SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 20, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #11,402 of 14,755

Thanks for prompt reply.

The reason I am thinking of Vorzuge Pure II+ is ; I found a second hand one used only for about 20 hours with a very attractive price, 1/3 of PHA 3.

I am sure it is in very good condition, however I do not have the chance to try and test the sound. (the seller is in another town)

Although my OPPO PM2s are  very efficient headphones, I think an amp will help low end  and high tones and improve detail.

PHA 3 is looks very bulky and heavy.

I want to get an amp as transparent as possible, since I like sound character of ZX2 very much.

Thanks and Regards

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #11,403 of 14,755
Thanks for prompt reply.

The reason I am thinking of Vorzuge Pure II+ is ; I found a second hand one used only for about 20 hours with a very attractive price, 1/3 of PHA 3.

I am sure it is in very good condition, however I do not have the chance to try and test the sound. (the seller is in another town)

Although my OPPO PM2s are  very efficient headphones, I think an amp will help low end  and high tones and improve detail.

PHA 3 is looks very bulky and heavy.

I want to get an amp transparent as possible, since I like sound character of XZ very much.

Thanks and Regards

Lol...no PHA-3 is the size of Zx2 (W*L), and is of similar weight only thicker. The best thing is that it has Balanced out, different sound signature to Zx2, yet similar enough. It can be charged while operating, you can stack additional battery pack on top to extend portability and battery time

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #11,405 of 14,755
Just sold my PHA 3 and bought a Chord Mojo.  Couldn't be happier.  I had the opportunity to listen to both extensively, on my JH13 Pro custom IEMS, Audeze LCD 2.2 on-ears, as well as my home audio setup as stand-alone DACs, and the Mojo beats the PHA3 in the areas of sound staging, clarity, low and high frequency separation and reach. It was not a close call.  I do miss the balanced connectors of the PHA3, but as noted by Rob Watts, the designer of the Mojo:

Q. Why doesn't the Mojo have balanced output?
"For the best performance for the design, a single-ended output is best. A balanced output would require double the circuitry and would reduce the objective performance, not increase it. The Mojo can output 5V, which is more than enough to generate up to 120 dB of sound cleanly into most headphones."

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #11,406 of 14,755
Just sold my PHA 3 and bought a Chord Mojo.  Couldn't be happier.  I had the opportunity to listen to both extensively, on my JH13 Pro custom IEMS, Audeze LCD 2.2 on-ears, as well as my home audio setup as stand-alone DACs, and the Mojo beats the PHA3 in the areas of sound staging, clarity, low and high frequency separation and reach. It was not a close call.  I do miss the balanced connectors of the PHA3, but as noted by Rob Watts, the designer of the Mojo:

[COLOR=000000]Q. Why doesn't the Mojo have balanced output?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]"For the best performance for the design, a single-ended output is best. A balanced output would require double the circuitry and would reduce the objective performance, not increase it. The Mojo can output 5V, which is more than enough to generate up to 120 dB of sound cleanly into most headphones."[/COLOR]

For my taste the PHA 3 sounds much much better in balanced mode than the Mojo. Sold the Mojo and kept the PHA3. Couldn't be happier.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #11,407 of 14,755
i am back to the gonemad player , after using extensively the poweramp alpha version

seems to be cleanest and flattest as a player

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #11,408 of 14,755

I could see myself being happy with the PHA3, plugged into the sources and components I have.  A second, extended listening to the Mojo changed that.  I'd urge anyone contemplating purchasing a PHA3 to audition the Chord Mojo as well. 

Just to reflect, there are 77 pages of discussions on the dedicated PHA3 thread that had its beginnings in March 2014.  In comparison, there are 1100 pages of buzz on the Chord Mojo that began 19 months later, in October 2015.  I've never seen a head-fi product generate so much discussion (mostly positive) by so many people in so short a time.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #11,409 of 14,755
I could see myself being happy with the PHA3, plugged into the sources and components I have.  A second, extended listening to the Mojo changed that.  I'd urge anyone contemplating purchasing a PHA3 to audition the Chord Mojo as well. 

Just to reflect, there are 77 pages of discussions on the dedicated PHA3 thread that had its beginnings in March 2014.  In comparison, there are 1100 pages of buzz on the Chord Mojo that began 19 months later, in October 2015.  I've never seen a head-fi product generate so much discussion (mostly positive) by so many people in so short a time.

I personally tried Mojo, and to my preferences, it was no comparison to the PHA-3 with balanced connection, period. Single ended and the Mojo had some good energies and dynamic in it VS the PHA-3.

