SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 12, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #13,636 of 14,773

Yeah, I have been waiting for this
biggrin.gif

Would be interesting to compare against Samsung 64GB. To my ears, Sammy sounds better than Sandisk.

i Agree, my Samsung 256GB sounds better tan the SanDisk 200GB

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #13,637 of 14,773
Yeah, I have been waiting for this
biggrin.gif

Mine died  after a few months of use and memory cards sold in japan does not come with warranty, only 9 days I think. If I just pick up a memory card in Hong Kong I get at least 3 years to lifetime warranty.

The bad thing is this Sony is like 6-7 times the cost when compared to similar card from other brand.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #13,640 of 14,773
Got a chance to compare the ZX2 alongside with the PHA3. ZX2 was no match to the PHA3, the PHA3 on balanced cable powered the Z5 well and I am sure the sound stage was clearer and wider on the PHA3.

Disappointed with Sony's marketing strategy. A $1200 worth DAP should atleast power IEMs, $300 Fiio players throw over 300mW at ease, when compared to the 15mW from the ZX2. :frowning2:

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #13,641 of 14,773
Got a chance to compare the ZX2 alongside with the PHA3. ZX2 was no match to the PHA3, the PHA3 on balanced cable powered the Z5 well and I am sure the sound stage was clearer and wider on the PHA3.

Disappointed with Sony's marketing strategy. A $1200 worth DAP should atleast power IEMs, $300 Fiio players throw over 300mW at ease, when compared to the 15mW from the ZX2. :frowning2:

Interestingly, despite the relatively low power, my ZX2 powers my Campfire Audio Vega and Lyra, iBasso IT03 and q-Jays V2 with authority. My listening level on all of them is what I would consider a live level. My volume control rarely exceeds about 40-60%. I have never experienced clipping or distortion at any listening level. I also have paired it with my Sony MDR-100ANQ bluetooth phones and max volume is far greater than I can tolerate. My AQ Nighthawk over-ear phones are also powered to my normal listening level with less than half volume.

The ZX2 was clearly designed for use with IEM's and relatively efficient phones.

FWIW, I am also using the Neutron music player as I really like their crossfeed implementation. In addition, it offers a preamp if one needs more output. (within reason)

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #13,642 of 14,773
Interestingly, despite the relatively low power, my ZX2 powers my Campfire Audio Vega and Lyra, iBasso IT03 and q-Jays V2 with authority.

At the same volume levels, PHA3 feels more present, clear and wide on the Z5. I will have to go with the PHA3 for now until I try the WM1A. I wish they had a dap like the A15 inbuilt on to PHA3. I am ok with the tiny interface and the additional $200 bucks.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #13,643 of 14,773
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this hobby. While I don't post regularly (this is one of my first posts here), I'm a regular reader of the forums at Head-Fi, as I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and points of view on audio-related topics. I've learned quite a bit from all of you, so a big thanks to the community for sharing knowledge, tips, etc.

I have recently purchased a ZX2 (coming from a Z1060, which I loved) and I'm trying to make the most of it. I don't really have any remarkable phones and I currently do my listening with a pair of Bose SoundTru cans, which I find more than ok for my uses (traveling a lot), but I'm sure there's room for improvement without spending fortunes. I'd like, however, to upgrade my cans and I'm searching for advice. Any suggestions for good cans that can be driven well by the ZX2 (no external amps) and are about 250-300 dollars?

Also, I've read through this entry and most people seem to have found using TTRS connections a noticeable improvement in SQ. I also read that there are different set ups for the LLRRG points, so not every TTRS cable works in every device. Any advice on getting TTRS cables that work with the ZX2?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #13,644 of 14,773
  Hello everyone,

I'm new to this hobby. While I don't post regularly (this is one of my first posts here), I'm a regular reader of the forums at Head-Fi, as I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and points of view on audio-related topics. I've learned quite a bit from all of you, so a big thanks to the community for sharing knowledge, tips, etc.

I have recently purchased a ZX2 (coming from a Z1060, which I loved) and I'm trying to make the most of it. I don't really have any remarkable phones and I currently do my listening with a pair of Bose SoundTru cans, which I find more than ok for my uses (traveling a lot), but I'm sure there's room for improvement without spending fortunes. I'd like, however, to upgrade my cans and I'm searching for advice. Any suggestions for good cans that can be driven well by the ZX2 (no external amps) and are about 250-300 dollars?

Also, I've read through this entry and most people seem to have found using TTRS connections a noticeable improvement in SQ. I also read that there are different set ups for the LLRRG points, so not every TTRS cable works in every device. Any advice on getting TTRS cables that work with the ZX2?

Thanks in advance!

If you are planning to use the ZX2 as it is... without any external amp then I would advice you to go with Sony EX750. Coz the ZX2 powered the EX750 well. Anything over that is a overkill for the ZX2. Not sure about TRRS though..

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #13,646 of 14,773
If you are planning to use the ZX2 as it is... without any external amp then I would advice you to go with Sony EX750. Coz the ZX2 powered the EX750 well. Anything over that is a overkill for the ZX2. Not sure about TRRS though..

Thanks a lot for the advice! Do you mean the Bluetooth cans? I haven't tried them and I see there is also an EX750 IEM model.

What about Momentum 2.0? Can the zx2 drive them to reasonable levels? I don't listen at high volume levels. I'm sorry to ask, but where I live demoing opportunities are extremely limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back