Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 29, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #3,601 of 5,804
It's been a few months since I've hooked up my Z5 in my ear. 

OMG........

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,606 of 5,804
 What benefit does this bring ? if there is no remote or microphone ? Correct me if im wrong ?

This is specific for players with balanced output with 3.5mm TRRS, such as ZX2 and Hifiman DAP.

Thus, 2 poles for L (L+, L-) and 2 pole for R (R+, R-).

Benefits? Can't explain, but you can read up the 870+ pages of the ZX2 thread on the benefits of balanced output.

For me, I like the shiny metal plug. Looks cool.

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3,610 of 5,804
  can you hear the difference between the balanced cable and standard?

For me, I heard an immediate difference with the upgrade MUC-M20BL1 and MUC-B20BL1 for the Z5 and Z7 respectively :) Not night and day, but appreciable.

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,612 of 5,804
You will need to hear it yourself to decide whether there is a difference.

Which DAP or AMP are you using with your Z5?

I have a recently acquired ZX2, and thus re-terminated the plug to maximise the potential of both the DAP and the IEM. Don't have another unbalanced cable to do direct comparison, but I like the current setup. It could be the attributes of the ZX2, or the Z5, or the upgrade cable, or simply just the balanced output.

It sounds good.

[COLOR=111111]can you hear the difference between the balanced cable and standard?[/COLOR]

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #3,613 of 5,804

What benefit does this bring ? if there is no remote or microphone ? Correct me if im wrong ?

This is specific for players with balanced output with 3.5mm TRRS, such as ZX2 and Hifiman DAP.

Thus, 2 poles for L (L+, L-) and 2 pole for R (R+, R-).

Benefits? Can't explain, but you can read up the 870+ pages of the ZX2 thread on the benefits of balanced output.

For me, I like the shiny metal plug. Looks cool

I have the upgrade cable and am interested in getting the onkyo dap . so how is this mod done ?

i guess i could just get a cheap adapter ? 

s-l500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back