SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 18, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #7,066 of 14,755
I did some testing on the output and ZX2 really has a low powered port that even gets outpaced by the AK Jr in songs thats very dynamic and alot of bass. With a K701, if the song is purely vocal, it produces a really clear and wide sound stage feel. But the moment the song is dynamic and alot of bass, it feels alittle hollow vs the AK Jr and congested. Its as expected base on all the reviews before though so I am still really happy since for its purpose its still darn good. 

On a side note, volume wise its more then enough for me. The ZX2 at full is a little too loud but the similar output on the AK Jr is only 65/75.

I don't know how K701 is in term of sound quality when pairing with ZX2, but to my PO, the Z7 pair too well with ZX2. Thick sounding, just excellent

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #7,068 of 14,755
my experience with z7 is not the same, they are quite low volume..... at top volume you can still surroundings, they are like %50 volume of share 535s ( which they are impossible to listen at max volume ), i tried z7 with schiit lyr and i know what can sound like ( with lyr max at %50), so i will strongly advice to test with an european zx2 ( Turkey is part of Sony Europe ).

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #7,069 of 14,755
  please help 

my freind is going to turkey tomorrow and i wa sinterested to buy the zx2 for a long time

and i was set to give him the money to buy it for me in turkey until i learned about cap volume, which now is preventing me for making this purchase, is the european version lower in volume than the japanese model, and by how much, and to what extent is the volume cap affecting the volume level compared to the japanese model

please help,

You'd have to ask @tenedosian

Quote:
  ZX2 is for sale in Turkey for a few weeks. Generally Sony Eurasia sells them at a pretty higher price in Turkey than Japan, but ZX2 shows to be an exception. 

It is now sale for 2400 Turkish Liras (like $895). That might be one of the best prices in the world for this dap, even cheaper than Japan itself. 

And I guess they're directly from Japan, so they should have no volume cap whatsoever.

I think especially European guys (that think of buying a ZX2 for $1100 - $1200) (as they can easily enter Turkey) can come here, buy a volume cap-free ZX2 for $895, and can have a pretty enjoyable holiday for a couple of weeks in the southern Mediterranean coasts with the additional few hundred bucks 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #7,070 of 14,755
Whatever way you want to colour it, the ZX2 output is, for at least half of people, too low for driving full sized cans, irrespective of which version it may be.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #7,071 of 14,755
I was told that only Japan version does not have the caps, the rest of the world is capped.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #7,072 of 14,755
will iems be driven fine with the european 'volume cap' version ?

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #7,073 of 14,755
IEM will be fine. You will never hit volume cap. With my Lyra its about 50% and my UM Mage CIEM its only like 30-40%.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #7,074 of 14,755
IEM will be fine. You will never hit volume cap. With my Lyra its about 50% and my UM Mage CIEM its only like 30-40%.
Never say never :wink:

I hit it quite often with Layla (and wanted more) - guess I've been to too many gigs and know the volumes they run to...

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #7,076 of 14,755
Whatever way you want to colour it, the ZX2 output is, for at least half of people, too low for driving full sized cans, irrespective of which version it may be.

You personally experienced this combo ? What do you think it is lacking ? Normally not enough power would make the sound very thin, less impact...etc. hence I wonder what do you think it is really lacking

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #7,077 of 14,755
Yes, by a long chalk!

Hmmm. Comparing some of the Astell & Kern players to the DX90 has left me feeling somewhat skeptical about the differences between DAPs, but this one appeals because it would allow me to use TIDAL straight from the device. I'll give it a shot and if it disappointments then I'll be holding you personally responsible :wink:

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #7,078 of 14,755
You personally experienced this combo ? What do you think it is lacking ? Normally not enough power would make the sound very thin, less impact...etc. hence I wonder what do you think it is really lacking
No, I didn't intimate that, but - having the player, whilst I find it fine, some find it can be too powerful, and others, not powerful enough - it all depends on what you want to drive...

Regardless, I swapped over to the AR M2, and - now power isn't a problem at all :D

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #7,079 of 14,755
Hmmm. Comparing some of the Astell & Kern players to the DX90 has left me feeling somewhat skeptical about the differences between DAPs, but this one appeals because it would allow me to use TIDAL straight from the device. I'll give it a shot and if it disappointments then I'll be holding you personally responsible :wink:

Hehe. I used to own the DX90. The ZX2 has more of a natural presentation, with a touch more warmth. The way the music dances around you is just mesmerising, it's like you're there too.I'm sure you'll love it, after it's burnt in for over 100 hours.

Let me know what you think.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #7,080 of 14,755
Hehe. I used to own the DX90. The ZX2 has more of a natural presentation, with a touch more warmth. The way the music dances around you is just mesmerising, it's like you're there too.I'm sure you'll love it, after it's burnt in for over 100 hours.

Let me know what you think.

I agree that ZX2 is warmer, and naturally fluid kind of sound signature :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back