The one thing for sure is that the PHA-3 needs more than 200 hours to mature and age. My PHA-3 had been burning in for 110 hours, and now the bass, sub bass and dynamic fidelity had been improved dramatically from me using the line out and or headphones compares to when it was 10-15 hours. IMO, Mojo has not this level of separation, and spherical soundstage as the PHA-3 in balanced. Mojo only has better design, power, and single ended connection.

It is understandable when people rather buy Mojo when they don't need balanced connections, or deem balanced is not needed to their own personal preferences. I had went through enough to say that properly configured balanced connection is the best for me and my interests. Both of Sony Zx2, PHA-3 has it :D

i am back to the gonemad player , after using extensively the poweramp alpha version

seems to be cleanest and flattest as a player

And you sir, I see what you did there. Awesome looking, perfect solution for the Zx2 on the go for days....and I am looking at your avatar. Congratulations

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #11,410 of 14,755
I have a Mojo, but since my main OTG headphones these days are the KSE1500, I usually leave it at home. I haven't found a good way to stack it with the KSE DAC and the Sony. I love the long battery life of the ZX2 in analog out mode vs USB. 
I haven't had time to keep up with the Mojo thread. Is it better than the Hugo? I ask because I use Hugo at home.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #11,411 of 14,755
Since you have both you can compare them yourself and get the best possible verdict

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #11,412 of 14,755
I have a Mojo, but since my main OTG headphones these days are the KSE1500, I usually leave it at home. I haven't found a good way to stack it with the KSE DAC and the Sony. I love the long battery life of the ZX2 in analog out mode vs USB. 
I haven't had time to keep up with the Mojo thread. Is it better than the Hugo? I ask because I use Hugo at home.

Mojo is warmer and better for me. They say separation is better for Hugo but mojo has newer improved innards and so far it's very addictive. For times I don't have it paired w the zx2, I use balanced cables but there's a sharp crisp distinction of notes no dap can match mojo yet. Add silver cables and you won't look for anything else for maybe another year or so haha (haven't we heard this before?)

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #11,413 of 14,755
I personally tried Mojo, and to my preferences, it was no comparison to the PHA-3 with balanced connection, period. Single ended and the Mojo had some good energies and dynamic in it VS the PHA-3.

The one thing for sure is that the PHA-3 needs more than 200 hours to mature and age. My PHA-3 had been burning in for 110 hours, and now the bass, sub bass and dynamic fidelity had been improved dramatically from me using the line out and or headphones compares to when it was 10-15 hours. IMO, Mojo has not this level of separation, and spherical soundstage as the PHA-3 in balanced. Mojo only has better design, power, and single ended connection.

It is understandable when people rather buy Mojo when they don't need balanced connections, or deem balanced is not needed to their own personal preferences. I had went through enough to say that properly configured balanced connection is the best for me and my interests. Both of Sony Zx2, PHA-3 has it :D
And you sir, I see what you did there. Awesome looking, perfect solution for the Zx2 on the go for days....and I am looking at your avatar. Congratulations

Hey Whitigir, interested in your view over pha-3 vs cypherlabs duet. Wondering if you've been able to compare their balanced outputs?
I haven't tried the pha-3 but I have the Duet, and I do love it balanced but I have tried stacking it w zx2-mojo-duet and seems redundant I know but there seems to be a slight improvement in note detail..though not a very significant improvement it is there.
it's impossible to try pha-3 balanced though as no one seems to have a balanced connection for auditions.. Which is quite idiotic really when this is what they should be letting people try when they're selling balanced output to people.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #11,414 of 14,755
Mojo is warmer and better for me. They say separation is better for Hugo but mojo has newer improved innards and so far it's very addictive. For times I don't have it paired w the zx2, I use balanced cables but there's a sharp crisp distinction of notes no dap can match mojo yet. Add silver cables and you won't look for anything else for maybe another year or so haha (haven't we heard this before?)

I'll experiment with a bigger stack. The mojo was fine with the UERM, but a 3 device stack feels a bit old school. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #11,415 of 14,755

I have the same setup as you.  I found the mojo or my HUGO with the Sony and KSE amp to awkward to carry.

My solution for a dead simple stack with the Sony and KSE amp involoved:
1.  By the soft rubber form fitted case for Sony Amp (amazon had it for pretty cheap)
2.  Buy an extra leather KSE case (optional)
3.  Use a blade to cut the strap off the back of the Shure amp. 
4.  Apply Scotch Guard Heavy Duty Velcro to both the KSE Amp Case and Sony Case.  The heavy duty Velcro raises the unit so the hump on the back of the sony is no longer an issue. 

I have been using mine this way for weeks and it works perfectly.  I can post a picture if you want.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back