SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 11, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #13,621 of 14,773
Still confused between PHA3 and ZX2 for my Z5. Mostly my music is in 320KBPS or 1MBPS FLAC. So is it better to go with PHA3 or ZX2? I see the PHA3 upscales the low res to high res, does that make a huge difference between PHA3 and ZX2?

I live in a small town Ohio, unfortunately I cant try them in flesh, so relying on your advice.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #13,622 of 14,773
My two cents are if you're going to primarily use an IEM or easy to drive headphone go with the ZX2.  The ZX2 also has the DSEE HX feature that claims to upscale music to near high resolution quality.  For what it's worth I don't use any EQ or sound enhancements with my ZX2.  I've read some like the DSEE HX feature but I haven't tried it yet so I'm can't comment on it one way or the other.   I've found over the years that most sound enhancements (on DAPs etc) actually negatively effect the sound and are best left off.  Just my two cents.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #13,624 of 14,773
  My two cents are if you're going to primarily use an IEM or easy to drive headphone go with the ZX2.  The ZX2 also has the DSEE HX feature that claims to upscale music to near high resolution quality.  For what it's worth I don't use any EQ or sound enhancements with my ZX2.  I've read some like the DSEE HX feature but I haven't tried it yet so I'm can't comment on it one way or the other.   I've found over the years that most sound enhancements (on DAPs etc) actually negatively effect the sound and are best left off.  Just my two cents.

Thanks for the response @zeddun

Another lame question, can the ZX2 be used a DAC for my mobile or Laptop.

PS: Just asking because Fiio X3 is capable of being a DAP and DAC.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #13,625 of 14,773

No

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #13,626 of 14,773

No, even the more expensive WM1Z can not be used as DAC. If you want something like that, I suggest looking into Opus 1 for affordable pricing and ore more high-end of Opus 2...then Extreme luxury of AK380 :) and soon to release flagship this year

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #13,627 of 14,773
No, even the more expensive WM1Z can not be used as DAC. If you want something like that, I suggest looking into Opus 1 for affordable pricing and ore more high-end of Opus 2...then Extreme luxury of AK380
smily_headphones1.gif
and soon to release flagship this year

Yes, there is no point in using it as a DAC, coz the amp section is too weak. Just checked for the ZX2 power output figures on Sony Japan site, it is just 15mW @ 16 ohms. I don't think it can even drive a $20 IEM, is Sony deliberately pushing us to use the PHA3 to arrive at the best of their audio experience?

If thats the case then why ZX2? I would rather prefer a A15, DAC'd with PHA3.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #13,628 of 14,773
I'm sure there is some marketing from Sony to try and push sales of the PHA-3 for use with the ZX2.  Also, I'm guessing to achieve the battery life the ZX2 does the output power of the amp had to be compromised. FYI I have no problems driving either of my IEMS (Shure SE846 and Campfire Audio Lyra II) to ear splitting levels with my ZX2 and both sound great..  The ZX2 also does a fairly decent job driving my Audeze LCD-XCs but with some older tracks where the volume level of the track is lower the ZX2 does run out of steam so a desktop or portable headphone amp with more power is preferable. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #13,629 of 14,773
Yes, there is no point in using it as a DAC, coz the amp section is too weak. Just checked for the ZX2 power output figures on Sony Japan site, it is just 15mW @ 16 ohms. I don't think it can even drive a $20 IEM, is Sony deliberately pushing us to use the PHA3 to arrive at the best of their audio experience?

If thats the case then why ZX2? I would rather prefer a A15, DAC'd with PHA3.

I have no problem driving Signature Pro, JH13 or qJays V2 even with the volume capped EU ZX2

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #13,631 of 14,773
Zx2 has plenty of power, I don't know what about that 15mW rating from the sites. But to me, the Zx2 is just fine for IEMS and some headphones. I can drive Z1R out of TRRS just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Just crossing my fingers and placing an order for ZX2 to pair with Z5. Not sure if it will pair well, else will have to end up posting at the classifieds section.

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX2/spec.html

ヘッドホン実用最大出力(JEITA 16Ω/mW) 15mW+15mW

Transalated

Headphone practical maximum output (JEITA 16Ω/mW) 15mW+15mW

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #13,632 of 14,773

Zx2 has plenty of power, I don't know what about that 15mW rating from the sites. But to me, the Zx2 is just fine for IEMS and some headphones. I can drive Z1R out of TRRS just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Just crossing my fingers and placing an order for ZX2 to pair with Z5. Not sure if it will pair well, else will have to end up posting at the classifieds section.

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX2/spec.html

ヘッドホン実用最大出力(JEITA 16Ω/mW) 15mW+15mW

Transalated

Headphone practical maximum output (JEITA 16Ω/mW) 15mW+15mW

Well to be Frank my now killed ZX100 was also 15mW+15mW and the Z5 didn't played well with it, too boomy most of times and struggled to shine at their best. Thank god now i have a WM1A with 60mW+60mW under SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back