SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,271 of 14,773

You can buy anything now, no matter where you live, that's if you have the money to spend.

True, yet good luck getting a TVR properly VIN'ed in the USA. Even Bill (Gates) could not get his special Porsche into the USA many years ago. Would love me a Tuscan for the road / HPDE track events. Right-hand drive, of course. Apologies, cars are another 'addiction' of mine
biggrin.gif

I still love the classic porsches 959, and the BMW I3.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,272 of 14,773

Your wish is my command. Just did a 'quick and dirty' photo-shoot from various angles of the case. You can click on the images to see larger ones if you want. Scroll down a bit on the page / link below and added a brief description of the case as well. Always glad to be of service.

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Glad you agree with my comments about the case. You can see in a way why it isn't bundled. It is clearly a very expensive case to produce. However, I am sure you will agree, you wouldn't want to bend the flap back against the bottom of the case.......so it's not quite as easy to hold/use as some mobile phone cases

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,273 of 14,773
  I have stumbled upon an "interesting review" of the ZX2 on the internet and am shocked about the comments this guy is making. Here is the full review: http://nimblechapps.com/technology/sony-walkman-nw-zx2-to-buy-or-not-to-buy/

And here are some funny quotes:

These quotes make me think that this guy probably never gave the ZX2 a listen and is simply poking fun at the DAP because of the hefty price tag. And I don't understand why he thinks that a run-of-the-mill smartphone can keep up with the ZX2 in terms of sound quality.

look at any Android sites, reviews are pretty much the same.  they see things different, that's why

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #3,274 of 14,773
that what happens when an ignorant doesn't even know what was holding in his hands and what exactly he is reviewing !!

He does say some positive things but I totally understand this kind of review. He is the MAJORITY. My wife loves music but laughs at my purchase of zx2. She uses a moto e with cheap earbuds and has ZERO problems with it. It's a lot of money for something that can't make calls, is heavy and big, has outdated android, and must be protected like a Rolex or you will suffer extrme anguish. I already dropped mine once and almost had a heart attack. Most people don't care about this level of audio quality, most people are not musicians or hi end enthusiasts and they are happy with 128 bit streaming off phones or even radio! My wife is the only person at her workplace that does not own an iPhone.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #3,275 of 14,773
ok you love your baby and hate anybody who criticizes it, like a reasonable human identifying a little too much with his gears. but do you really need to ruin that guy with cheap unrelated blows and insult anybody who likes rap in the process? let's breath an relax a sec.

the guy in the blog obviously doesn't care about audio specs, he just talks about practical stuff from the eyes of a smartphone/geeky toys user. can't say I see much lies in what he wrote here. it's obviously a non audiophile vision, but a vision still.
"Nowadays who needs a standalone device only for music?" well most of us on headfi do, but what's that to the billions of people listening to music with a cellphone or not listening at all outside of the house? let's not pretend that we're the human standard here.
who needs a big storage? that can be important for some as it can be not so important for others(I can perfectly function with a 16gb DAP for one, but I won't cry if I get more obviously ^_^).
the android version may have a good reason behind that choice, but you can't blame the guy for finding that ludicrous when even sony's very own phones will have a more up to date android.
again I'm not in a good place to talk about that, as I don't use a smartphone(not enough battery), my tablet is ON only in planes to watch movies, and I really wouldn't care what android version was on my DAP. but calm down you defense mechanism a little and admit that many people are not us and can find those stuff important and relevant.
a 1000$ phone that doesn't phone, doesn't have the latest android, and doesn't actually have more power output than a phone for your headphone. that's not an unreasonable way to look at the ZX2.

and until I see some measurements, the superiority of the sound is still a very subjective argument. and I don't even trust my own subjective opinion on sound quality. I do on music, not on sound quality.

What I meant was not to defend. i would defend my country and family, but not a cheap walkman. Now what I meant was

If you are a reviewer, and a critic, please do review in your own specialized category. Would you listen to a Boat critics vs A racer critic on a Car ? ZX2 is a walkman, and is not a phone.

It is just wrong on so many level to have a phone critic to review a device dedicated to audio and sound quality, and more importantly...not a phone.

Quoted:
"If you are a billionaire who is not afraid to shell out a thousand bucks for a piece of device for a task which your phone can actually do betteR"

I actually commented there and ask of him to show me a phone which can do music better than ZX2 in only soundstage and render the depth better than ZX2...will see how he answer it. I for once am very interested to see of such a phone with this caliber of music play back and can make a phone call itself as well.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #3,276 of 14,773
Really enjoying my replacement zx2. This morning I spotify a new album, hassle free, then DNLA another album I had the urge to listen to but did not have on the player.
Before I sent the first one back to Sony I checked both cases that were included. The new case was much too tight so I sent that one back and kept the old one. Didn't think there would be a difference between case fit but there is. Took quite a bit of effort to get the ZX2 in and out of the case. I think I will be buying the custom case as well off ebay even though it's going to be fairly expensive with US exchange right now. Probably $140 Canadian. Even though I mostly use the player at home I've already dropped it once, sans case, and I don't want this to happen again. I could use the included case but it is too much of a hassle to take the player out of it every time I want to change the music.

