SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 27, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,071 of 14,773
Feb 27, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,072 of 14,773
Thanks for confirming this. So i'm guessing the EX series will be powerful sounding with ZX2. I use the Ex300/500 while lying in bed as the higher models havee the ear hook and make it uncomfortable. Although not considered audiophile iems, they sound amazing with trance/electronic music.
I use the 7550s and I have yet to encounter a track where I needed to exceed what looks to my eye like the 45% mark on the volume slider.

On top of that, I've long been a proponent of non-destructively altering the volume of my music. Basically, back-in-the-day, when I was using DAPs without dedicated volume controls, I got sick and tired of constantly blowing out my ears, or futzing with the UI to increase/decrease volume. So I began using mp3Gain to normalize all of my tracks to around 94dB. I've continued that tradition by using ReplayGain on my FLACs. Consequently, I'm probably turning up the volume slider a bit more than most people, as very few tracks/albums clock in at such a low gain.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,073 of 14,773
How do you safely remove the SD card without turning the ZX2 off?

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2,074 of 14,773
More SQ impressions, please!

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2,075 of 14,773
How do you safely remove the SD card without turning the ZX2 off?

Just take it out....if when out back in and it doesn't read, go to setting...mount sd card

More SQ impressions, please! 
normal_smile%20.gif

Only 70 hours here :).... Still is going

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #2,077 of 14,773
Is it true that you need to disable Sound Enhancements each time you reboot? The disabled setting is not retained?

Yes, just make sure you Re-enable it before reboot, so you have the ability to Disable it again!

Also I am listening to "leavin-freekwen z" 98/192 vs a high def version in YouTube 320kbp MP3 I guess....if somebody can't clearly hear the differences here, they are either deaf or have no clues

Basically what differences here were the extensions and the instruments resonances....i say extensions here not as the meaning of a decay respond from the earphones drivers ....but rather it is the vibrations power of the drums....like when you hit it once, the power will extend from strongest....gradually weakened....and you will hear the resonances inside the housing with it too. Now if you don't know what I am talking about, go to "Toy R Us" and demo a toy drum :xf_eek:

And the impact power of the drums beats are lower as well over all....I will soon in the future do some more testing between formats....but now I am back into my enjoyments of how ZX2 is changing while burning in :D

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,078 of 14,773
Yes, just make sure you Re-enable it before reboot, so you have the ability to Disable it again!

Also I am listening to "leavin-freekwen z" 98/192 vs a high def version in YouTube 320kbp MP3 I guess....if somebody can't clearly hear the differences here, they are either deaf or have no clues

Basically what differences here were the extensions and the instruments resonances....i say extensions here not as the meaning of a decay respond from the earphones drivers ....but rather it is the vibrations power of the drums....like when you hit it once, the power will extend from strongest....gradually weakened....and you will hear the resonances inside the housing with it too. Now if you don't know what I am talking about, go to "Toy R Us" and demo a toy drum
redface.gif

And the impact power of the drums beats are lower as well over all....I will soon in the future do some more testing between formats....but now I am back into my enjoyments of how ZX2 is changing while burning in
biggrin.gif

Yes, but is that a difference in mastering (most likely) or actual resolution difference? That's the thing a lot of people mix up. Hi-res versions are a lot of the time from different masters than the redbook version. So then of course it sounds different :)

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2,079 of 14,773
Yes, but is that a difference in mastering (most likely) or actual resolution difference? That's the thing a lot of people mix up. Hi-res versions are a lot of the time from different masters than the redbook version. So then of course it sounds different :)

Yes, that is the reason why I said I would test it futher as I have all the tools to down convert the same file later. I will also ABX testing as well. One thing I am almost sure is 320kps vs 16/44.1 cd quality has distinctive differences.

I am not too sure about 16/44.1 vs high resolutions though....but most likely the differences will be in the same places, maybe more blurry, but probably similar....

