SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 2, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #4,006 of 14,755
Ive had the dap for 2 days and haven't added or changed a thing.

Suggestion :
1) update the main system firmware only
2) uninstall any updates for google play, keep it at stock firmware
3) do not install any cleaner/tuner apps

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #4,007 of 14,755
Suggestion :

Great suggestions, will uninstall updates:thumbsup::beers:

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #4,008 of 14,755

It should be automatic once you connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot and login to a Google account. All Android devices check for firmware and OS updates occasionally when they have any internet connection active. You can also do it manually by going to Settings -> About Device -> System Update.

thanks! I dont have nor plan to have a Google account, I went for the manual option and it all seems to be up to date. cheers!

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #4,010 of 14,755
  Is anyone able to find the "shuffle all" (or similar) setting for the library? Is there one and I'm just blind?

There are two little icons on the bottom right of the play screens--one is for shuffle and the other for repeat. To "shuffle all", just make sure the shuffle setting is on, go to the All Songs in the library and just select one. It should add and shuffle the entire library at that point.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #4,011 of 14,755

There are two little icons on the bottom right of the play screens--one is for shuffle and the other for repeat. To "shuffle all", just make sure the shuffle setting is on, go to the All Songs in the library and just select one. It should add and shuffle the entire library at that point.

Thanks M3Rocket. Not difficult but not so intuitive to me either. The extra step in going back to all songs threw me. Appreciate your reply.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #4,012 of 14,755

@Steven R. Rochli Did you by chance turn off adjustments, DSEE HX....during the comparison with AK240?

Sorry for delayed reply, had a mag to get out and need to pack the TV studio for AXPONA, etc etc etc.

Never use 'em, they seem to do more harm than good imho. When not reviewing I'll EQ a tad here or there, but that's it. The real problem is, various songs need diff EQ and I've already spoken to Sony (and others) about someone needing to come up with an industry standard EQ memory adjustment that reads the META data and thus remembers your EQ settings per song/album.

For pro audio, have the EQ also remember the timecode, so you can change the EQ actively during the song and thus the EQ will 'record' your changes and simply 'follow' those timecoded EQ changes during playback.

It is really easy to do with simple code and an XML file stuffed into the same folder as the digitzed audio file or whatever linking code that keys into the META data for playback. Added benefit, you can mod the XML file's timecode and EQ settings as it should all be in simple text and only needs to 'record' the EQ at said timecode changes, thus you can manually go into the file and change the timecode or EQ by modding the text within the XML file. Simple stuff really if the playback software has the additional plug-in.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #4,013 of 14,755
Suggestion :

Still rather new to Android so just wanted to ask: what would be the benefit of uninstalling any updates fro google play? should be same be extended to all other google apps as i only use this as a DAP?

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #4,014 of 14,755
Still rather new to Android so just wanted to ask: what would be the benefit of uninstalling any updates fro google play? should be same be extended to all other google apps as i only use this as a DAP?

I'm also new to Android since i have always been using an iOS lol .The Google Play service update will add in features that are only useful for phone functions, Texting, calling, maps etc which will drain battery and also makes changes to original setting set by Sony ZX2. It doesn't make the system run faster or anything benefits especially you are not using a phone here..
No, Google apps? if you mean regular apps like Tital, Spotify, i have been updating regularly so not a problem. But I always try to disable anything running in background  that are not relevant to stock player while i'm running it.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #4,015 of 14,755
Having worked in the Semiconductor chip manufacturing field for a couple of decades, I can understand why Sony is charging so much for their elite audio chip.  Small lots come at a much higher price than regular products.  If they are using an exotic design, there would be fewer foundries capable of running a cutting-edge process.  All chips start out hoping to make the 'A-list' and it is only at final test where you really are able to know what you have gotten performance-wise.  

There is a big difference between 'prime grade' chips and 'street-bits.'  The good stuff can last over 300,000 hours.  Street bits have a life expectancy of about 10,000 hours.  So... when you couple small lots, with cutting-edge processes, with stringent performance requirements... it is easy to see why these cards could cost so much.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4,016 of 14,755

I'm also new to Android since i have always been using an iOS lol .The Google Play service update will add in features that are only useful for phone functions, Texting, calling, maps etc which will drain battery and also makes changes to original setting set by Sony ZX2. It doesn't make the system run faster or anything benefits especially you are not using a phone here..
No, Google apps? if you mean regular apps like Tital, Spotify, i have been updating regularly so not a problem. But I always try to disable anything running in background  that are not relevant to stock player while i'm running it.

How do you keep the apps from auto updating when you connect to a network?

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #4,018 of 14,755
Having worked in the Semiconductor chip manufacturing field for a couple of decades, I can understand why Sony is charging so much for their elite audio chip.  Small lots come at a much higher price than regular products.  If they are using an exotic design, there would be fewer foundries capable of running a cutting-edge process.  All chips start out hoping to make the 'A-list' and it is only at final test where you really are able to know what you have gotten performance-wise.  

There is a big difference between 'prime grade' chips and 'street-bits.'  The good stuff can last over 300,000 hours.  Street bits have a life expectancy of about 10,000 hours.  So... when you couple small lots, with cutting-edge processes, with stringent performance requirements... it is easy to see why these cards could cost so much.

And how do you know Sony isn't charging you 'prime grade' prices for 'street bits'?:D

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #4,020 of 14,755
Wow--time to take a deep breath and step back a bit. He is referring to Sony's brand specific SD card, not an actual "audio card". I'm not sure what Sony's card offers that makes it unique but I'm guessing an SD card from any reputable manufacturer will be just fine. I'd hope most here wouldn't fall for a $300 special SD card but perhaps someone else has more information about why it is so expensive--if, in fact that is the price.

Cards from other manufacturers work fine but don't know where people are getting this $300 price. FWIW it's going for ~$120 in Japan for the 64GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back