SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 15, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #7,726 of 14,755
  Could I please ask other owners of the ZX2 what amps they use to pair with the device? I am currently using the Sony PHA-3 (battery version) but it is not really ideal for my use and I am thinking about selling it. So I need to find something else which I can use with my Noble iem's and also for full size headphones and I am not bothered about it being portable, so desktop size would be ok. Any comments would be most welcome.

i mainly use the ZX2 for travel purpose.

i have a nice desktop and also bedside rigs...

When i travel and use the ZX2, i will use the Shure SE846, without any amp. Or Larger headphone (grado SR80, SennGrado, B7W p7) with a Aune B1 portable amp
Soundwise, the Aune B1 is awesome. Only problem battery life is kind of short.

From time to time i use the ZX2 as transport for the PS Audio Sprout, with excellent results.

Once again, the ZX2 gives the most pleasure with the 846 and TRRS wiring...

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #7,729 of 14,755
  Could I please ask other owners of the ZX2 what amps they use to pair with the device?

Also use Noble (K10) and find no need for an external amp. In some ways, using anything else kinda 'ruins' the sound for me. Ok, not ruin, yet a change I do not prefer over the inherent personality of the ZX2.

BTW, the 64 Audio (was 1964 Ears) model A12 also work great with the ZX2.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #7,730 of 14,755
Also use Noble (K10) and find no need for an external amp. In some ways, using anything else kinda 'ruins' the sound for me. Ok, not ruin, yet a change I do not prefer over the inherent personality of the ZX2.

Yes! Yes! Steve. It changes an Alter the sound of Zx2. Hence I try not to pair anything with it and only go for easy to drive stuff. Portability is priceless :D

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #7,731 of 14,755
Hi there, I'm only using mine with the Noble Savant and JH Audio Angie, and so far I've not felt like I needed a standalone amp. But I am using a Japanese unit, so maybe the lack of volume capping has something to do with it (from your comment about the PHA-3 I'm also assuming the ZX2 is European model). I've heard positive things about both the Vorzuge Pure II+ and ALO Audio CDM, might consider either if I ever feel the need for an amp.

EDIT: might also be useful if you note what other criteria is important to you, for example balanced output capability, etc

Which one do you like best ? i am torn between these 2 as my next purchase......

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #7,732 of 14,755
Significant enough to be noticeable, yes. Day and night, no. As I've said elsewhere, consider the cost of the upgrade cable, and decide if it's worth it. Personally, I would consider it after the amp (if you plan to get one).

Hmmm, might consider it in the future. I only use IEMs so no need for an amp (I have the Japanese version and am yet to get past half volume).

My thinking too. This player really brought out the best in my N6. Looking forward to hearing it with the Savants.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #7,733 of 14,755
Which one do you like best ? i am torn between these 2 as my next purchase......

To keep it simple, without too many complicated terms, the Savant is an excellently balanced, clean and resolving IEM. There is not much in the way of colorisation/bass boost, etc, but it is simply clean, detailed and not fatiguing.

The JHA Angie offers variable bass, a more "fun", decidedly non-neutral sound that works very well with hip hop and rock, for example.

I find myself using the Angie more these days out of the two, mainly because I use the Angie when I travel, and like something more lively (especially when I turn up the volume). When I have a chance to listen at home, I use the Savant as I upgraded to a TRRS-terminated cable, and you can hear more of what it gives you in this kind of setting. Ultimately I may end up getting rid of the Savant, because it is less used.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #7,734 of 14,755
Hmmm, might consider it in the future. I only use IEMs so no need for an amp (I have the Japanese version and am yet to get past half volume).
My thinking too. This player really brought out the best in my N6. Looking forward to hearing it with the Savants.

I got a Beat Audio cable from Japan, works great though a bit stiff (due to either the thicker cable or the sheathing material) and sounds great too. Personally I found the improvement to be more on the imaging of the sound, rather than an improvement in bass, etc. I got a better sense of space from the instruments on the same track after switching.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #7,735 of 14,755
Mine is now in the post. With a bit of luck it will be waiting for me when I return home Saturday. Will be using it mainly with JH13 and sometimes with Ultrasone Sig Pro so hoping to do without external amp. Have ordered a trrs pigtail from Whiplash.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #7,737 of 14,755
hello guys, i do not mean to interrupt the flow of this thread. but since it is this thread that got me in my current situation, i thought i might tap all your collective wisdom. So, i have purchased the zx2, love it, and for UIEM's i have the K10's, i actually wonder how much better it can get than this? My question however is i want to load an audiobook, the bible to be more specific. i am not at all familiar with the Android operating system, does not want to play well with the files? any wisdom out there would much be appreciated. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #7,738 of 14,755
hello guys, i do not mean to interrupt the flow of this thread. but since it is this thread that got me in my current situation, i thought i might tap all your collective wisdom. So, i have purchased the zx2, love it, and for UIEM's i have the K10's, i actually wonder how much better it can get than this? My question however is i want to load an audiobook, the bible to be more specific. i am not at all familiar with the Android operating system, does not want to play well with the files? any wisdom out there would much be appreciated. 

Audio file format, if you have it under any supported format, it will play out nicely. If it is not, then you can try and convert it using audacity free program. I would simply do a click, drag, then drop it unto the internal memory or additional micro SD.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #7,739 of 14,755
Could I please ask other owners of the ZX2 what amps they use to pair with the device? I am currently using the Sony PHA-3 (battery version) but it is not really ideal for my use and I am thinking about selling it. So I need to find something else which I can use with my Noble iem's and also for full size headphones and I am not bothered about it being portable, so desktop size would be ok. Any comments would be most welcome.
iFi DSD Micro sounds awesome...a lot of people compare it to the Chord Hugo for a fraction of the price.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #7,740 of 14,755

Also the Cosmic Ears CE6Ps are amazing with the ZX2. I would heartily recommend them to anyone looking for new CIEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back