Now I am back to enjoying my ZX2 :D

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,081 of 14,773
I don't get the sound enhancement. Unless I check mine, it is always unchecked. When I check Dynamic Normalizer the sound is louder. 

Using an external amp with the IC I made. Nice. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #2,083 of 14,773
I don't get the sound enhancement. Unless I check mine, it is always unchecked. When I check Dynamic Normalizer the sound is louder. 

Using an external amp with the IC I made. Nice. 

The sound will always be louder when you check Dynamic Normalizer. Don't mistake Sound enhancement, it is called "Sound Adjustment" it is the app next to the Music app. Remember to open it up and tick the Dynamic Normalizer before you disable this app in setting

Also if you use Dynamic Normalizer, there will be so heavy clipping or...distortion....in some songs, and it is ugly...I don't like that. You will not have the problem if you just disable the sound adjustment all together.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,084 of 14,773

Yes, that is the reason why I said I would test it futher as I have all the tools to down convert the same file later. I will also ABX testing as well. One thing I am almost sure is 320kps vs 16/44.1 cd quality has distinctive differences.

I am not too sure about 16/44.1 vs high resolutions though....but most likely the differences will be in the same places, maybe more blurry, but probably similar....

Now I am back to enjoying my ZX2
biggrin.gif

Well, comparing lossless vs. mp3 is a different sort of comparison as comparing lossless Redbook (CD quality) vs. lossless hi-res.

MP3 is a compressed format, so it will actually leave out some of the original source data, kind of like viewing a low-quality JPEG where you can see that sometimes several pixels are turned into one big block because the colors are sort of similar, so the compression algorhythm groups them to save space (ie. compresses it). Same with MP3, it's an approximation of the original source, and the higher the compression ratio (as in, the lower the bitrate), the more it will start approximating what the original source material sounds like. I can obviously tell the difference between 128kbps and FLAC, at 192kbps it becomes a bit more difficult, and at 320kbps I don't hear any obvious differences (but I intend on doing a double blind test soon to determine that for myself once and for all).

But redbook vs. hi-res is very different, in the sense that hi-res (in theory) approaches the original waveform more closely. For every second of sound, there are more samples that make up that second of sound vs. Redbook (hence why 44khz or 96khz is called a sample-rate). The debate is though whether humans have hearing that's good enough to hear the difference.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #2,085 of 14,773
Regarding lossless vs Highresolution . Sony claims " even though the human hearing is within 20-20khz , but when listening to musics with high resolutions capable devices, they can feel the differences!"

Infrasound....below 20hz .... People reported anxiety....feeling haunted....despite not able to tell the sounds

Psychologist Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire thinks that the odd sensations that people attribute to ghosts may be caused by infrasonic vibrations. In 1998, Vic Tandy, experimental officer and part-time lecturer in the school of international studies and law at Coventry University, and Dr. Tony Lawrence of the psychology department wrote a paper called "Ghosts in the Machine" for the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. Their research suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings. Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing.

The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vice. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly. Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[36] This was why Tandy had seen a ghostly figure—it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which caused the vibration of the foil.[37]

Tandy investigated this phenomenon further and wrote a paper entitled The Ghost in the Machine.[38] Tandy carried out a number of investigations at various sites believed to be haunted, including the basement of the Tourist Information Bureau next to Coventry Cathedral[39][40] and Edinburgh Castle.[41][42]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Also Sonar...higher than 20khz ...will give the feeling of being endangered......the military already is using some of these devices to disperse groups of people ? It can also kill....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brenda-peterson/killing-with-sound_b_2744864.html

There are no noise-cancelling headphones to stop the U.S. Navy's 235-decibel pressure waves of unbearable pinging and metallic shrieking. At 200 Db, the vibrations can rupture your lungs, and above 210 Db, the lethal noise can bore straight through your brain until it hemorrhages that delicate tissue. If you're not deaf after this devastating sonar blast, you're dead.

So high resolution is not a marketing placebo for sure :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back