SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #7,081 of 14,755
  please help 

my freind is going to turkey tomorrow and i wa sinterested to buy the zx2 for a long time

and i was set to give him the money to buy it for me in turkey until i learned about cap volume, which now is preventing me for making this purchase, is the european version lower in volume than the japanese model, and by how much, and to what extent is the volume cap affecting the volume level compared to the japanese model

please help,

I've bought some walkman's in Turkey brought by Sony Eurasia (Turkish distributor) in the past years, and none of them were capped I think. I am not 100 % content that it would sound as loud as a Japanese one, yet they would probably satisfy most iems and some low impedance cans (say like Grado's match heavenly with Sony's). 

To get clear, just send an email to Sony Eurasia Turkey. They're quite fast in replies. 

(Btw due to Turkey's current political instability $ is rising - and ZX2 just dropped to like 810 bucks!!)

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #7,085 of 14,755
  MGSV - TPP version: https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/1327/20150818_mgsvtpp.html?tkgpscom=dc_mgsvtpp_ps_tw_20150818

that's a no for me, the less junk the better, now they put a theme in it for more money, probably even less memory, when the Japanese version is already limited to 1.97gb.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #7,088 of 14,755
Recently I spent some time with my friends ZX2. The device was burned in definitely. Here are my quick thoughts, keep in mind that I didn't listen to it for weeks or something it was a full day of experience.

User experience, darn good. I like the UI and firmware. It does what it is supposed to and has even several bonuses, which are not really important to me but it made me smile to see Sony put so much effort in it. Build quality was out of this world, definitely awesome. I found the device perfect in many ways for a dap, like capacity and battery life, supported file types etc etc. However I am feeling a bit mixed about its physical size. It is a little bit thicker than I would like however I would live with it easily since the both capacity and battery life outperforms many of its rivals. Another thing is, it is very heavy. It really makes you not forget that there is a brick in your jeans pocket and no I don't wear ultra skinny hipster jeans
happy_face1.gif
All and all, I found it to be a marvelous device mainly cuz I like the UI and I need big battery life and big capacity which Sony ZX2 provides at very high levels.

Sound wise, first thing is first. Headphone out power level is quite low. Now if you are an in ear kinda type like me, you wouldn't really miss a lot. Yes some c/iems demand very high power or they sound a lot better if used with a high power output but many of the c/iems should be fine. For the sound quality, I have mixed feeling. Generally I like the device and I would pay for the full price for it but it has its ups and down like many devices in the market. Bass is outstanding, I love pretty much everything about its bass. Midrange is however a let down. Resolution levels are not at the level of high end unfortunately but if you pair it with a c/iem that has a front midrange with crystal clear resolution, the combination saves the day. For this price range, I found it a little bit sad that ZX2 is kinda picky when it comes to pairings. For example if your c/iem has a laid back presentation with not so clear midrange, it might sound congested, muddy and dull. Treble is just slightly north of neutral, showing hints of hotness and sparkle without being bright and ear hurting type. I generally loved it while I found the speed of the treble region is a little bit slow. Could be speedier and it would be awesome with metal, rock n roll tracks. Though again, if you pair it with already treble hot c/iem, this might become a very aggressive pairing to ears. If you are a treble head, sure it might be nice for you but I am very sensitive when it comes to treble and it wasn't my cup of tea.

All and all, I definitely found it a successful device with a few quirks. The thing is, I think it justifies its price tag and it is more than enough for me. I use only ciems thus not so powerful amp section is not a big problem for me. My main ciem mostly pairs with it awesomely minus the treble region which can become too hot for me depending on the song and recording. Apart from that it is wonderful. Big battery life, big capacity, great UI with lots of extra features, kinda pocketable, generally a high resolution of sound through the whole spectrum (especially in low end region). I think it is a winner.

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #7,089 of 14,755
Yah the first thing I notice if compared to say the ak series of players is the more laid back mid. The bass takes the cake for this player being punchy and deep.

And for a high resolution player, the battery is really outstanding. Never worry about charging it every single day

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #7,090 of 14,755
Yah the first thing I notice if compared to say the ak series of players is the more laid back mid. The bass takes the cake for this player being punchy and deep.

And for a high resolution player, the battery is really outstanding. Never worry about charging it every single day

hope this isn't a basshead's DAP , i want my sound/dap balanced and musical....

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #7,091 of 14,755
Na it's just better bass not more bass :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #7,092 of 14,755
where would be the cheapest place to buy this beauty?

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #7,093 of 14,755
hope this isn't a basshead's DAP , i want my sound/dap balanced and musical....

I'm wondering if the abundance of bass that some are reporting has anything to do with using low impedance IEMs. I'm not sure of the ZX2's output impedance but it's a Sony which probably means it's high. The two combined could certainly result in more pronounced bass and roll off in other frequencies. I have one on the way and will be testing with 82ohm CIEMs and my Noble 6 which are quite a bit lower. Being pretty familiar with the sound of both it'll be interesting to see what changes the ZX2 brings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back