SONY NW-ZX2
May 30, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #5,611 of 14,773
  Sorry about that
cool.gif
.  Yeah, it shows up as yours does...when playing music and hitting the volume. I went to look for it in settings when I wasn't playing music as it doesn't go to landscape (even with the auto rotate box checked) when not playing music at the home screen. Does however rotate to landscape when playing music...

So far I'm enjoying the player, but I need to get some new iem's, it seems, to get more of what's available out of it. I've been using UE10's, which were their top offering January 2007, and while they are decent with a desktop/transportable setup, they just can't be properly driven by the ZX2. Comparing between a simple old micro stack from Headroom and the ZX2, the UE10's have great bass, deep and controlled, and overall excellent authority, and solidity. With the ZX2, they are merely passable, with some material sounding quite good, but for the most part just fairly good. Certainly a step up from the DX90 on it's own, but I know it can be better; listening with my Sennheiser ie800's, I'm able to hear OUTSTANDING resolution on a lot of material, not all of it hirez, but flac at least. I think this combination is quite good, and perhaps good enough for most purposes, but I'm spoiled by the custom molds from my UE's, so I think I'm on the path of picking up a newer pair, as certainly there have been improvements in the last 9 years!

Still, with the ie800's, it really is glaring how much more fuss it is to get a proper seal, and so they stay that way, especially when active. I've actually super glued the tips on these as the way iem's are designed, the tips can (and have on more than several occasions in the now distant past) come off inside your ear canal! I've even had the unpleasant task of changing one of the tips, having to remove a slightly larger tip that had already been glued. I would have replaced both with the slightly smaller size (now that they are glued, I can more freely insert a smaller tip to more easily get a good seal) but the other one is lost somewhere up in the mountains, as one of the aforementioned incidents where a tip came off in ear occurred while hiking over heather, and could not be found...but I digress.

Because of these concerns and more, I'm ready to get a new pair of IEM's, and I'd love to know what the top three consensus ones may be. I see people mention JHAudio monitors for instance, Roxannes. But maybe not Angie's. $2,600.00 is a bit much, given that they are not the 'end all be all' of IEM's, present and future. Steven Rochlan gave some MIGHTY praise for his Noble 10's, notably with the ZX2. The main selling point for me with the ZX2, is that I wasn't quite there with the DX90 (at least unamped, with my meager choices for headphones) and the BATTERY LIFE. I've invested absurd amounts of money (especially relative to my income) into my home rig, so for my portable player, I truly want it to be able to be portable (even use it jogging!) to play music for 18 or more hours and longer if I'm on multi day trips in the backcountry (hiking, camping...). I think the Headroom Microstack sounds great. It sounds better (say with the DX90 feeding the dac/amp stack with digital connection) with the ie800's, than the ie800's and the ZX2. It just goes to show how important proper amping is, I guess. But the Microstack is simply transportable. Certainly it's nothing that I would ever carry with me while hiking or something, and the battery life for the re-chargable  Maha 9 volt batteries is quite paltry, less than 5 hours I'd say. So I LOVE the idea of being able to take really great sound on the go, and I've mostly held off purchasing newer players. I've always wanted one of the top Hifiman players, but again, battery life and size just don't work for my purposes. I like the ZX2, and it's quite good with the ie800's.  Actually it's plenty good for me to justify the purchase, as the resolution is so clear, and sweet, and it can play for days(!) on end, or at least well into the 30's if a lot of hi-rez is on tap, but still; to get sound this good, and it is stunning with the right material, in a one-unit package is sufficient for me and fills my needs. It's just unfortunate to hear the same iem's handled with undeniably more authority, showing me that they are not amped to their potential. But this is the best unit for my needs likely, and I'd like to take it a little further, with the built in benefit of new CIEMS being that I'll have them hopefully for the next ten years.

So any thoughts on the BEST match that folks have found with the ZX2 in terms of CIEM's would be most appreciated. I'm already planning my trip to the audiologist to get my molds made. Though preferably under $2000.

Thanks.

Nathan

Buy the kaizer k10  for zx2,buy the cayin n6 for ie800,sell dx90 and say goodbye to headfi for a couple of years.

May 30, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #5,612 of 14,773
I own the AKG K3003 and it has a low impedance, only 8 ohms. Can the Sony ZX2 drive this pair correctly? Is there anybody with experience in this combo?

May 30, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #5,613 of 14,773
I own the AKG K3003 and it has a low impedance, only 8 ohms. Can the Sony ZX2 drive this pair correctly? Is there anybody with experience in this combo?
Not the exact combo, but the SE846 is a similarly low impedance, and is handled well, plenty of heft / power, but I do suppose it depends on the volume you're used to, it might have grunt but doesn't have that much power...

May 30, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #5,614 of 14,773
Not the exact combo, but the SE846 is a similarly low impedance, and is handled well, plenty of heft / power, but I do suppose it depends on the volume you're used to, it might have grunt but doesn't have that much power...

My portable chain is the FiiO X5 + FiiO E12DIY. The X5 alone has enough power but not the same full sound as the additional amp. I think i'll go the risky way and order the ZX2 to try it. The description about the sound quality makes me a little bit nervous and i want have it.

May 30, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #5,615 of 14,773
I realised that I used the same word (power) in both a positive and negative manner there, how you got me, but am out at the moment, so if clarity is needed,leave that with me until I'm home.

May 30, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #5,616 of 14,773
I did it as well, and had to replace it for my ocd kicked in, the joyday SP is very good and also reasonably priced.
Try the bathroom tip, by steaming up the room first to the point of misty mirrors, then go in and clean the screen with mediswab first, then wait for it to dry 5 Min, use a lint free cloth, not the little rubbish thing supplied with the protector.
Using this technique gives a dust free application, like magic.

May 30, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #5,617 of 14,773
I ordered the player just now. Hope it will arrive on monday. Short time to wait but ...

May 30, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #5,620 of 14,773
Agreed!

Seeing that it is practically double the price of the previous model, we only want one company to have that philosophy

May 30, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #5,622 of 14,773
Looks like ZX100 should be made in Malaysia as usual

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=gEaIqYUj3jRm4TDUn8T2fg%3D%3D&fcc_id=AK8NWZX100

SVD8oCt.jpg

May 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #5,623 of 14,773
  Looks like ZX100 should be made in Malaysia as usual

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=gEaIqYUj3jRm4TDUn8T2fg%3D%3D&fcc_id=AK8NWZX100

SVD8oCt.jpg

what is the zx100 is it a new flagship dap 

May 30, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #5,625 of 14,773
  Most likely that's gonna be announced in September as the successor of ZX2

http://mdblog9000.blogspot.com/2015/05/sonyifa2015walkmanazx.html

oh boy it seems flagship daps do not stay on their crown for longer than few months before being overthrown by another 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back