SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,086 of 14,773
Oh common......don't tease me this now....unless it is 2000$ then I won't mind

Most people want the package for the flip case, who knows, third party flip case or even copies of the original Sony will be available at a fraction of the price sooner or later.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,087 of 14,773

Yes, but is that a difference in mastering (most likely) or actual resolution difference? That's the thing a lot of people mix up. Hi-res versions are a lot of the time from different masters than the redbook version. So then of course it sounds different
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, that is the reason why I said I would test it futher as I have all the tools to down convert the same file later. I will also ABX testing as well. One thing I am almost sure is 320kps vs 16/44.1 cd quality has distinctive differences.

I am not too sure about 16/44.1 vs high resolutions though....but most likely the differences will be in the same places, maybe more blurry, but probably similar....

Now I am back to enjoying my ZX2
biggrin.gif

Is there any tools to convert CD to FLAC 16/48 or higher, also what is the quality like for WAV and AIFF, are there any differences.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #2,088 of 14,773
Is there any tools to convert CD to FLAC 16/48 or higher, also what is the quality like for WAV and AIFF, are there any differences.

CD quality max resolution is 16/44.1. Now if you up convert it...there won't be any differences.

Bluray and DVD tracks max resolution is 16/48. Some bluray has 24/96 but rarely....and some 24/192 is like....I don't see them yet, unless you buy these off Hdtracks or something....or Vynil Rips.

Yes, there are tools to convert and rip out Audio tracks from Bluray video and Music....same as DVD

****16/48**** is considered Highresolution by Sony, you will see "HR" icon on ZX2

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #2,089 of 14,773
Just take it out....if when out back in and it doesn't read, go to setting...mount sd card
Only 70 hours here :).... Still is going

I did that once too often and it corrupted the SW on my ZX2 and I had to restore it. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,091 of 14,773
CD quality max resolution is 16/44.1. Now if you up convert it...there won't be any differences.

Bluray and DVD tracks max resolution is 16/48. Some bluray has 24/96 but rarely....and some 24/192 is like....I don't see them yet, unless you buy these off Hdtracks or something....or Vynil Rips.

Yes, there are tools to convert and rip out Audio tracks from Bluray video and Music....same as DVD

****16/48**** is considered Highresolution by Sony, you will see "HR" icon on ZX2

I think the minimum is 24/44.1 or 24/48.  16/48 does not activate the "HR" logo on my ZX1.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #2,092 of 14,773
I have some CD recorded in 24bit, if I convert this to FLAC, will I retain the 24bit or will it just convert to 16/44.1

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,093 of 14,773

Just take it out....if when out back in and it doesn't read, go to setting...mount sd card
Only 70 hours here :).... Still is going

I did that once too often and it corrupted the SW on my ZX2 and I had to restore it. 

You can sometime kill your card, or lock the card with no way to restore it.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #2,094 of 14,773
I think the minimum is 24/44.1 or 24/48.  16/48 does not activate the "HR" logo on my ZX1.

I will do this experiment tonight and snap a picture for you :D...since I was ripping Bluray tracks I did once 16/48 and it shown HR icon...but my files in the Zx2 is 16/198 lol....don't ask me why...I am greedy, and I want the highest format possible lol

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,095 of 14,773
I have some CD recorded in 24bit, if I convert this to FLAC, will I retain the 24bit or will it just convert to 16/44.1

If it was recorded 24 bits, it will stay there. The programs will display original formats from the source, and give you the options to rip into different formats. I will make a thread in how to rip your own high resolution tracks tonight, if I have time :D

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,096 of 14,773

I will do this experiment tonight and snap a picture for you
biggrin.gif
...since I was ripping Bluray tracks I did once 16/48 and it shown HR icon...but my files in the Zx2 is 16/198 lol....don't ask me why...I am greedy, and I want the highest format possible lol

what software do you use, I only have the EAC and max is 16/44

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,097 of 14,773
Feb 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,098 of 14,773
Regarding lossless vs Highresolution . Sony claims " even though the human hearing is within 20-20khz , but when listening to musics with high resolutions capable devices, they can feel the differences!"

