SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 26, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,923 of 14,773
Strange behavior. Turned it off last night by powering down. This morning, turned it on and went into music selection screen,which showed for one second before briefly displaying message 'cannot access while connected to usb', then it started rebuilding the library. ????

2:36 hours usage. Battery down to 73%. I see 'device idle' using 26% of the battery.. (It's been on for over two hours, while the zx2 has only been on for 15 minutes) Media server 23%, media player 20%.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,925 of 14,773
I don't even see led battery indicator, unless it is USA only

Yeah. The FM tuner, the LED indicator and the power rating of 10mW + 10mW would all appear to be incorrect—unless those are legitimate changes that have been made for the US version of the ZX2. I guess no one will know that for certain until they start shipping out the pre-orders.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #1,926 of 14,773
Strange behavior. Turned it off last night by powering down. This morning, turned it on and went into music selection screen,which showed for one second before briefly displaying message 'cannot access while connected to usb', then it started rebuilding the library. ????

2:36 hours usage. Battery down to 73%. I see 'device idle' using 23% of the battery.. What is that?

That's just all of the stuff that runs while your screen is off, but the device is on. Leave it on overnight, and it will be a lot bigger. Mine was charged, unplugged, listened to while I worked late last night, then left next to my bed while still on. My device idle usage is at 79%. EDIT: Note that this was a ZX1, YMMV, but it will be similar just not identical. 

RE: the message you got when first accessing your library, every time you boot Android, it does a new scan of your library, it should be quick, but your music is not accessible until this process is finished.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,927 of 14,773
That's just all of the stuff that runs while your screen is off, but the device is on. Leave it on overnight, and it will be a lot bigger. Mine was charged, unplugged, listened to while I worked late last night, then left next to my bed while still on. My device idle usage is at 79%. EDIT: Note that this was a ZX1, YMMV, but it will be similar just not identical. 

RE: the message you got when first accessing your library, every time you boot Android, it does a new scan of your library, it should be quick, but your music is not accessible until this process is finished.

Thanks. But why does it show device idle being on for over two hours when the player has been on for 15 minutes? So, it will not shut down on its own unless you power it down? If I fall asleep to music, and the album finishes, the player stays on? No auto shutoff after a certain amount of time?

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,928 of 14,773
Yeah. The FM tuner, the LED indicator and the power rating of 10mW + 10mW would all appear to be incorrect—unless those are legitimate changes that have been made for the US version of the ZX2. I guess no one will know that for certain until they start shipping out the pre-orders.

Lol if this is the truth for us version....but will see

I would not want FM radio in ZX2, more interference....and useless.....it is high-res, and I want the minimal 16/44.1 CD quality on it for the least minimum

I would not care too much about led indicator either.

I would also take 15mw/15mw over 10/10 anyday, all day :D

Anyway, non of those appear to be in mine, Japan version....so I am pretty happy with it :)

****Also**** the sound tunning off will make ZX2 appear to be less natural and organic....but rather more artificial and analytical....I am surprise with the bass beast as FX750 and I found it to be more flat and inline with the rest of the spectrum....I will say for sure in 2 more days :D or a week

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,929 of 14,773
Thanks. But why does it show device idle being on for over two hours when the player has been on for 15 minutes? So, it will not shut down on its own unless you power it down? If I fall asleep to music, and the album finishes, the player stays on? No auto shutoff after a certain amount of time?

That's the way Android (or even iOS) works.

If you fall asleep to music and the album finishes, Android goes into a "sleep" mode. It's similar to being shut off, in that it will turn off all radios and cease all function. HOWEVER, depending on what applications you have installed, how things are configured, etc. there can be times when programs will "wake" the system up. For example, if you have an email application and it's set up to check for updates every 15 minutes—that means, every 15 minutes, the email application will "wake" the system and enable the wi-fi radio to try and try to retrieve data. The system then goes back to "sleep" after completing the task.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,930 of 14,773
Trying out the zx2 with three headphones:

- koss ksc 35's (clip on the ear)
- DUNU titans (in ear)
- Beyer dynamic t 90's (full size)

All three have their advantages. For comfort koss wins (over the ear) and the sound is still great, though not as good as the other two. My head seems to overheat quickly so anything that can keep airflow going is the best for me. These would be my extended listening choice,

