transparent. I'm not sure if this is some kind of brain perception but the Sony seems leagues clearer. The only plus for the Questyle is the volume being potentially a lot higher, but the Sony drives all my portables plenty good. I'd get lynched if I posted this in the QP1 r thread, but this is IMO right now.

Unless you volume match this whole discussion is kind of moot especially at this level of daps imo.You can discern the detail,differences,the soundstage difference,imaging,bass quantity but the clarity is a bit more tricky to get right.My old f805 is more clear than ZX2 if i up the volume a couple of steps and so is the Cayin N6 and the QP1R is a step above,so unless the unit has a problem i doubt it is veiled vs ZX2 imo. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #12,184 of 14,755
Unless you volume match this whole discussion is kind of moot especially at this level of daps imo.You can discern the detail,differences,the soundstage difference,imaging,bass quantity but the clarity is a bit more tricky to get right.My old f805 is more clear than ZX2 if i up the volume a couple of steps and so is the Cayin N6 and the QP1R is a step above,so unless the unit has a problem i doubt it is veiled vs ZX2 imo. 

You're right, I didn't volume match, but I listened loudly on both units, louder, if anything, on the qp1r, so go figure. Just the ravings and opinion of a very non-scientist.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #12,185 of 14,755
Ugh. You people...You'll be the (monetary) death of me!
tongue_smile.gif

So, I haven't had a proper set of full sized cans in, well, years. So, I started looking around for something that was well reviewed—good sonic characteristics, good comfort, easy to drive and relatively cheap. As well as something that could use a custom cable, so I could finally take advantage of the TRRS connection in the ZX2 and HA-2.

Finally settled on the Oppo PM-3 + Blue Dragon cable from Moon Audio. Everything is still burning in. But so far, I'm rather impressed.

After using the IE800, pretty much all of my existing IEMs and headphones sounded muffled and veiled to me. So I was a little worried about the same thing happening with the PM3s. Despite not being burned in yet, I've been surprised that that has not been the case. It's surprisingly smooth in the upper end without sounding muffled.

And with the TRRS cable, I've found that the volume setting on the ZX2 needs to be set right around the same level as my IE800s in order to obtain a similar listening level—around 50-60% (that's with the audio enhancement program running). Not too shabby for a set of full-sized cans.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #12,186 of 14,755
  Ugh. You people...You'll be the (monetary) death of me!
tongue_smile.gif

So, I haven't had a proper set of full sized cans in, well, years. So, I started looking around for something that was well reviewed—good sonic characteristics, good comfort, easy to drive and relatively cheap. As well as something that could use a custom cable, so I could finally take advantage of the TRRS connection in the ZX2 and HA-2.

Finally settled on the Oppo PM-3 + Blue Dragon cable from Moon Audio. Everything is still burning in. But so far, I'm rather impressed.

After using the IE800, pretty much all of my existing IEMs and headphones sounded muffled and veiled to me. So I was a little worried about the same thing happening with the PM3s. Despite not being burned in yet, I've been surprised that that has not been the case. It's surprisingly smooth in the upper end without sounding muffled.

And with the TRRS cable, I've found that the volume setting on the ZX2 needs to be set right around the same level as my IE800s in order to obtain a similar listening level—around 50-60% (that's with the audio enhancement program running). Not too shabby for a set of full-sized cans.

Those are easy to drive cans, but glad to hear you like them. I'm next on the list of one of their traveling trial pairs. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #12,187 of 14,755

ZX3...rumors? Sightings? Top secret info?

nothing so far. hope any news will come up.

i am also on this, My zx100 is on warranty trip to accessoryJack, so been using my Xperia M2, really like sony Music app UI, bigger album art and bigger fonts

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #12,189 of 14,755
For using the ZX2 with a portable amp, do you guys prefer using the headphone out or the Walkman line out?

That would depend on the amp since the line out is really low

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #12,192 of 14,755
aune b1 is the most powerful one you can get (i could not find anything more powerful then that. and pha3 will suck a lot compared to it. you can use 600ohm headphones with it).

depends on what do you need from amp.

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #12,194 of 14,755
Your thoughts please! My volume through IEM has been just above the 'DE' letters of the word Video (shown when you move the volume with screen on). I had to reset my ZX2  and when it came back on it sounds different and now the volume has to be like 6 clicks higher to get the same sort of volume. Errr, just simply What???? Any ideas? Doesn't make sense.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #12,195 of 14,755

Thats 
The best amp for Zx2 would be Pha-3 in balanced connection
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats ok for you Whitigir! You can get the 'real' version that has a battery in it! pmsl.
Us in the UK are not trusted with a battery *** and can only get the PHA-3AC version. I emailed Amazon moaning about this as they are selling the AC version but it is listed as the proper one. Cheeky folks they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back