Infrasound....below 20hz .... People reported anxiety....feeling haunted....despite not able to tell the sounds

Psychologist Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire thinks that the odd sensations that people attribute to ghosts may be caused by infrasonic vibrations. In 1998, Vic Tandy, experimental officer and part-time lecturer in the school of international studies and law at Coventry University, and Dr. Tony Lawrence of the psychology department wrote a paper called "Ghosts in the Machine" for the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. Their research suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings. Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing.

The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vice. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly. Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[36] This was why Tandy had seen a ghostly figure—it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which caused the vibration of the foil.[37]

Tandy investigated this phenomenon further and wrote a paper entitled The Ghost in the Machine.[38] Tandy carried out a number of investigations at various sites believed to be haunted, including the basement of the Tourist Information Bureau next to Coventry Cathedral[39][40] and Edinburgh Castle.[41][42]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Also Sonar...higher than 20khz ...will give the feeling of being endangered......the military already is using some of these devices to disperse groups of people ? It can also kill....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brenda-peterson/killing-with-sound_b_2744864.html

There are no noise-cancelling headphones to stop the U.S. Navy's 235-decibel pressure waves of unbearable pinging and metallic shrieking. At 200 Db, the vibrations can rupture your lungs, and above 210 Db, the lethal noise can bore straight through your brain until it hemorrhages that delicate tissue. If you're not deaf after this devastating sonar blast, you're dead.

So high resolution is not a marketing placebo for sure
redface.gif

Sure, but hi-res is not the same as the frequencies the human ear can hear.

The human hearing range is approx 20Hz - 20,000Hz (20KHz). Regardless of the format of music you're listening to, that's all you're gonna hear. 

CD-quality music has a sample-rate of 44.1KHz. That doesn't mean that you'll hear frequencies up to 44,100 Hz, or that those are even recorded. Just that for every second of sound, 44,100 samples are recorded to reproduce that 1 second of sound. At 96KHz, 96,000 samples are recorded per second, and so on and so forth. Still you'll only hear 20Hz - 20,000Hz. You are not going to magically hear more frequencies because it's hi-res. It only means that more samples are recorded per second.

See this image (courtsey of the Sony website):

As you can see in this very exaggerated drawing done by Sony, the 192KHz sampled file has a smoother waveform, approaching the original more closely than the 44.1 KHz file. In reality, 44.1KHz is already very smooth so relatively speaking the differences are small.

But again, I want to stress that sample-rate does *not* equal the actual frequencies you can hear.

It's kind of like going from a 22 megapixel camera to a 25 megapixel camera. Sure it's higher resolution, but it's hard to notice. And the colors will not suddenly be brighter or more intense, it's all just the same, just slightly higher resolution.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #2,100 of 14,773
Sure, but hi-res is not the same as the frequencies the human ear can hear.

The human hearing range is approx 20Hz - 20,000Hz (20KHz). Regardless of the format of music you're listening to, that's all you're gonna hear. 

CD-quality music has a sample-rate of 44.1KHz. That doesn't mean that you'll hear frequencies up to 44,100 Hz, or that those are even recorded. Just that for every second of sound, 44,100 samples are recorded to reproduce that 1 second of sound. At 96KHz, 96,000 samples are recorded per second, and so on and so forth. Still you'll only hear 20Hz - 20,000Hz. You are not going to magically hear more frequencies because it's hi-res. It only means that more samples are recorded per second.

See this image (courtsey of the Sony website):

As you can see in this very exaggerated drawing done by Sony, the 192KHz sampled file has a smoother waveform, approaching the original more closely than the 44.1 KHz file. In reality, 44.1KHz is already very smooth so relatively speaking the differences are small.

But again, I want to stress that sample-rate does *not* equal the actual frequencies you can hear.

All if not most microphones can record upto 40khz, and in reality instruments sound waves and frequencies does exceed 20khz regardless of you being able to tell or not. A bigger drum will give out that impact pressures and the low resonances much more than a smaller one.....hence Japan will only brand anything headphones wise being high resolution if it can have the respond at the least of 40khz

Now, being able to record more samples in the same time frame, in fact may or possible to let you capture some of these resonances in the instruments housing....I mean a drum with a housing made of wood will resonate differently than the drum with housing made of metal :D....everything else being the same.???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back