SONY NW-ZX2
May 18, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #5,371 of 14,773

search for bic camera, they have it in Chinese or English it's a coupon for tax free + 6% off, not just for ZX2.

Seems like a standard offer even without the coupon? I bought mine from Yodobashi with tax free + 6% for Visa card owners without a coupon in March this year.

this is without a credit card, at least you don't have to search around for discount if you are in a rush.

May 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #5,372 of 14,773
this is without a credit card, at least you don't have to search around for discount if you are in a rush.

So if you want to use a credit card the discount doesn't apply?

May 18, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #5,373 of 14,773

So if you want to use a credit card the discount doesn't apply?

I think it makes no differences, some places have 8% + 5% and some with 8% + 6%, it depends on what credit cards you use, I think BIC is already cheaper than most places before the discount.

May 18, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #5,374 of 14,773
https://www.facebook.com/biccamera.english
The coupon is directly on the main page left side. She did pay with a credit card.
I've no clue if the pricing of the zx2 is even across all Bic stores. I had given her all the details about the calmer big 8 floor store at Akasaka-Mitsuke per advice of @chilledunit.
Now I got my fingers crossed she gets the opportunity to find a Noble Savant UF :p

May 19, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #5,377 of 14,773

I noticed the lack of power right away.  My Hugo drove LCD2 and LCD3 easily.  In fact, it drove HD800, LCD3 and TH900 at the same time and all my friends were impressed how commanding the Hugo presented appalachian spring.  That was really impressive.

That said, very early I loved how the ZX2 presented female vocals.  Roberta Flack was buttery, smoldering and near, never too close.  Unlike the Hugo where I heard difference in presentation going from stock USB2 to AQ Diamond cords, I can't with the ZX2.  That will have to wait.

Currently, I am seriously considering adding the Sony MDR-Z7 and Sony PHA3 amp as many in these forums say they work very nicely with the ZX2.  What you think?

I ruled out the Hugo in favour of the PHA-3 after comparing the two. The PHA-3 in balanced mode with the LCD-3 was very close indeed to the Hugo in terms of performance, dynamics, soundstage etc and it is a LOT cheaper. But as I am in the UK, I had to order it from Japan to get a "battery" version. I am not sure why you would want the PHA-3 in addition to the Hugo though? With the PHA-3 you would effectively be bypassing the expensive ZX2 DAC and amplifier, and just using it as a digital media centre which could equally well be done on any Android device. I believe the MDR-Z7 is sensitive enough to run directly off the ZX2 as well. The reason I got the PHA-3 was to use my LCD-3 with my ZX2 when I didn't want to use IEMs...I use the ZX2 with AKG K3003s and the PHA-3 with LCD-3s about a 50/50 split.

May 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,378 of 14,773
I am a little disappointed in the speed of the UI of the zx2. Seems very close in performance of the zx1. Opened up a browser the other day, and just typing a url bogs down the input. Still thoroughly enjoying the sound however.

May 19, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #5,379 of 14,773
I am a little disappointed in the speed of the UI of the zx2. Seems very close in performance of the zx1. Opened up a browser the other day, and just typing a url bogs down the input. Still thoroughly enjoying the sound however.

Both have the same CPU dual core and 1 GB ram.

May 19, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #5,380 of 14,773
I don't own the ZX2, but on my ZX1, I disabled a lot of the built in Google apps that weren't being used, but were taking up CPU cycles as they ran in the background.  This made a noticeable difference on my ZX1 responsiveness and even improved battery life.  I find the UI speed to be just a tad slower than my iPhone 5S, which is plenty fast enough for me just listening to music and such.  I don't use my ZX1 for much else.

May 19, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,383 of 14,773

I ruled out the Hugo in favour of the PHA-3 after comparing the two. The PHA-3 in balanced mode with the LCD-3 was very close indeed to the Hugo in terms of performance, dynamics, soundstage etc and it is a LOT cheaper. But as I am in the UK, I had to order it from Japan to get a "battery" version. I am not sure why you would want the PHA-3 in addition to the Hugo though? With the PHA-3 you would effectively be bypassing the expensive ZX2 DAC and amplifier, and just using it as a digital media centre which could equally well be done on any Android device. I believe the MDR-Z7 is sensitive enough to run directly off the ZX2 as well. The reason I got the PHA-3 was to use my LCD-3 with my ZX2 when I didn't want to use IEMs...I use the ZX2 with AKG K3003s and the PHA-3 with LCD-3s about a 50/50 split.

I'm not sure about the driving power of the Hugo but the PHA-3 is really great with lower to medium impedance phones.  I have great success with my Sony MDR-Z7 & SA5000 all the way to the HD800 (not optimum really).  The PHA-3 does struggle to drive the Audeze EL-8 but it is still good but not great.  I recent compared iDSD Micro with the PHA-3 and the PHA-3 is a better sounding amp over all especially in term of refinement, details presentation and soundstage. The midrange is also sweeter sounding out of the PHA-3.  I think we have a lot to thank to the ESS9018 DAC here.  The iDSD micro was better at driving harder to drive phones such as the EL-8.  Both amps seem to drive the HD800 equally well.

May 19, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #5,384 of 14,773
  I'm not sure about the driving power of the Hugo but the PHA-3 is really great with lower to medium impedance phones.  I have great success with my Sony MDR-Z7 & SA5000 all the way to the HD800 (not optimum really).  The PHA-3 does struggle to drive the Audeze EL-8 but it is still good but not great.  I recent compared iDSD Micro with the PHA-3 and the PHA-3 is a better sounding amp over all especially in term of refinement, details presentation and soundstage. The midrange is also sweeter sounding out of the PHA-3.  I think we have a lot to thank to the ESS9018 DAC here.  The iDSD micro was better at driving harder to drive phones such as the EL-8.  Both amps seem to drive the HD800 equally well.

Interesting you found it struggling to drive the EL-8. I wouldn't want to run the LCD-3 on a "single ended" connection with the PHA-3 but in balanced mode there was more than enough oomph there.

May 19, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #5,385 of 14,773

i once demo at the office driving HD800, LCD3 and TH900 at the same time with my Hugo.  Listening from Bach Toccata & fugue to Stairway to Heavens with three of my impressed coworkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back