SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #7,441 of 14,755
Can't drive IE800s? At what perceived volume?

Can't help but feel that this is being blown out of proportion a little (with regards to IEMs, hence point noted)...

It is a tough one, having been at CanJam and trying to listen to my Layla's at a "decent" volume on a Hugo TT (Green on the volume) and still being able to hear the person next to me (no word of a lie, over ears, Beyers I think) whilst listening on WHITE (a'la FULL volume) I cannot help but feel if people are given the opportunity to be responsible for themselves that they don't...

It is a tough line to draw, I hate this 115db rule as much as the next person, but if all companies were pumping out gear that could deafen you, then it wouldn't be a cigarette or obesity problem that would be blighting the medical systems, it would be acute deafness.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #7,442 of 14,755
Can't drive IE800s? At what perceived volume?

Can't help but feel that this is being blown out of proportion a little (with regards to IEMs, hence point noted)...

It is a tough one, having been at CanJam and trying to listen to my Layla's at a "decent" volume on a Hugo TT (Green on the volume) and still being able to hear the person next to me (no word of a lie, over ears, Beyers I think) whilst listening on WHITE (a'la FULL volume) I cannot help but feel if people are given the opportunity to be responsible for themselves that they don't...

It is a tough line to draw, I hate this 115db rule as much as the next person, but if all companies were pumping out gear that could deafen you, then it wouldn't be a cigarette or obesity problem that would be blighting the medical systems, it would be acute deafness.

Υou know as well as i do than not all songs are recorded on the same volume.There are times where i put vol to 100% and still would need more,nothing is blown out of proportion here.I could use programs to increase vol level like AVS Audio Editor but i found that sound quality is slightly degraded,unatural.You had both ie800 and se846 and you know that ie800 need MUCH higher output to drive them to the same level as shures.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #7,444 of 14,755
The IE800 should be able to get about 113db @ 1khz with the power the EU ZX2 offers...

Please, don't get me wrong, I love the ability to play loud if wanted, and I want that freedom of choice rather than some bureaucrats in plush leather chairs smoking cigars, it just concerns me that the quest for volume (forget the ZX2 for a moment) will lead us to bad places in the future...

That chap I was sat next to that I mentioned in my previous post, if that is how he listens, he really will have impaired / damaged hearing in next to no time, and then will need even MORE volume to get past the ringing in his ears...

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #7,445 of 14,755
The IE800 should be able to get about 113db @ 1khz with the power the EU ZX2 offers...

Please, don't get me wrong, I love the ability to play loud if wanted, and I want that freedom of choice rather than some bureaucrats in plush leather chairs smoking cigars, it just concerns me that the quest for volume (forget the ZX2 for a moment) will lead us to bad places in the future...

That chap I was sat next to that I mentioned in my previous post, if that is how he listens, he really will have impaired / damaged hearing in next to no time, and then will need even MORE volume to get past the ringing in his ears...

Agreed but that should be MY choice.How would you feel if your ARM2 had 15mw to "protect" your hearing?Now the ZX2 is targeted to iems so it should be able to drive them all from highly sensitive like Se846(the hiss master) to high end custom like Heir(which i doubt it can drive even in jp version)to close to piercing levels to account for the different vol mastered albums.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #7,446 of 14,755

Apparently European countries including the US have too much regulation imposed in all sorts of things, since the product are sold in your countries they expect you to buy from there, as Sony does not sell the Japanese version internationally, there are ways to buy them, but it' not in the interested of Sony, that's why Sony has regional warranty.

Also Sony will not stated that every version of the ZX2 sold in the world are the same, (those that do, just real from specs) as some will have to meet the regulation impose in individual countries, which results in modifying the unit, so the unit can be officially sold.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/7365#post_11873726

This whole thing is just ridiculous.As you said sony has regional warranty and that means you are not covered by warranty if you buy from another country but even then i would buy from price japan no problem if not for another ''small'' issue.Greece is plagued by forced capital controls that forbid you to buy/transfer online outside of Greece anything above 500 euro per month.

This isn't just Sony, many other companies do the same.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #7,447 of 14,755
You've made me think there, I borrowed a pair of K10u a few weeks back and I cannot remember if I used them on the ZX2 or not!!

