SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 5, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #32 of 14,755
I can't wait for it to come out.  However, it is way too pricey though.  Highend portable gears are no longer budget friendly.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #34 of 14,755
already over cnet live blog waiting
popcorn.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 14,755
  Like to think the extra cost will be going into the sound quality and not to justify on their part sd cards or bigger memory.

Totally agree. Sony did not live up to their own hype with the ZX1. It sounds peculiarly sterile and 'polished' to me. When I watch a computer-animated movie (Pixar, etc.), some of the characters are 3D-rendered so accurately that they almost look realistically life-like, but the skin detail and facial features are slightly too 'smooth' and 'perfected', and thus don't fool the viewer into believing they are actually real live-action-filmed actors. The ZX1 sounds, to me, like an aural equivalent of this. I know of no other DAP that sounds like that, and I expect better for the premium pricetag.

Looks like it retains it's bulge for amp section but to me it is not good looking at the ZX1 and actually looks from those shots not such a premium model and could be mistaken for a F model with the finish.  

I love the build quality of the ZX1, and the way it looks like it is carved/hewn out of a solid slab of aluminium, with classy buttons that are a masterclass in ergonomics. Sadly, the ZX2 looks like a step backwards, but I can overlook this if they make the ZX2 sound substantially better than the ZX1s unconvincing presentation.

Sony should get rid of WMport but i know they won't.

I have to agree on that!

I really hope Sony up their game with the ZX2, and they damn well better, at that price. Interested to see how this plays out...

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #37 of 14,755
I'll just leave this here:

http://gizmodo.com/sony-walkman-reborn-again-as-a-1200-hi-res-audio-han-1677643981

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #39 of 14,755
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX63PfhqyEA

woah, the back is real leather this time lol. But it seems the ZX2 is just a ZX1 with more features, and same sound quality, video confirms ZX2 is using same S Master HX as ZX1
mad.gif
. ZX2 has leather back, leather case,[size=12.7272720336914px] micro sd and [/size]bigger battery than ZX1, ZX1 is rated at 35 hours, ZX2 is rated at 60 hours .

ZX2 is still running the old power inefficient android 4.2 same as ZX1, same 4 inch screen, both have aluminium frames, both 128gb storage, both have wifi, nfc etc. They do mention a gold plated copper chassis in the video, could be talking about the PCB, and they mention high quality solder. Not sure if the ZX1 uses the same PCB and solder or not, but I would guess it would. 

Sounds like the insides are the same between ZX1 and ZX2. Sony are just going for a money grab with the ZX2... Double the price of the ZX1 for some leather, micro sd and double bigger battery. Makes me lose some respect for Sony. But still not at the level of disrespect of AK, but too close for comfort lol!

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #41 of 14,755
If it offers no more acoustic realism than the ZX1, and no more driving power than the ZX1, then it deserves no more money than the ZX1.

Why pay more money for silly gadgets like NFC?

May as well just buy a standard gadget-filled mainstream cellphone and use it for music playback.

Don't get me wrong - I would like to see Sony up their game with the ZX2.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #43 of 14,755
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX63PfhqyEA

Sounds like the insides are the same between ZX1 and ZX2. Sony are just going for a money grab with the ZX2... Double the price of the ZX1 for some leather, micro sd and double bigger battery. Makes me lose some respect for Sony. But still not at the level of disrespect of AK, but too close for comfort lol!

Thanks for the youtube link, and (if the main audio board is essentially the same) I agree with your above remarks.

Some relevant screengrabs from that youtube video:

I appreciate the general ergonomics, but the updated buttons look like a potential dust-trap:

MicroSD card slot is explicitly mentioned in the video, but here's further, visual, confirmation, and yeah...like we all expected, the WMPort has been retained:

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #44 of 14,755
specs (subject to change LOL)

NW-ZX2
Memory capacity
128 GB
External memory
microSD (card not included)
Key features
High-Resolution Audio playback, S-Master HX Digital Amplifier, DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine), ClearAudio+, Clear Bass, Equaliser, VPT, one-touch listening via NFC and Bluetooth® connectivity
Compatible audio formats
MP3, WMA1, FLAC (192KHz/24bit), Linear PCM (192KHz/24bit), WAV (192KHz/24bit), AAC-LC2, HE-AAC, Apple Lossless (192KHz/24bit), AIFF (192KHz/24bit), DSD (2.8MHz, 5.6MHz)*1: Copyright protected WMA files cannot be played back.*2: Copyright protected AAC-LC files cannot be played back
Battery life
MP3 up to 60 hours**(MP3 128kbps)
Hi-Res Audio 33 hrs**(FLAC 192kHz/24bit)
Charging time
Approximately 4.5 hours
Operating platform
Android™ 4.2
Display
4.0 inch FWVGA (854×480) TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile
Communication mode
Wi-Fi® (IEEE 802.11b/g/n/a)
Bluetooth®
Bluetooth® (A2DP/AVRCP/OPP/HID/SPP)Supported Codec: SBC/LDAC
NFC
Yes
Included applications
Media Go (for Windows), Content Transfer for Mac (for Mac OS)
Dimensions
65.1×131.2×18.5 mm (WxHxD, excluding max. protruding section)
Mass
Weight: Approx. 235 g
Accessories
USB cable, leather carrying case, spacer (headphones not included)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back