SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 21, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #7,893 of 14,755
Sony make very good electronics, their quality is up there with the best I have seen, so if you look after the battery you should get a long life from it. (Maybe 4 to 5 years) saying this yes it could fail, and Sony need to have replacement cells at hand.
The problem will be there will be so few that fail, the demand should be low for the first few years.
But I think in the next few years people who own the zx2 will be knocking on Sony's door for battery replacements, and Sony better have the cells ready (their after sales service needs to back their products).

I would like to purchase one soon and shelf it just in case, especially when my warranty is gone.

Since discovering that Tidal through the ZX2 sounds only marginally better than through my smartphone, I keep it offline at all times. I've had my ZX2 about a month and have charged it twice. That amounts to 24 charges per year. I'm sure it will be different for others, but I see no reason why my battery shouldn't hold up for a long, long time.

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #7,894 of 14,755
Since discovering that Tidal through the ZX2 sounds only marginally better than through my smartphone, I keep it offline at all times. I've had my ZX2 about a month and have charged it twice. That amounts to 24 charges per year. I'm sure it will be different for others, but I see no reason why my battery shouldn't hold up for a long, long time.

if i remember correct , you have the JPN version - which iems do you use and at what volume ? i will assume you hear post-90s cds when the recording volume was quite high

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #7,895 of 14,755
if i remember correct , you have the JPN version - which iems do you use and at what volume ? i will assume you hear post-90s cds when the recording volume was quite high

I said the other day Savant was the only IEM I've used that caused me to turn the volume up past half way. I was using the wrong tips.

I use the Savant, ACS Encore and occasionally my Fidelio X2. For the most part I listen to IEMs at just over quarter volume, the Fidelio at just over half volume.

Even with 20% less scope on the volume dial I wouldn't envisage problems with most IEMs - unless we're talking about the notoriously difficult-to-drive ie800

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #7,896 of 14,755
I said the other day Savant was the only IEM I've used that caused me to turn the volume up past half way. I was using the wrong tips.

I use the Savant, ACS Encore and occasionally my Fidelio X2. For the most part I listen to IEMs at just over quarter volume, the Fidelio at just over half volume.

Even with 20% less scope on the volume dial I wouldn't envisage problems with most IEMs - unless we're talking about the notoriously difficult-to-drive ie800

yeah, i guess only ie800 seems to be the one ****ed from the volume cap thing

i listen to my K3003/ck10/re272 around 50-60% in my EU ZX2 and most of my albums are vinyl rips which tend to be recorded way lower than cds ( and i am talking about wll mastered pre-90s cds , not the post-00s ****ty loudness wars cds) so i need more volume in general

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #7,897 of 14,755

Yes should hold up for years, but heat and cold can play a part in the batteries life loss plus everyone's usage will vary.
I seem to charge mine every week, but don't let the battery go much past 25% and try to unplug the charge at 90%.
But the battery life on this dap is the best in it's class by a long shot.
Has any of the rest of the DAP makers come close to this runtime?

Maybe in another 10 to 20years.

If you only charged it 2 times I don't think it's burnt in, unless it was done for you. Give the zx2 250hrs, and she comes to life. It's incredible the differences.

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #7,898 of 14,755
I also should point out, possibly the worst thing you can do to the cell, apart from charging in extreme hot or cold is leave the battery in flat state over any length of time.
This is bad for any lithium cell and the cell could go so low in voltage it won't recover,(the charger can't charge it) and will need replacement.
Best to leave it with some charge available always, and turn it off if being stored away for a length of time.

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #7,900 of 14,755
Yes should hold up for years, but heat and cold can play a part in the batteries life loss plus everyone's usage will vary.
I seem to charge mine every week, but don't let the battery go much past 25% and try to unplug the charge at 90%.
But the battery life on this dap is the best in it's class by a long shot.
Has any of the rest of the DAP makers come close to this runtime?

Maybe in another 10 to 20years.

If you only charged it 2 times I don't think it's burnt in, unless it was done for you. Give the zx2 250hrs, and she comes to life. It's incredible the differences.

I've been recharging to full capacity but haven't let it drop below 20% which is the most important part.

The previous owner told me it had about 100 hours on it. I've probably added another 50 or so. There's every chance that it's not fully burned in, but any further improvement to the sound would be a nice surprise rather than something I'm certain will happen.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #7,902 of 14,755
I also should point out, possibly the worst thing you can do to the cell, apart from charging in extreme hot or cold is leave the battery in flat state over any length of time.
This is bad for any lithium cell and the cell could go so low in voltage it won't recover,(the charger can't charge it) and will need replacement.
Best to leave it with some charge available always, and turn it off if being stored away for a length of time.

I generally follow the guides from Arstechnica:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/ask-ars-the-best-way-to-use-a-lithium-ion-battery-redux/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/

I really like their analogy about not running the battery down past ~20% all the time. It's like jogging. It's good to run daily for exercise. But you wouldn't want to run a marathon every day, as that would be unsustainable and damaging to one's body. The same holds true for discharging a Lithium-Ion battery.

Something that others have mentioned is to not charge up the battery to 100%. That's not entirely the issue. Charging it to 100% and leaving it there can be bad.

On the other end of the spectrum, keeping a Li-ion battery fully charged is not good for it either. This isn't because Li-ion batteries can get "overcharged" (something that people used to worry about in The Olden Days of portable computers), but a Li-ion battery that doesn't get used will suffer from capacity loss, meaning that it won't be able to hold as much charge and power your gadgets for as long. Extremely shallow discharges of only a couple percent are also not enough to keep a Li-ion battery in practice, so if you're going to pull the plug, let the battery run down for a little bit.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #7,903 of 14,755
i have settled on a 80---->20---->80 charge routine , i guess 5-10% more or less is not gonna make a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back