I bought the DUNU hoping I could get used to in ears, as I heard everyone raving how comfortable these are, but even with comply foam tips I can't stand them in my ears for more than 30 minutes. In fact, I prefer the included silicone tips for comfort, as they are cooler than foam and retain less heat. The Titans sound great at low volumes and no EQ is needed. Something about pressure in the ear canal and full seal does not suit me. I tried to get my wife to try them and she refused to try them even for 20 seconds as she is even more averse to IEM's. (I did manage to make the Titans more comfortable by moving them out a bit more. It's a tricky spot but with some manipulation they sit better and not so deep in the ear, but still retaining the sound)

The t 90's are the best compromise, giving best sound, while comfort level is better than Titans but not quite as good as Koss. Clear bass however, needs to be cranked up to 8 while it is not needed at all on the Titans. No amp needed, even with full size cans. Volume on ZX2 never went above 50%. I ran them with my Topping nx1 through digital out of zx2 but found no substantial gains. I also can't stand full headphones for more than an hour before overheating starts. So it's a bit of beyer, then usually back to koss to cool off. The Titans will likely be relegated to gym use.

Also, I went to an ENT this week and he said in ear plugs were a very bad idea health wise. "Nothing in your ear smaller than your elbow." He didn't even recommend them for swimming. Custom plugs are a better choice but still not a good idea. Something for all you IEM people to keep in mind. Moderation.

It would be great if the zx2 volume controls would work with a steady press, but you have to click for each increment up or down.

Ps - Did some side by side comparisons with the A17. The zx2 wins, but the difference in SQ was not as large as I expected. Sometimes I had to go back and forth quite a few times to hear the differences. If you're on a budget this makes the A17 a fantastic deal at $280. I am beginning to see the advantages of not having an operating system. The a17 boots in one second compared to 30 seconds needed for ZX2 and android. Most of the time, I only want to access music. I was spoiled. It now seems like a very long time to wait. But, I finally got spotify access and the abilty to download offline, so it's worth it.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,931 of 14,773

That's the way Android (or even iOS) works.

If you fall asleep to music and the album finishes, Android goes into a "sleep" mode. It's similar to being shut off, in that it will turn off all radios and cease all function. HOWEVER, depending on what applications you have installed, how things are configured, etc. there can be times when programs will "wake" the system up. For example, if you have an email application and it's set up to check for updates every 15 minutes—that means, every 15 minutes, the email application will "wake" the system to try and try to retrieve data.

Unless Sony added it, there isn't even a sleep mode. It turns off the display, but that's about it. The radios stay on unless you turn them off, unless you run an app designed to shut that stuff down for you. There are battery saving apps that can do that sort of thing. You have to realize that this device has more in common with your PC than an old MP3 player. Astell&Kern, iBasso, Fiio they all have similar microprocessors, but they run much more limited User interfaces. This runs Android in its full form, it's great if that's what you want. I want to stream music so the ZX1 was perfect. That said: Yes, it's going to drain battery more quickly, because it does more. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,932 of 14,773
I deleted almost every app in my ZX-1 and I power off every time I'm done with it (it powers down and powers up faster than my iPhone 6). I'll do the same with a ZX-2.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,933 of 14,773
The differences between sound adjustment on/off is distinctively
On:
Sounds more organic and realistic, more bass, quality, and sub bass
Off
Sounds much louder, but also is lacking that organic and realistic feelings, bass is much tighter , but less quantity and decays...also seems to preserve more battery

I figured out where and why some song tracks got distorted....because I ticked the box "Dynamic Normalizer".....dang you...the culprit....I would not have realized it, if it wasn't me trying to turn off sound adjustments app off :D

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,934 of 14,773
I wish the screen was more resistant to finger prints, since it is to be used with the screen as well as the buttons. Otherwise I am getting very good running time. After being on for an hour or two the battery indicator is still full. 

Per directions of posters here, I put my file into the music file that is created and then I can scan the folder section. It shows my subfiles, such as rock, jazz, classical and so on and I can go into them. I use 128and other sized cards with no problem and have used Toshiba and Sandisk so far. The Toshiba 64gb is made in Japan. I also got a longer USB cable on Amazon for 7 dollars with shipping. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back