SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #3,317 of 14,772
For musicality the ZX2 will be ahead of most or maybe even all daps. Here's a comparison of AK120ii and ZX2 with the same conclusion:

http://personalaudio.ru/detail/audiopleer_sony_walkman_zx2_v_sravnenii_c_sony_walkman_zx1_i_astell_kern_ak120_ii/

"
Sony surprising with a combination of a high detail and vibrant temperament, through which the emotional content of any work is brought to hearing in a very convincing manner."

"Astell & Kern takes technicality, Sony - incendiary drive.

Whose approach to prefer?

In the process of listening we have failed to identify a clear leader.

It remains to choose based on personal musical preferences.
 You want to a
nalyze sound?

Pay attention to the Astell & Kern. You
 want to hear emotion?

Refer to Sony."

"ZX2 provides superiority in terms of price to quality, works his price tag two hundred percent.
 W
e were conquered by the musical emotion of this player a
nd his design with an all-metal casing and delicious roundness on the sides."

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,318 of 14,772
Need advice. I'm currently using HDP R10 with modified firmware (smooth UI, responsive), battery life is about 9,10 hours , using mainly with JH13FP. Should i spend over 1k for NW-ZX2? is it worth upgrading, big step-up etc? Thanks

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #3,319 of 14,772
He must be a brother from another mother over in Russia. :grin:

For musicality the ZX2 will be ahead of most or maybe even all daps. Here's a comparison of AK120ii and ZX2 with the same conclusion:

http://personalaudio.ru/detail/audiopleer_sony_walkman_zx2_v_sravnenii_c_sony_walkman_zx1_i_astell_kern_ak120_ii/

"[COLOR=4D4D4D]Sony surprising with a combination of a high detail and vibrant temperament, through which the emotional content of any work is brought to hearing in a very convincing manner."[/COLOR]

"Astell & Kern takes technicality, Sony - incendiary drive.
[COLOR=4D4D4D] [/COLOR]
Whose approach to prefer?
[COLOR=4D4D4D] [/COLOR]
In the process of listening we have failed to identify a clear leader.
[COLOR=4D4D4D] [/COLOR]
It remains to choose based on personal musical preferences.
[COLOR=4D4D4D] You want to a[/COLOR]
nalyze sound?
[COLOR=4D4D4D] [/COLOR]
Pay attention to the Astell & Kern. You
 want to hear emotion?
[COLOR=4D4D4D] [/COLOR]
Refer to Sony."

"ZX2 provides superiority in terms of price to quality, works his price tag two hundred percent.
[COLOR=4D4D4D] W[/COLOR]
e were conquered by the musical emotion of this player a
nd his design with an all-metal casing and delicious roundness on the sides."

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #3,320 of 14,772
How does it compare to A-17?

The A-17 is a ver capable DAP and I'm happy with it due to it's small size and long batter life.
To my ears the sound signature is very similar but the main difference a detailed, wider soundstage with great instrument separation.
The sound is very clean and drives my JH16s with authority. It makes them sing for sure.

As I said, I'm able to pick up emotion in the music. 

I hope this helps!

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #3,322 of 14,772
Anyone in AU interested in getting the ZX2 for around AUD$1,400 (including DHL shipping) i can try help to get one and ship it to you. But it'll be a Malaysian warranty.
Only limited to 1 person.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3,323 of 14,772
just quote it from other thread, hope someone find it useful

kkcc said:
Have been lurking and not posting much lately, but I just spent three days with a friend's 200hrs+ ran-in zx2 and isn't seeing the hype from the folks on the zx2 thread. Tempted to post my impressions on the thread but why derail the hype train!
wink.gif

Seriously, zx2 does sound nice and I think a huge step up from zx1 (wasn't a big fan of the zx1 sound). Gone are the somewhat brittle and lean zx1 sound that often felt artificial to me, and despite the low rates power it does drive my c/iems adequately (could always use more power).

However, in the pure SQ pecking order, I would rate zx2 along with ak100ii and clearly below Hugo/hm901/paw gold/ak240. I would put the zx2 below the ak120ii/calyx M too. Didn't had a Flow or ARM2, and never spent enough time with P1 to comment on these. My biggest gripe against the zx2's sound (with all "enhancements" turned off) is that it still isn't as transparent as I would like, and lacks the note weight/attack to reproduce proper instruments timber. I find it pairs better with thicker sounding IEM like tg334/1964ears v8 than a more transparent one like an UERM/1plus2.

The strength of the zx2 is really the android /w playstore support, as well as battery life when used standalone. I had been forever looking for a "serious" Spotify dap (ideally with 4G support on top of wifi). Zx1 for me really excited but fell way short in sq. Zx2 improved the sound, but still some ways before it can displace my better DAPs and is way bigger/heavier than zx1. And most importantly, the deal breaker might as well be due to another sony dap - A17, which sounded very nice and have a similar signature to zx2, not unlike how F887 made it difficult to pay a premium for the zx1. I just hope Sony will put this S-master HX on their Z series phone.

Really wanted to like the zx2 but guess I will pass and see what Sony do next.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,324 of 14,772
  just quote it from other thread, hope someone find it useful

I have the AK100II and they are in no way, IMO, in the same league. The ZX2 is better in all ways. I also have the 901 and the Hugo. It isn't as good as the Hugo but with regards to transparency, it is right up there with the best I have. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #3,325 of 14,772

I have the AK100II and they are in no way, IMO, in the same league. The ZX2 is better in all ways. I also have the 901 and the Hugo. It isn't as good as the Hugo but with regards to transparency, it is right up there with the best I have. 

Someone said it's better than AK240, is that even true? is it already better than AK120ii?

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #3,326 of 14,772
I'm roughly around 60 hours in with burning in and the music is starting to open up more... Tight bass, very musical sounding ie great euphonics and ability hear details. The single biggest thing I love is that the highs are NOT harsh and shrilly, something I loved about my Z7 as it gives me the ability to turn the volume up and not get my ears blown and hairs standing from being too shrilly!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back