SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 19, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,301 of 14,772
Guys, i just read about the irresponsive side keys on some units.
Is this something i should mention to Kaneda @ PriceJapan to check before they ship?
Thanks

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,302 of 14,772
Guys, i just read about the irresponsive side keys on some units.
Is this something i should mention to Kaneda @ PriceJapan to check before they ship?
Thanks

The side keys will only respond to the music player app....if you have other programs running, say YouTube, the side keys will not work. But as long as you can ask them to, why not ? Is always good to be on the safe side.

Through a few posts here, I would ask them to check if using the side keys to change tracks, such actions may produce noise up on pressing the keys to the next song ?

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #3,304 of 14,772
I didn't have time to post, and keep on forgetting, does the ZX2 use android default music player or is Sony's own music player, when member keep posting about default music app, it getting me confused.:joy:

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #3,305 of 14,772
Really enjoying my replacement zx2. This morning I spotify a new album, hassle free, then DNLA another album I had the urge to listen to but did not have on the player.
Before I sent the first one back to Sony I checked both cases that were included. The new case was much too tight so I sent that one back and kept the old one. Didn't think there would be a difference between case fit but there is. Took quite a bit of effort to get the ZX2 in and out of the case. I think I will be buying the custom case as well off ebay even though it's going to be fairly expensive with US exchange right now. Probably $140 Canadian. Even though I mostly use the player at home I've already dropped it once, sans case, and I don't want this to happen again. I could use the included case but it is too much of a hassle to take the player out of it every time I want to change the music.

Question: on my first ZX2 when I plugged it into the PC I got a long list of folders that showed up. With my replacement I only have a short list of three or four folders and the music folder was not even there. I had to make one. Everything works fine but I'm just wondering why one player had a huge list of folders including movies , podcasts, etc. and the new one didn't show any of these folders.

On the standard case - my first few weeks found it very tight but now with month of being in the case most of the time you can pull it out without too much hassle.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3,307 of 14,772
Man, I'm going in circles to or not to get PHA-3 with Balanced Kimbler MDR-Z7 for home use with the Z2....

How much better can it get compared with Fostex TH900 (which is what I currently have with a DAC/AMP that does up to 24/96.)
The mdr z7 works pretty well with the z2. It doesn't really need the pha-3 to achieve good sound. It is also able to drive the z7 up to decent volume levels but not to very loud levels. So if you don't listen to your music too loudly then you don't really need the extra amp.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #3,308 of 14,772

Your wish is my command. Just did a 'quick and dirty' photo-shoot from various angles of the case. You can click on the images to see larger ones if you want. Scroll down a bit on the page / link below and added a brief description of the case as well. Always glad to be of service.

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Your wish is my command. Just did a 'quick and dirty' photo-shoot from various angles of the case. You can click on the images to see larger ones if you want. Scroll down a bit on the page / link below and added a brief description of the case as well. Always glad to be of service.

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

It's definitely a nice case. Thanks much for taking time to post!

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #3,310 of 14,772
The mdr z7 works pretty well with the z2. It doesn't really need the pha-3 to achieve good sound. It is also able to drive the z7 up to decent volume levels but not to very loud levels. So if you don't listen to your music too loudly then you don't really need the extra amp.

Still, that might be the case, but it is never good to be having an amp go all out as that is when dangerous clipping happens. I have read of a JBL speaker tech who discussed that more damage is done by under-powered speakers than by having amps that are more powerful. That is why I passed on the Z2 and opted to get a PHA 3 to drive my A17. I would have preferred the Z2 for many reasons, but being primarily a music playing device for me I just couldn't live with a device where I needed the amp at full almost all the time and there is no way that the Z7 for modern listening styles will not tax the Z2 (unless you like quiet playback).

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #3,311 of 14,772
  So I received my ZX2 today from Crutchfield.
I only listened to it for a few minutes as I'm loading music but it sound better than my A-17.
I'm using some JH16s and the clarity so far is good but looking forward to DAP opening up for an expanded soundstage.

As most have said, the build quality is very solid and on the heavy side but like the footprint.
It has lots of applications installed and don't really care for them as I only want to use this for music.
I'm new to Android and have to get familiar with OS.

Stay tuned!

So after about 15 hours of burn in, it has definitely opened up and it's a very sweet sound with a wider soundstage.
I'm really happy with my purchase and no buyers's remorse at all. I can wait until it has 100 hours as I think it will get better if that's even possible.

I've never heard my JH 16s sound this good before. The bass is impactful, deep, controlled, and very tight. The pairing with the JH 16s is top notch. The ZX2 has definitely tamed the bass on the JH 16s.

As an owner of the AK 120 and A17, to my ears, the ZX2 is on another level. I demoed the AK 240 when it came out and as far as I can remember,  to my ears, the ZX2 sounds better.

Some words to describe what I'm hearing are:

1. very detailed 
2. great instrument separation 
3. The  highs are not harsh
4. Nice tight bass
5. I can sense emotion in the music which is something I've never experienced with my other DAPs
6. Wider soundstage
7. Refined sound

I think the case it's ok with the way I listen to my music. I listen to complete albums and don't have a need to look at screen often. 
Having said this, I like the flip case which I'll eventually get.

For those of you on the fence about getting the ZX2, take the plunge and you'll be rewarded with an awesome sounding DAP.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3,312 of 14,772
So after about 15 hours of burn in, it has definitely opened up and it's a very sweet sound with a wider soundstage.
I'm really happy with my purchase and no buyers's remorse at all. I can wait until it has 100 hours as I think it will get better if that's even possible.

I've never heard my JH 16s sound this good before. The bass is impactful, deep, controlled, and very tight. The pairing with the JH 16s is top notch. The ZX2 has definitely tamed the bass on the JH 16s.

As an owner of the AK 120 and A17, to my ears, the ZX2 is on another level. I demoed the AK 240 when it came out and as far as I can remember,  to my ears, the ZX2 sounds better.

1. very detailed 
4. Nice tight bass
5. I can sense emotion in the music which is something I've never experienced with my other DAPs
6. Wider soundstage
7. Refined sound

I think the case it's ok with the way I listen to my music. I listen to complete albums and don't have a need to look at screen often. 

For those of you on the fence about getting the ZX2, take the plunge and you'll be rewarded with an awesome sounding DAP.

How does it compare to A-17?

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,313 of 14,772

1. very detailed 
4. Nice tight bass
6. Wider soundstage
7. Refined sound

Yes, I'm on the fence here cause I want to know if the sony has a true line out (analog) so I can plug it into my home rig. Waiting for enlightenment on this ....

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,314 of 14,772
Yes, I'm on the fence here cause I want to know if the sony has a true line out (analog) so I can plug it into my home rig. Waiting for enlightenment on this ....

I was under the impression that the ZX2 (and other Walkman products) did have line out capability, but you need to purchase/make a WM-port to 3.5mm cable in order to use it.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3,315 of 14,772

Users who are viewing this thread

Back