I suppose though, to agree with you, if FiiO and Acoustic Research (to name two companies whose products I own) can still sell in the EU without limits, why can't Sony (considering NONE are sold with earphones in the box, it is a level playing field)...

That has been Sony for years though, conservative, and to be fair even the JPN version isn't THAT much more powerful...

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #7,448 of 14,755
You've made me think there, I borrowed a pair of K10u a few weeks back and I cannot remember if I used them on the ZX2 or not!!

I suppose though, to agree with you, if FiiO and Acoustic Research (to name two companies whose products I own) can still sell in the EU without limits, why can't Sony (considering NONE are sold with earphones in the box, it is a level playing field)...

That has been Sony for years though, conservative, and to be fair even the JPN version isn't THAT much more powerful...

Because Sony is a much larger (and wealthy) company as opposed  to Fiio and tiny Acoustic Research with bigger walkman sales than either of the two companies combined.If someone let's say a kid for example accidentally increased the ''tremendous'' vol of walkman,inflicting the slightest perceived ear damage then daddy could sue the big bad Sony for who knows how million because it did not comply with EULA(an EU government i think proposed that ridiculous full of holes law).The bad publicity is something Sony that expands to every electronic area (tv,bluray,playstation e.t.c)cannot afford.Thinking out loud here :xf_eek: .

[mod edit] tidying up...

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #7,449 of 14,755
Deleted a couple of posts... Leave the politics at the door please...

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #7,450 of 14,755
Hi @Duncan,

I see that in your signature you have QP1R, ARM2 and the ZX2 on hand.
I currently own the zx2 and was wondering how well it fairs against the arm2 and qp1r in terms of micro-detailing.

Also to guys who have paired the zx2 with amps, which amps have you guys found to broaden the soundstage and work well with IEMs?
Been playing around with a new pair of cables i received recently but seems like it needs more current to sound its best as compared to directly from the zx2.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #7,451 of 14,755
Hi @Duncan

I see that in your signature you have QP1R, ARM2 and the ZX2 on hand.

I currently own the zx2 and was wondering how well it fairs against the arm2 and qp1r in terms of micro-detailing.

Also to guys who have paired the zx2 with amps, which amps have you guys found to broaden the soundstage and work well with IEMs?

Been playing around with a new pair of cables i received recently but seems like it needs more current to sound its best as compared to directly from the zx2.
Hi!

Unfortunately, the QP1R is the new champion when it comes to detail retrieval and spaciousness, but it does have quite a different sound signature compared to the ZX2, the Sony's forte to me is its mids, the QP1R has treble that is extended waaaay beyond what DSEE HX can offer...

The M2 is about the same as the Sony in terms of detail retrieval, but is prominent in the bass (almost blurry, but JUST holding it together!)

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #7,452 of 14,755
Hi!

Unfortunately, the QP1R is the new champion when it comes to detail retrieval and spaciousness, but it does have quite a different sound signature compared to the ZX2, the Sony's forte to me is its mids, the QP1R has treble that is extended waaaay beyond what DSEE HX can offer...

The M2 is about the same as the Sony in terms of detail retrieval, but is prominent in the bass (almost blurry, but JUST holding it together!)

Τhe se846 are bass monsters(quality,controlled,deep bass) with ZX2.Can't imagine how they would sound with M2.If someone had the aurisonics asg-2.5 and  AR M2 he would probably be half dead at the hospital due to bass overload 
smile.gif
.Btw,do you have  DSEE HX on or off,i found with on the change is subtle,slightly crisper sound  but i'm still in the burn in stage so can't be shure.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #7,453 of 14,755
which iem would be a better match for the zx2 , Noble Savant or JHA Angie ?

music would be 16-44 FLACs , rock/funk/ambient/jazz 70s-90s music , well mastered and of good artistic quality (mostly vinyl rips that sound better than all those HD tracks /MFSL versions)

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #7,454 of 14,755
  which iem would be a better match for the zx2 , Noble Savant or JHA Angie ?

music would be 16-44 FLACs , rock/funk/ambient/jazz 70s-90s music , well mastered and of good artistic quality (mostly vinyl rips that sound better than all those HD tracks /MFSL versions)

ADEL A12

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #7,455 of 14,755
Hi!

so is the qp1r much better than the zx2, what about bass 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back