SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7,936 of 14,773

If you have like me "old-school music library", Lossless of course then wait for th ZX100 which removes android and uses walkman OS instead, but if you like streaming services then get this one, yep both are a huge upgrade over a cellphone, even an A17 walkman think sounds better than my xperia M2

i managed to get a used (like new) 3 month old ZX2 for less money than the price a new ZX100

i am old school , zero streaming use and only listen to lossless albums (songs playlists are not how music is supposed to be experienced, kids...) so i simply turn off all the bloatware and enjoy my lossless music

if zx100 sounds like zx1 , then i'd rather have some unused android and the great zx2 sound than the zx1 sound in a new package

just my 2 cents , ofc

oh and gapless works perfectly with FLAC , zero bugs there

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #7,937 of 14,773
I hesitated a long time wondering if it would be a big upgrade over the ZX1 but I just when nuts and got myself a ZX2, to go along with the Earsonics Velvets... oh my I am far from the 100 hours burn-in so I'll reserve a definitive opinion but first impressions... definitely a different category ! The thing that strikes me the most is the depth, decay and overall very subtle details, yum ! I still have to try it with the Z7 and compare against PHA-3 but my first impression after several months with the PHA-3 is that they have quite different characteristics to my ears. I feel like the ZX2 is more "subtle" and has more layers... To be continued but ZX2 + Velvet is a nice match, so far I just went to the tight setting on the Velvet as it's a better match with the ZX2 sound sig I think than the normal setting.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #7,938 of 14,773
  Why, oh why, can't Sony integrate an upgrade that gives us gapless playback?  Is that really asking too much?  Add to that, if you install 3rd party players, the digital out downsamples everything to 44.1/16.

Use flac, alac, wave, aiff and/or Hi-res, dunno for DSD... anyways mp3 on this igh-end dap is waste is like buying a ferrari to run in on congested mexico city streets at 20 km/h or like buying an i7 with 16GB RAM, NVIDIA PC only to be used by a granny surfing the web and reading emails
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #7,939 of 14,773

If you have like me "old-school music library", Lossless of course then wait for th ZX100 which removes android and uses walkman OS instead, but if you like streaming services then get this one, yep both are a huge upgrade over a cellphone, even an A17 walkman think sounds better than my xperia M2

Currently i using an Iphone 6+ as DAP with spotify. Thinking of getting lossless from tidal with ZX-2, but still considering other options as well. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #7,940 of 14,773
The reason i use old-school stand-alone music library is because datarates in mexico are plain silly expensive, so only rich people can pay up those data amouts used by spotify and tidal (or rich wanna be wiht a huge debt trailing behind
biggrin.gif
) and because some of the lossless music i've collected over the years is not available anymore

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #7,941 of 14,773

Currently i using an Iphone 6+ as DAP with spotify. Thinking of getting lossless from tidal with ZX-2, but still considering other options as well. 

Do you have Tidal on your iPhone as well?  Actually sounds great on my iPhone 5.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #7,942 of 14,773
To anyone here who also has Schiit Bifrost, do u think this DAC is worth getting to improve ZX2? or ZX2 alone already surpassed it? Thanks

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #7,945 of 14,773

Do you have Tidal on your iPhone as well?  Actually sounds great on my iPhone 5.

If Tidal is your primary source of music you could get one of the many available amp/dac units that are compatible with i-devices and use your phone as a transport.

It sounds decent out of my S5, but nowhere near as good as music ripped to the ZX2. Once you become accustomed to this expensive audiophile stuff it's difficult to go back.

Nope I using spofify premium currently with my iphone 6+, with fitear 335dw as my iem. Prefer to stick to streaming service like tidal / spotify as my source of music.

So currently i have 2 choice:
1) Getting amp that compatible with iphone with tidal/spotify or
2) change  a DAP that is based on android , which is why currently considering ZX2.

If by adding a amp with iphone can have similar or better sound quality compared to ZX2 then i would prefer to add on a amp to my current iphone. I am also wondering is the sound quality from tidal with ZX2 same as playing flac that is ripped from CD from ZX2. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #7,946 of 14,773

Nope I using spofify premium currently with my iphone 6+, with fitear 335dw as my iem. Prefer to stick to streaming service like tidal / spotify as my source of music.

So currently i have 2 choice:
1) Getting amp that compatible with iphone with tidal/spotify or
2) change  a DAP that is based on android , which is why currently considering ZX2.

If by adding a amp with iphone can have similar or better sound quality compared to ZX2 then i would prefer to add on a amp to my current iphone. I am also wondering is the sound quality from tidal with ZX2 same as playing flac that is ripped from CD from ZX2. 

The main difference here is you are using Tidal app versus stock app which is currently superior to all the third-party apps in the market . Yes there is a difference in SQ
What kind of amp pairing with ip would surpass Zx2 in term of driving iem?

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #7,947 of 14,773
The main difference here is you are using Tidal app versus stock app which is currently superior to all the third-party apps in the market . Yes there is a difference in SQ
What kind of amp pairing with ip would surpass Zx2 in term of driving iem?

^ This. Also ZX2 uses old 4.4 droid which doesn't support high-res, and only stock Walkman app by-pass it. If you want an amp that can sound better than ZX2 ? Go for Chord Hugo :D end of story. I love my ZX2. Portability and studio high res capable.... The only thing I would complain is because of screen size that I always have to stick with bad sound quality in YouTube streaming. But I told myself that ZX2 is only a DAP

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #7,948 of 14,773
i just noticed , music stops playing if you pull out the iems

genius 
gs1000.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #7,950 of 14,773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back