SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 6, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #8,821 of 14,773
  Do they sell it in  stores in Athens,can you provide a link?

call them here and ask when they are gonna have it , i have already called twice 
tongue.gif

210 2828060

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #8,822 of 14,773
With all this gears I find the zx2 is really fine on its own. I came to a point what I bring out is based on how much space I have and when it's just the zx2, I never regret it. Plenty to enjoy on its own or as a transport.

The cdm does work as a amp. I finally found somewhere to build a balanced 3.5 to 2.5 so may try it in the future. But do note the cdm don't really increase the signal volume much, it does add more power and the tube signature to the zx2 sound making it smoother yet with more authority on less efficient headphones.

Mojo is a different affair. To me it's better but some may prefer zx2 more mellow type of signature I guess.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #8,824 of 14,773
  Damnit,it's reading things like these that make me hesitate to pull the trigger,or at least wait for the hype to die down.So many opinions and ears 
blink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/4065
Who knew that X5 was better than ZX2?
biggrin.gif

No, it's not. I bought X5 out of curiousity while I had HDP R10 repaired. SQ couldn't beat R10 which is then beaten by ZX2 

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #8,828 of 14,773
This is too true, but many of headfier love the hype train, and even upgradatis
biggrin.gif
. I am waiting for ZX3 hahaha

Yep.  It's what keeps many of the vendors in business.  Need is not the same as want. 
eek.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #8,829 of 14,773
So regarding the line out dock, I'm assuming it doesn't matter which cable we get, the line-out volume is the same, right?  The volume is soooo low, just wondering if anything can help.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #8,830 of 14,773
Thanks Muscular for your note. I also not understand why it is mentioned by some users the use another external DAC. But i not see any posts mentioning something wrong with this practice and i start to not understand why to buy a zx2 to connect it with an external DAC! As well as several posts mentioning where it is possible to buy special connector for that. So, because i'm start to be confused, I read on many websites and understand as following:
Zx2 its supposed to have the high quality of a hi-end DAC already. In the case of the use of an external DAC, a basic phone do the job and in the case of use with a zx2, the zx2 just become an interface reading the music file as a basic player, but it lost all its particularities of a hi end DAC.
The use of an external amp to amplify the phone signal is diferent because this is connected to the analogic signal,(phone connector) and not to the digital signal as for a DAC. (Of course,each amp have their own sound too and they modify the original signal as the use of diferent headphone, for the best or the worst)
Isn't it?
Sorry for my basic English.
Georges.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #8,831 of 14,773
Thanks Muscular for your note. I also not understand why it is mentioned by some users the use another external DAC. But i not see any posts mentioning something wrong with this practice and i start to not understand why to buy a zx2 to connect it with an external DAC! As well as several posts mentioning where it is possible to buy special connector for that. So, because i'm start to be confused, I read on many websites and understand as following:
Zx2 its supposed to have the high quality of a hi-end DAC already. In the case of the use of an external DAC, a basic phone do the job and in the case of use with a zx2, the zx2 just become an interface reading the music file as a basic player, but it lost all its particularities of a hi end DAC.
The use of an external amp to amplify the phone signal is diferent because this is connected to the analogic signal,(phone connector) and not to the digital signal as for a DAC. (Of course,each amp have their own sound too and they modify the original signal as the use of diferent headphone, for the best or the worst)
Isn't it?
Georges.

My 2 cents - you need external amp or dac/amp if you fall in to these cases 1) the output is low for your headphone or iem of choice. 2) if you don't like the sound signature of the player..

You buy zx2 for sound quality and portability. If you need to amp or dac then there are quite a few transports out there cheaper than zx2.. Zx2 can output analog sound through the wmport or you can get pure digital out to bypass internal dac. Depends on the cable and your needs.. Hope this helps

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #8,832 of 14,773
Isn't it?
Georges.

Pretty much. 

But double amp'ing the signal is perhaps unwise, as u introduce further noise. A well designed amplifier does the job better. You are right to dissect the audio into DAC and AMP.

There's nothing wrong putting the ZX2 throught an external DAC and AMP, but do considered you're making your transport a 1k cost, which something that costs far less can do as good. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #8,833 of 14,773
Thank you for your answer. For me, the zx2 with my westones 4 souds perfect ( i use only flac files). Sometimes i add the Fiio alpen 2 just to amplify the headphone, especially when i use the senheizer HD598 with, because the volume of the zx2 is to low for an opened studio headphone. I not yet test to connect the Fiio as a Dac on the zx2, but the fiio connected with my other material, xperia z phone or surface pro3 computer or the digital audio mixer Roland of my studio,the Dac sound exactly the same, it just decoding the data. So, i am to much happy with the zx2. I rediscover my music. My cowon x7 before sounds well with mp3, not with Flac, and now i will never listen any mp3 again. I waiting years for a good product and sony do the job. Thank you very much for your advices and feedbacks. Georges

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #8,834 of 14,773
I dont know if it is stated anywhere what formatting of sd cards is supported by ZX2 but I had a friend try my unit and plugging in his fat32 formatted 128GB card from his DX50 caused the ZX2 to immediately do a reboot and keep looping on reboot until the card was removed

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #8,835 of 14,773
Thank you for your answer. For me, the zx2 with my westones 4 souds perfect ( i use only flac files). Sometimes i add the Fiio alpen 2 just to amplify the headphone, especially when i use the senheizer HD598 with, because the volume of the zx2 is to low for an opened studio headphone. I not yet test to connect the Fiio as a Dac on the zx2, but the fiio connected with my other material, xperia z phone or surface pro3 computer or the digital audio mixer Roland of my studio,the Dac sound exactly the same, it just decoding the data. So, i am to much happy with the zx2. I rediscover my music. My cowon x7 before sounds well with mp3, not with Flac, and now i will never listen any mp3 again. I waiting years for a good product and sony do the job. Thank you very much for your advices and feedbacks. Georges

I use zx2 with Westone ES5 ciem. The synergy is excellent. I think zx2 can drive all Westone iem's easily and synergy is very good. I turn all the dsp off, no Eq but clear bass set to +2 as ES5 have a lighter bass signature.. Enjoy your ZX2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back