SONY NW-ZX2
May 28, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #5,566 of 14,773
I use quarter volume with my westone ES5 and it is already loud at that point .. This is for both Mp3 and 16/44 FLAC files. For DSD it is even lower than that .. I don't think i have even reached 50% volume ever on ZX2. I think it is matter of impedance .. On Um3X i use nearly 40% of the volume . ES5 has 20 ohm impedance and um3x i believe has 32 ohm

PS : Also i was talking about master volume..i have set the media volume to about 80% that allows me to have master volume at 25%.. Not sure how your system was set

Sony recommend having the media vol at 100% pal.

May 28, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #5,570 of 14,773
The highest capacity microSD card now is the Sandisk 200 GB.  I think full size SD cards go up to 500 GB; but it will probably be another 5 years at least before technology is able to shrink 500 GBs down to fit on a microSD card.  

May 28, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #5,571 of 14,773
  The highest capacity microSD card now is the Sandisk 200 GB.  I think full size SD cards go up to 500 GB; but it will probably be another 5 years at least before technology is able to shrink 500 GBs down to fit on a microSD card.  

No company has released a 500GB SD card, but a few has released 512GB, for a micro sd to reach 512GB it will only take a few years, I don't think 5 years is needed.

May 28, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #5,572 of 14,773
Good to know. Thanks for posting the result!

yw. However the first library scan with having so much music (internal + 200 µSD) is close to 8 minutes... with the first 7 having the progress bar stagnating at 0%. Scary stuff 
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #5,573 of 14,773
I sold my AK240 yesterday. While I loved the synergy with my Roxanne's the fact that it didn't offer Tidal implementation was something I couldn't look past. I know there's quite a few ex/current AK240 owners who bemoan this lack of functionality. This was the only reason I pulled the trigger on the ZX2. 

Clearly the ZX2 takes a while to settle down. I'm finding the highs just a touch forward and the whole experience not quite as resolving as the AK240 in terms of seperation. What's fascinating though is that PRAT straight out of the box is on par, if not marginally ahead of the AK240.
I look forward to burning the unit in over the coming days past the 100 hours recommended by Sony and in turn have the tonality start to settle. 

Already though I'm thrilled with my decision. I'm a music lover first and an audiophile second. This is the reason why I pay $AU20 for Tidal. Being able to listen in offline mode to Lossless music on the ZX2 is what a great customer experience sounds like. 

It's frustrating that the AK continue to pump out new products at the expense of giving their existing customers what they want now i.e. Tidal functionality etc. 

May 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5,574 of 14,773
  I sold my AK240 yesterday. While I loved the synergy with my Roxanne's the fact that it didn't offer Tidal implementation was something I couldn't look past. I know there's quite a few ex/current AK240 owners who bemoan this lack of functionality. This was the only reason I pulled the trigger on the ZX2. 

Clearly the ZX2 takes a while to settle down. I'm finding the highs just a touch forward and the whole experience not quite as resolving as the AK240 in terms of seperation. What's fascinating though is that PRAT straight out of the box is on par, if not marginally ahead of the AK240.
I look forward to burning the unit in over the coming days past the 100 hours recommended by Sony and in turn have the tonality start to settle. 

Already though I'm thrilled with my decision. I'm a music lover first and an audiophile second. This is the reason why I pay $AU20 for Tidal. Being able to listen in offline mode to Lossless music on the ZX2 is what a great customer experience sounds like. 

It's frustrating that the AK continue to pump out new products at the expense of giving their existing customers what they want now i.e. Tidal functionality etc. 

Nice impressions.  I love how the new AK players sound since they are so smooth, natural, effortless, and supremely clear.  However, while they sound very transparent, they definitely don't have the best low end impact on their players.

Glad to see you sold your AK240 so fast since it was definitely priced very fairly.  Curious to hear some more impressions once you listen to the ZX2 a bit longer since this DAP has been on my radar for a while.

May 28, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #5,575 of 14,773
I'm extremely tempted to sell my AK240 as well. I love the zx2 and it's streaming capabilities. I do prefer the smoothness of the UI of the AK240 and also the looks of the 240. Both are truly incredible players, it'd a very difficult decision in which to keep. I'm very lazy, and hesitate to sell my AK240, I can easily return the zx2...very tough decision for me.

May 28, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #5,576 of 14,773
I'm extremely tempted to sell my AK240 as well. I love the zx2 and it's streaming capabilities. I do prefer the smoothness of the UI of the AK240 and also the looks of the 240. Both are truly incredible players, it'd a very difficult decision in which to keep. I'm very lazy, and hesitate to sell my AK240, I can easily return the zx2...very tough decision for me.

Flip a coin!  Then once you get a result, depending on how you feel, you should know which one you really want to keep. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5,577 of 14,773

Flip a coin!  Then once you get a result, depending on how you feel, you should know which one you really want to keep. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny.  I'm in the same boat.  I am finding that I am using the ZX2 far more than my AK240.  The later has slightly better SQ but the ZX2 has greater functionality and pair reasonably well with my Layla.  Decisions, decisions . . . 

May 28, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #5,578 of 14,773
So, I've got a question. The PHA3 paired with the ZX2 offers balanced output via dual 3.5" outs, but I've read that the ZX2 by itself also offers balanced out capability, if you have a 3.5" TRRS terminated cable. Is that correct, or am I missing something here? I'm initially planning on just getting the ZX2 for my IEMs, and only thinking of pairing it with the PHA3, etc if really warranted.

May 28, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #5,579 of 14,773
So, I've got a question. The PHA3 paired with the ZX2 offers balanced output via dual 3.5" outs, but I've read that the ZX2 by itself also offers balanced out capability, if you have a 3.5" TRRS terminated cable. Is that correct, or am I missing something here? I'm initially planning on just getting the ZX2 for my IEMs, and only thinking of pairing it with the PHA3, etc if really warranted.

From post #5408 "It doesn't have balanced out. It can use a TRRS because it has R and L grounds and there is a little improvement in sound."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back