SONY NW-ZX2
May 29, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #5,597 of 14,773
If the z3 turns out to be a good player I plan on getting the pha3 amp to use with it. Right now I'm using the Fiji e18 dac/amp but want something more powerful.
Don't forget that the PHA3 is deskbound (or is that just the EU version, I get so confused with regional variances!!)

May 29, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,599 of 14,773
As a separate point, whilst awaiting meeting up with OK-Guy, something I've just spotted that might indicate EU volume limiting - for anyone who does NOT have an EU ZX2, if the unit is in landscape mode, and you adjust the volume does the 'master' (top) volume bar stretch right across the window? - mine doesn't, only goes about 4/5 of the way across (the bottom two volume bars go right the way across, but the top bar falls a bit short)...

If this is the same on non-EU versions, then fair enough, but this looks to be either a limit, or a really odd decision by Sony not to have the volume bars lined up correctly.

...I suppose this is better explained with a picture - as below:

...Oops, realised that (by the clock on the image) it is 2am, I need to be up at 6... damnit for keeping me awake!!

I suspect mine is a non eu but how do you determine that? Mine does the same thing.

May 29, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,602 of 14,773
Only the pha3 European model got crippled with no battery, the rest of the world got a battery.

Wonder why Sony bothered releasing it in Europe at all, I wouldn't think many of them got sold like that.

But what's interesting is why is Sony doing this to this harm to themselves by crippling good products for sale in Europe.
I don't see iriver or fiio killing their products with ridiculous and lame disabled output stages.
So why are these company's able to sell these devices? And Sony can't?

May 30, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #5,605 of 14,773
I just purchase a Sony experia z3 to use as a player only. I know it can do much of what the zx2 can do but without the amp. What else does the zx2 have on the z3? I have spotify so I'm assuming I can do streaming.

Also, I used Sony bridge to bring my iTunes playlists over to z3, but it seemed to have converted my alac m4a files to something that takes up less space? What did it convert to?

It has been discussed long before between z3 and zx2.....z3 wouldn't even come close to zx2 not just without the amp....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/737108/sony-xperia-z3-audio-quality/240#post_11355615
The only things you could get on Z3 is ClearSound+ and HX DSEE , those are sound enhancements /eq thing that I never turn on on my zx2

May 30, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,607 of 14,773
I suspect mine is a non eu but how do you determine that? Mine does the same thing.

Mrmax, purely by where you bought the player from... Although if you're on the EU / Asia border then wouldn't know!

I can confirm that the Australian stock with no cap, also has the same master volume range.

Thanks audioxxx :)

May 30, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #5,608 of 14,773
Sorry about that
cool.gif
.  Yeah, it shows up as yours does...when playing music and hitting the volume. I went to look for it in settings when I wasn't playing music as it doesn't go to landscape (even with the auto rotate box checked) when not playing music at the home screen. Does however rotate to landscape when playing music...

So far I'm enjoying the player, but I need to get some new iem's, it seems, to get more of what's available out of it. I've been using UE10's, which were their top offering January 2007, and while they are decent with a desktop/transportable setup, they just can't be properly driven by the ZX2. Comparing between a simple old micro stack from Headroom and the ZX2, the UE10's have great bass, deep and controlled, and overall excellent authority, and solidity. With the ZX2, they are merely passable, with some material sounding quite good, but for the most part just fairly good. Certainly a step up from the DX90 on it's own, but I know it can be better; listening with my Sennheiser ie800's, I'm able to hear OUTSTANDING resolution on a lot of material, not all of it hirez, but flac at least. I think this combination is quite good, and perhaps good enough for most purposes, but I'm spoiled by the custom molds from my UE's, so I think I'm on the path of picking up a newer pair, as certainly there have been improvements in the last 9 years!

Still, with the ie800's, it really is glaring how much more fuss it is to get a proper seal, and so they stay that way, especially when active. I've actually super glued the tips on these as the way iem's are designed, the tips can (and have on more than several occasions in the now distant past) come off inside your ear canal! I've even had the unpleasant task of changing one of the tips, having to remove a slightly larger tip that had already been glued. I would have replaced both with the slightly smaller size (now that they are glued, I can more freely insert a smaller tip to more easily get a good seal) but the other one is lost somewhere up in the mountains, as one of the aforementioned incidents where a tip came off in ear occurred while hiking over heather, and could not be found...but I digress.

Because of these concerns and more, I'm ready to get a new pair of IEM's, and I'd love to know what the top three consensus ones may be. I see people mention JHAudio monitors for instance, Roxannes. But maybe not Angie's. $2,600.00 is a bit much, given that they are not the 'end all be all' of IEM's, present and future. Steven Rochlan gave some MIGHTY praise for his Noble 10's, notably with the ZX2. The main selling point for me with the ZX2, is that I wasn't quite there with the DX90 (at least unamped, with my meager choices for headphones) and the BATTERY LIFE. I've invested absurd amounts of money (especially relative to my income) into my home rig, so for my portable player, I truly want it to be able to be portable (even use it jogging!) to play music for 18 or more hours and longer if I'm on multi day trips in the backcountry (hiking, camping...). I think the Headroom Microstack sounds great. It sounds better (say with the DX90 feeding the dac/amp stack with digital connection) with the ie800's, than the ie800's and the ZX2. It just goes to show how important proper amping is, I guess. But the Microstack is simply transportable. Certainly it's nothing that I would ever carry with me while hiking or something, and the battery life for the re-chargable  Maha 9 volt batteries is quite paltry, less than 5 hours I'd say. So I LOVE the idea of being able to take really great sound on the go, and I've mostly held off purchasing newer players. I've always wanted one of the top Hifiman players, but again, battery life and size just don't work for my purposes. I like the ZX2, and it's quite good with the ie800's.  Actually it's plenty good for me to justify the purchase, as the resolution is so clear, and sweet, and it can play for days(!) on end, or at least well into the 30's if a lot of hi-rez is on tap, but still; to get sound this good, and it is stunning with the right material, in a one-unit package is sufficient for me and fills my needs. It's just unfortunate to hear the same iem's handled with undeniably more authority, showing me that they are not amped to their potential. But this is the best unit for my needs likely, and I'd like to take it a little further, with the built in benefit of new CIEMS being that I'll have them hopefully for the next ten years.

So any thoughts on the BEST match that folks have found with the ZX2 in terms of CIEM's would be most appreciated. I'm already planning my trip to the audiologist to get my molds made. Though preferably under $2000.

Thanks.

Nathan

May 30, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #5,609 of 14,773
Well, PRF-NWH40 screen protector now on, but my absolute OCD is kicking in that there is a tiny bit of something sandwiched in between it and the screen, right next to the next track button on the below image...

...on the bright side though, was able to keep the hi res sticker :)

On a complete off topic, so looking forward to going to see Jenn Bostic on Wednesday :)

May 30, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #5,610 of 14,773
Well, PRF-NWH40 screen protector now on, but my absolute OCD is kicking in that there is a tiny bit of something sandwiched in between it and the screen, right next to the next track button on the below image...

...on the bright side though, was able to keep the hi res sticker :)

On a complete off topic, so looking forward to going to see Jenn Bostic on Wednesday :)

Ok mine seems to be a japan unit as the box and manual were dual language english and japanese. Also got it locally.

I can relate and its gonna be hard not thinking about that speck. Good luck on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back