SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 2, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #2,296 of 14,755
So, after having burned in the ZX2, I've found that pairing it with my MDR-7550's is absolutely excellent (to my ears). But, I find myself with a new "problem".

You see, the moment I opened the package on the 7550s, I realized that they were way too delicate for portable use. For that, I still have my 5-year-old Shure SE115s. They are built like a freaking tank. BUT, switching between them and the 7550s does make for a somewhat jarring experience. I find myself mentally saying, 'Aw! That's a shame' when listening to the 115s now.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pair of good (sonic) quality IEMs, that have a reputation for durability? Something that might pair nicely with the ZX2? Preferably dynamic driver-based. And under $300 USD.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser IE80s. I've come across more than one account that praise their durability—and wide sound stage. Both of which are huge pluses in my book.

Well....depends on what you like ? I like the fx750 for a while.....but I guess I am asking for a bit more

Fx750 is very organic, and realistic timbres and tonality, articulated bass, weight and impacts and attacks are superb, vocals shine beautifully with ZX2, string instruments are correctly identified as you can tell between violin, guitars...and more guitars....etc....cymbals is beautifully resonating. I would not call highs to be analytical, but rather full body, smooth, and detailed....sound signature is more musical and warm.

The only thing I dislike from it is the bass quality and quantity...it is too powerful....I would like less bass and keep the rest :mad:

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #2,297 of 14,755
So, after having burned in the ZX2, I've found that pairing it with my MDR-7550's is absolutely excellent (to my ears). But, I find myself with a new "problem".

You see, the moment I opened the package on the 7550s, I realized that they were way too delicate for portable use. For that, I still have my 5-year-old Shure SE115s. They are built like a freaking tank. BUT, switching between them and the 7550s does make for a somewhat jarring experience. I find myself mentally saying, 'Aw! That's a shame' when listening to the 115s now.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pair of good (sonic) quality IEMs, that have a reputation for durability? Something that might pair nicely with the ZX2? Preferably dynamic driver-based. And under $300 USD.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser IE80s. I've come across more than one account that praise their durability—and wide sound stage. Both of which are huge pluses in my book.

I have the ex800st, and I do agree with you, It feels fragile whiles on the move, it's the same with my ex600 as well.

I don't have the zx2 yet, but using these on my iPod and phone sounds good, I even changed the cable from the supplied one to the EX1000 one on both pairs, there is a increase in SQ especially the bass.

On the move I'm using the XBA3, excellent SQ.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #2,298 of 14,755

Aurisonic Rockets. They're amazingly good, IE800-range. Way cheap for what you get. And built like a tank.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,299 of 14,755
I hope they can do something about the line out. I have two amps that I like to use and with any phone that needs more power, like the HD650, even my home amp doesn't have enough volume as there is too low a voltage out from the line out of the ZX2. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2,300 of 14,755
The only thing I dislike from it is the bass quality and quantity...it is too powerful....I would like less bass and keep the rest
mad.gif

Yeah me too, all the JVC FX series have too much bass, I'm thinking about doing the two mods to reduce bass on FX750 and FX1100.

Quote:
  I hope they can do something about the line out. I have two amps that I like to use and with any phone that needs more power, like the HD650, even my home amp doesn't have enough volume as there is too low a voltage out from the line out of the ZX2. 

I hope so too. The Sony's have a unique SQ from their line out, but as you say, the voltage is very low, maybe Sony can increase the S-Master volume setting for the line out, or even better, allow the volume to be adjustable through the line out.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #2,301 of 14,755
  Amazon U.S. is now listing the NW-ZX2 (domestic version) with a ship-date of 3-5 weeks.  Should be much sooner judging by my experience with PHA-3.  I'll report back as I made an order.

Here's the link: http://amzn.to/1BPSflS

Hi, Head-Fiers,
It is also coming soon  on B&H Photo store in NY as well as online .this store is great, thanks
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1126542-REG/sony_nwzx2blk_hi_res_digital_music_walkman_128gb.html

this is the best one as far as I am enjoying
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KENWOOD-In-Ear-Headphones-HA-FX850

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #2,302 of 14,755
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #2,303 of 14,755
For some reason I have no sound coming out of my ZX2. Is there a mute function? It shows the music playing and the volume a little over midway but no sound out of the line out or HO.

I had to reset it again, the 2nd time in 3 days. ??

This hunch us based on my experience with the ZX1, but possibly worth checking: with the screen on, if you change the volume up or down, the pop up window shows the master volume, but directly below that it says 'Music, video, games, & other media'. Is that bar set to full?

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #2,305 of 14,755
  Sorry had a bit of a busy weekend, and forgot that I did indeed get a reply.
It was not of much use however, as they seem to have given me a blanket response telling me to contact the sales team, to which I thought my original email was directed, seeing as I had done it through their support form :s

I didn't get a chance to email using the address provided, but I will do so today.
I'm hoping that the 9th March date you were given is not the case!

EDIT: Just noticed that the Amazon UK Pre-order page now says 'Temporarily Out of Stock' :s

Sony UK website now showing a pre-order date of 24th-25th March for new orders! Let's hope they haven't shifted all the existing pre-orders to that date.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #2,308 of 14,755
I personally do not pursue prices on ebay, b&h photo etc. The price of ZX2 is falling fast, and it is right now $980 if you take a look at prices in Japan via using kakaku engine. 

It is probable that we may have a darn beautiful ZX2 for about $900 in summer time. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #2,309 of 14,755
I personally do not pursue prices on ebay, b&h photo etc. The price of ZX2 is falling fast, and it is right now $980 if you take a look at prices in Japan via using kakaku engine. 

It is probable that we may have a darn beautiful ZX2 for about $900 in summer time. 

That's great as it puts tremendous pressure on all other dap manufacturers. Consumer wins!!! iRiver should be sweating bricks

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #2,310 of 14,755

Yeah me too, all the JVC FX series have too much bass, I'm thinking about doing the two mods to reduce bass on FX750 and FX1100.

I hope so too. The Sony's have a unique SQ from their line out, but as you say, the voltage is very low, maybe Sony can increase the S-Master volume setting for the line out, or even better, allow the volume to be adjustable through the line out.

To all those that have mentioned JVC, thank you!

I honestly never gave them much thought, as I usually only see their super-low end stuff, packaged near the checkout line of retail shops. I had no idea the FX 7xx, 8xx and 11xx lines existed.

The 850 looks a little more beefy than the 750. I'm happily reading up on both right now. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back