SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 6, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #181 of 14,755
Yahoo ran an article today about the NW-ZX2. The comment section is a pretty entertaining. 

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/sony-aims-audiophiles-aluminum-walkman-110409769.html

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #183 of 14,755
Non of all these high end components will matter when paired with an external amp right? I will be getting the PHA-3 to be able to use the balanced connection of my MDR-Z7. And if I'm going to use PHA-3 any source/transport able to play hi-res would suffice. So I don't really see the point of combining the PHA-3 with such an expensive Walkman.

For portability it's probably great though. Just wish it offered balanced connection.

Still many of the new components would technically be making a higher quality source. [size=12.7272720336914px]But whether its worth to drop a grand on a ZX2 to use as a source, well need to compare to ZX1 to figure that out. [/size]For example out of this list of improvements, the bolded would still be in action when used as a source

1. Super Capacitor- ensures signal accuracy by providing more power reserves (The super cap will make sure the main voltage rail remains stable, as well as increase power, so you can use wifi, gps, etc while playing music without deteriorating SQ which  happens on phones)
2. 3 more Os-Con Caps- used in power filtering. Still retains the other 4 Os-Con caps like ZX1 in the analog circuit, but adds 3 more for stable frequency characteristics and lower noise.
3. PCB- Uses a thicker gold plated copper PCB than ZX1.
4. 2 Crystal Clocks- ZX1 could only do 44.1, 88.2 176.4 native, ZX2 adds 48, 96, 192 native.
5. Chassis- Noise isolation improved by encasing audio components in gold plated copper. ZX1 just used the aluminium chassis to isolate from the screen, ZX2 isolation metals are better, and isolate both front and back of player unlike ZX1, and also compartmentalize the battery.
6. 99.99% pure tin solder delivers a natural frequency balance.
7. MELF capacitors- used in the analog output stage, these metal electrode caps are the best possible you could use, a DIYers dream, and currently not found in any other daps. These are pictured next to the bottom two os-con caps, they are very small so look close.
8. Film condensors- Minimize interference from vibrations, waves and electrical sources. Again these are premium components, not found in any other daps. In the pictures, these are the green looking components next to the os-con caps.
9. Large coil resistors in analog circuit. For lower distortion, lower resistance power output. These are the large black square components next to the os-con caps and seem 3-4 times bigger than the ones on ZX1.
10. Double the battery capacity of the ZX1, this will actually halve battery impedance for better extension in bass and treble.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #185 of 14,755
Is this a Sony thing or am I missing something about the ZX players? Other than the expectable sleek and sexy Sony form factor, what is so compelling about either the ZX1 or ZX2? Maybe I didn't really listen but my impressions from the ZX1 was not overwhelming (though it's not underwhelming too, so maybe just whelming?).

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #186 of 14,755
Photos sharing of ZX2 introduction by Sony Japan chief engineer and project head in Beijing:

http://bbs.imp3.net/thread-11214069-1-1.html

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #187 of 14,755
I'd like to know a few things I'm researching now.

Compared to the AK240 what is the ZX2 user interface speed like? I am getting the impression Sony didn't use the fastest of CPU chips to run the nearly full fleged Android OS - which I might add is two years behind the current Android OS. I know the AK240 is android as well but it's seemingly far more streamlined with no browser or Google Play store like the Sony. And I don't know what version of android the AK240 is running or if it's using a super fast CPU for the extra money. Also the screen resolution on the AK240 is very low. I need to compare that screen to the Sony. And who makes the better software. Things to think about.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #188 of 14,755
  Yahoo ran an article today about the NW-ZX2. The comment section is a pretty entertaining. 

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/sony-aims-audiophiles-aluminum-walkman-110409769.html

I don't know what's more entertaining- the people commenting about things they know nothing about or the Apple fanboys who think their iPods are irreplaceable...

I think this is the coolest audio gadget I've seen from CES this year so far, at least in the "realistically affordable" category anyway.  It is still too rich for my blood but I like where they're going with it.  Look forward to the reviews after its release!

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #189 of 14,755
Screen for the NW-ZX2:

4.0-inch 854 x 480 FWVGA Triluminos LCD

Screen for the AK240:

3.3-inch 800 x 480 WVGA AMOLED

They both could use a boost in screen resolution for the money involved IMHO.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #190 of 14,755

Compared to the AK240 what is the ZX2 user interface speed like? I am getting the impression Sony didn't use the fastest of CPU chips to run the nearly full fleged Android OS - which I might add is two years behind the current Android OS. I know the AK240 is android as well but it's seemingly far more streamlined with no browser or Google Play store like the Sony. And I don't know what version of android the AK240 is running or if it's using a super fast CPU for the extra money. Also the screen resolution on the AK240 is very low. I need to compare that screen to the Sony. And who makes the better software. Things to think about.

My ZX1 interface is nearly as polished as my iPhone 5.  It updates the library in less than 30 seconds.  Like the AK240, the ZX1/2 is able to stream from wireless drive/server via third party app or Sony DLNA app.  I don't think the AK240 can match the Sony interface IMO.  Some one who has both should chime in.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #191 of 14,755
  Is this a Sony thing or am I missing something about the ZX players? Other than the expectable sleek and sexy Sony form factor, what is so compelling about either the ZX1 or ZX2? Maybe I didn't really listen but my impressions from the ZX1 was not overwhelming (though it's not underwhelming too, so maybe just whelming?).

