SONY NW-ZX2
May 25, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #13,891 of 14,755
Aha.... Good choice of the IEM! I have been enjoying it with the combination of the ZX2, the Sony Upgrade Cable (terminated to 3.5mm TRRS)! Was having the X5III for more than 1-week comparing them daily and still find the ZX2 much better in sound quality to my preference of music. So ended up selling the X5III yesterday.

Another good accessory for ZX2 user will be the original flip case (vs Cruzerlite or the standard black case). Really useful and provides an ease of use (flip the case cover and see the screen) and it has magnetic closure to keep it closed. Provides better protection than the standard leather case and lower the chance of dropping the ZX2 when trying to take it out from the case.
Right now I am running it with the stock 3.5 cable but used eq on zx2 to tweak to my liking. I like to have a bit more of upper frequency but yeah this pairing is still smooth as hell.

May 26, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #13,892 of 14,755
Right now I am running it with the stock 3.5 cable but used eq on zx2 to tweak to my liking. I like to have a bit more of upper frequency but yeah this pairing is still smooth as hell.

Quite a good investment to grab the Sony Upgrade Cable. The MUC-M12SM1, not the newer one though (I think the new one is MUC-M12SM2).

Very high quality built, and it is completely free from microphonic noise. Sony made this cable specially for XBA series, and matches perfectly with XBA-Z5 bringing the sound to the next level. It is also much more comfortable than the stock cable.

Re-terminate into TRRS and this should optimise the last drop of sound quality from the ZX2.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #13,894 of 14,755
@Leviticus: here you go:

So far no one has managed to remove the volume cap from the ZX2. Prove me wrong....

All righty - these are the steps I took to root my ZX2 and tweak the system config to disable the volume cap. I don't guarantee this will work for you, and do it at your own risk - if you brick or damage your ZX2 it's not my fault! and the Chinese root tool will likely install some bloatware apps or who knows what other dodgy stuff it does

First select: Settings >> Security >> Unknown sources on your device.

Download the following apps from google play:
ES File Explorer (or other file explorer)

On your ZX2 download the APK from this URL: root.360.cn (mobile version download)

Go to your downloads folder and install the downloaded APK - accept security warnings. Open the rooting app and press the large center circular button (need to be connected to wifi).. the app will start trying to root your devices and display percentage - you might see security warnings from Android, just accept them and keep going - once it's done you might see a sad face, if so, try again by pressing the circular button.. eventually I managed to get successfull root (different icon to sad face), you're in business.. I had to attempt few times before it worked for me.

Once Rooted:

0. set root access in settings of ES File Explorer - root tool popup warning will come up > accept on left button i think (in Chinese)

1. you can access /configs/region.zip

2. copy paste region.zip back it up to your own folder just in case

3. unzip /configs/region.zip (you might need unzip app from playstore)

4. edit region.prop (you might need a text editor from play store):
ro.sony.volume_limit=0
ro.sony.walkman.euvollimit (add one more zero to the end of the integer value)

5. save it, zip it up and put it back like it was before /configs/region.zip but with the changed values

6. Restart your device and voila, louder by about 20-30%

7. Optional: uninstall root tool and bloatware

May 26, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #13,896 of 14,755
Just curious does anybody here uses a different music app on their unit? Have used before and returned to the stock player?

May 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #13,897 of 14,755
Quite a good investment to grab the Sony Upgrade Cable. The MUC-M12SM1, not the newer one though (I think the new one is MUC-M12SM2).

Very high quality built, and it is completely free from microphonic noise. Sony made this cable specially for XBA series, and matches perfectly with XBA-Z5 bringing the sound to the next level. It is also much more comfortable than the stock cable.

Re-terminate into TRRS and this should optimise the last drop of sound quality from the ZX2.
Do you have any picture of this setup? I'm very interested.

May 26, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #13,899 of 14,755
Has anyone gotten their new X5 3rd gen and had it not boot past the red welcome screen? I'd done extensive research and messaged Fiio but no luck so far
Not the right thread to post. You may post at the dedicated x5iii thread to get immediate response. James from fiio is also very responsive when it comes to customer concerns.

May 27, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #13,900 of 14,755
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #13,903 of 14,755
Jun 11, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #13,904 of 14,755
Great case, go for it. So so so much better than what they did with the WM1a/z

Found a super mint, brand new condition used set yesterday and bought it! Previous owner only used for 1 week before selling off his ZX2. Really premium quality and the magnetic flip works really well.

Bought for wife, but she prefers using her ZX2 without a flip.... :anguished:

Will probably keep this beauty as spare case. Anyone keen can PM me!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #13,905 of 14,755
Found a super mint, brand new condition used set yesterday and bought it! Previous owner only used for 1 week before selling off his ZX2. Really premium quality and the magnetic flip works really well.

Bought for wife, but she prefers using her ZX2 without a flip.... :anguished:

Will probably keep this beauty as spare case. Anyone keen can PM me!

Ha ha ha. It's a great case . I'd keep it spare . Still don't understand how Sony got the new case so wrong compared to the ZX2.

Still can't let go of my ZX2, with its ability to stream it staying as a source . :) great Dap, though need a crack at removing the sound limiter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back