Question: on my first ZX2 when I plugged it into the PC I got a long list of folders that showed up. With my replacement I only have a short list of three or four folders and the music folder was not even there. I had to make one. Everything works fine but I'm just wondering why one player had a huge list of folders including movies , podcasts, etc. and the new one didn't show any of these folders.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3,277 of 14,773
Glad you agree with my comments about the case. You can see in a way why it isn't bundled. It is clearly a very expensive case to produce. However, I am sure you will agree, you wouldn't want to bend the flap back against the bottom of the case.......so it's not quite as easy to hold/use as some mobile phone cases

Thanks for your 'review' and yes the one I got off eBay is soooo much better imho. Put the stock case back in the box and it'll probably remain there for, well, forever. Thanks for the advanced review, you are soooo right! Ok, $100 aint cheap, yet considering how much the NW-ZX2 will be on the road with me, in the car, etc, the case will protect her nicely. Thanks again, as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

PS: The bits to install the NW-ZX2 into the car should arrive today. Will be soldering in the Kimber silver wires to this (fouth) solution to hook into the car's infotainment/control module. This way it'll be as 'pure' as I can make it without modding the darn $$$ head unit in the car, which you can not swap out because it controls the AirCon, ride height, Nav, Radio, etc.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3,278 of 14,773
Thanks for your 'review' and yes the one I got off eBay is soooo much better imho. Put the stock case back in the box and it'll probably remain there for, well, forever. Thanks for the advanced review, you are soooo right! Ok, $100 aint cheap, yet considering how much the NW-ZX2 will be on the road with me, in the car, etc, the case will protect her nicely. Thanks again, as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

PS: The bits to install the NW-ZX2 into the car should arrive today. Will be soldering in the Kimber silver wires to this (fouth) solution to hook into the car's infotainment/control module. This way it'll be as 'pure' as I can make it without modding the darn $$$ head unit in the car, which you can not swap out because it controls the AirCon, ride height, Nav, Radio, etc.

:D Look like quiet a bit of modification and works will be put here ! Take a lot of pictures :wink:....and ouch, another ZX2 coming your way eh :D

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3,279 of 14,773
does someone know if the ZX-2 that are sold in France or in Belgium will have the "infamous" Volume cap implemented ?

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,280 of 14,773
does someone know if the ZX-2 that are sold in France or in Belgium will have the "infamous" Volume cap implemented ?

According to Steve interview, and the respond. I would think that it would be. Only the Japan version will have no volume cap.

Thank you Steve for this wonderful as always battle of the Titans

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,282 of 14,773
According to Steve interview, and the respond. I would think that it would be. Only the Japan version will have no volume cap.

Don't think the Singapore version I have has a volume cap. Never saw a warning ever plus the box says for export/tourist only, not for use in Japan.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,283 of 14,773

Do you have a link for the eBay seller you used? If my commercial sewing machine was back together I would make my own but it isn't so I would like something much better than the stock case. I see the case you mention on eBay but not the better price.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,284 of 14,773
Do you have a link for the eBay seller you used? If my commercial sewing machine was back together I would make my own but it isn't so I would like something much better than the stock case. I see the case you mention on eBay but not the better price.

My source is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-WALKMAN-ORIGINAL-OEM-OFFICIAL-LEATHER-CASE-CKL-NWZX2-B-for-NW-ZX2-/221719400532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339f819054

$99+ ship and was brand new in factory box/etc just like if you got it from Sony directly. The box was well packed in bubble wrap too.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,285 of 14,773
  ok you love your baby and hate anybody who criticizes it, like a reasonable human identifying a little too much with his gears. but do you really need to ruin that guy with cheap unrelated blows and insult anybody who likes rap in the process? let's breath an relax a sec.

the guy in the blog obviously doesn't care about audio specs, he just talks about practical stuff from the eyes of a smartphone/geeky toys user. can't say I see much lies in what he wrote here. it's obviously a non audiophile vision, but a vision still.
"Nowadays who needs a standalone device only for music?" well most of us on headfi do, but what's that to the billions of people listening to music with a cellphone or not listening at all outside of the house? let's not pretend that we're the human standard here.
who needs a big storage? that can be important for some as it can be not so important for others(I can perfectly function with a 16gb DAP for one, but I won't cry if I get more obviously ^_^).
the android version may have a good reason behind that choice, but you can't blame the guy for finding that ludicrous when even sony's very own phones will have a more up to date android.
again I'm not in a good place to talk about that, as I don't use a smartphone(not enough battery), my tablet is ON only in planes to watch movies, and I really wouldn't care what android version was on my DAP. but calm down you defense mechanism a little and admit that many people are not us and can find those stuff important and relevant.
a 1000$ phone that doesn't phone, doesn't have the latest android, and doesn't actually have more power output than a phone for your headphone. that's not an unreasonable way to look at the ZX2.

and until I see some measurements, the superiority of the sound is still a very subjective argument. and I don't even trust my own subjective opinion on sound quality. I do on music, not on sound quality.

It is not about loving a "toy", it is about accurate reporting, which after reading his comments he does a poor job of. If you are going to report on a DAP then report on it as a dap, not as something compared to a phone and other devices. Some people like to make statements just to get attention and to present themselves as knowledgeable and in this case, he appears to lack the knowledge of what he is talking about. He doesn't do any readers a service but he can act like a guru of information, which overlooks the attributes of a product that is able to convey music in a realistic manner and does it much better, IMO, than most of the products on the market and that is what is important. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back