The Sony's use Class D technology, unlike other traditional daps. Which is nothing special on its own, as all mobile phones on the market actually use Class D for audio these days, iphone, samsung, sony, lg etc all use a Class D audio output which is actually built into the CPU of the phones (Snapdragon CPU). But this means all kinds of noise and cross talk etc could occur, and the high power rail feeding the cpu is also feeding the audio circuit resulting in distortion etc. Basically most of the design factors are an audiophiles nightmare.

But the Sony ZX series are very special, they use a separate higher quality class D chip (S Master HX), The Sony ZX2 has an os-con capacitor filtered power supply for low noise, Film condensors for cancelling vibration and electrical noise, os-con capacitors in analog stage for better bass, high quality pcb and solder, and to top it off the whole audio circuit is encased in gold plated copper shielding to reduce noise and interference. The ZX2 also has a super capacitor to increase power over ZX1.

The sound of this series isn't really a "wow" type sound, its kinda analytical and thin, some would say cold or digital, but to me ZX1 represents a truer reproduction of the audio file and it actually sounds more natural than other Daps to me personally, especially with Hi-Res. The audio circuit in the ZX series is very short compared to other daps, its just CPU PCM> S Master PWM > Voltage Feedback Pump > Headphone. This short circuit coupled with the speed, accuracy and efficiency of Class D brings a truer representation of audio imo. And the ZX2 is said to remedy the main sticking points of ZX1, those being thin and cold (but still excellent).

Traditional daps instead mostly have to use a large opamp chain instead which varies in length depending on DAC used and desired output, which usually looks like CPU PCM > DAC > IV conversion > Low Pass Filter > Voltage Amp > Buffer > Headphone.

And I have basically come to hate on opamps, because they all sound different, yet non of them sound even close to perfect imo, a not exactly related example being op amp rolling in my E12 and P4 amps, even after spending $400 on various high end opamps, I would never find a sound that got everything right. Maybe I'm just crazy.

I pretty much feel that the future of audio advancement is Class D.  NAD is taking the Class D route with their DAC's and Amps and I have been very impressed with those. Companies won't stop producing the traditional DACs and Amps, because there will be many people that prefer that sound to Class D.

But Class D is the newest tech, and is just much more eloquently realized than traditional DACs and Amps imo. Its simple, efficient and sounds more transparent (imo).

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #192 of 14,755
My ZX1 interface is nearly as polished as my iPhone 5.  It updates the library in less than 30 seconds.  Like the AK240, the ZX1/2 is able to stream from wireless drive/server via third party app or Sony DLNA app.  I don't think the AK240 can match the Sony interface IMO.  Some one who has both should chime in.

One of the first things I did with my ZX-1 was to get rid of every possible Android bloatware that came with it. I bought this to play music, not to play games or to surf the net or even to admire album artwork so it doesn't matter to me that it doesn't match my iPhone for those attributes.

Using only FLAC, I hardly pay attention to the battery life. I charge it when I want and it is like as if it was solar-powered.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #193 of 14,755

I was able to go to CES today, and was able to listen to the ZX2 today. I'll post my full impressions later, but to answer your question right now, the ZX2 UI does not feel any slower than the AK240. I think the response time (how fast it takes to get another menu after pressing a button) is about the same, but the Sony has smoother transitions (as in, the transitions on the Sony are fancier - think like the newer Xperia series - and seem to run at a faster framerate) that makes the ZX2 UI feel slightly more pleasant.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #194 of 14,755

Don't get caught up with them using 4.2.  If anything the older software means it is more stable and Sony being more familiar with it with more bugs ironed out.  Lolipop is barely few months out in the market and practically no Sony devices uses it, that's actually asking for trouble.  

From my limited experience with the AK240, the ZX1 UI are about equal in fluidity with the ZX1 having a slight edge, but it's not like either one will lag or shutter anyway.  The ZX1 is also much less customized than AK240 so it's more familiar and is essentially no different to their Xperia phone's interface, which in itself is quite close to stock Android UI.

Let's face it though you aren't going to be installing tones of apps on these things, with that a dual core CPU for Android is fine.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #195 of 14,755
Don't get caught up with them using 4.2.  If anything the older software means it is more stable and Sony being more familiar with it with more bugs ironed out.  Lolipop is barely few months out in the market and practically no Sony devices uses it, that's actually asking for trouble.  

From my limited experience with the AK240, the ZX1 UI are about equal in fluidity with the ZX1 having a slight edge, but it's not like either one will lag or shutter anyway.  The ZX1 is also much less customized than AK240 so it's more familiar and is essentially no different to their Xperia phone's interface, which in itself is quite close to stock Android UI.

Let's face it though you aren't going to be installing tones of apps on these things, with that a dual core CPU for Android is fine.

I know but for the money I want a blazing interface. I have an iPhone 6 for music now - it should at least match that interface speed for being over $1000. Especially if the OS has less to do. And why don't we have retina level displays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back